A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweater Monster How-To, now go raid those closets!  (Read 4187 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , monster , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2013 02:21:11 PM »

Wanna see how I do it?

You'll need a sweater made of natural fiber, wool, angora, merino, alpaca, mohair. If you'd like to trim your monster with facial features, heart etc it's good to have some more fabric, I use other sweaters but if you've only got one for your project you can use felt. It's nice to use good quality felt because it's easier to work with and it holds up well, the craft stuff tends to get pills if it's exposed to friction (aka played with or loved up Wink ). If you need a small amount of good quality felt many suppliers offer sample packs or you can call out to fellow crafters (because this place is full of teh love you know).
Now, felt up your sweater! I put it into a hot water wash with some laundry soap and then into the dryer on hot. Sometimes I wash them more than once to get them really shrunk up good and tight. Take care to remove lint from the washer and dryer, there can be a lot.
Here's my pile of felted sweaters. Cut them apart, detach the arms, cut off all the inside seams, the neck band, buttons etc. You can save pockets to use on the back of monsters or as a mouth on the front piece if it will suit.

You will need to cut out a front and a back so two of the same shape. You can cut out whatever shape you like here but I often let the shape of the pieces inform the design. See?

Now the ears. You can use a piece of felt cut into any shape you like and it can be sewn in just like that or you can fold over one or both edges.

Ear with one folded edge.

Ear varieties.

If you'd like to use a different sort of fabric here woven (non-stretchy, like for quilting) fabric works too. You will cut out 4 of the same shape, I use the same fabric for the 2 fronts and a contrasting fabric for the back. Pin the ears together, fronts to backs. The right side or outside (that you want showing) of the fabric will be on the inside here. Sew around the ear shape as shown.

Take a sharp pair of scissors and trim the point of the ear being careful not to clip the stitches. This helps make the point pointy when you turn the ear right side out Smiley.

Turn the ear right side out and press it with a hot iron if needed to make it nice and flat.

The following shows how to insert the ears and where to sew. If you want to add arms you can do so here as well. They can be sewn from felted sweater fabric or felt or woven fabric like you did with the ears. You can stuff the shapes or not. If you do add stuffing make sure it's not in the way when you sew all the pieces together or your machine may have trouble with such a thick layer.
Remember that the body pieces will be right side in, that means that the fabric that you want to show on the outside will be on the inside for this step.
Sew around the body leaving an opening to turn right side out. You don't want a really big seam allowance here so if your stitching is pretty far from the edge of the fabric you can trim it a little, so that it's about 1/4 inch or a bit more. I recommend using pins to hold everything in place before you sew it together.

Want to add different coloured legs? Same process as the arms. You can add legs and arms and ears or any combination of the three, it's up to you and your imagination.

Now cut out some shapes to use as features, eyes, noses, mouths, teeth, hearts or whatever you'd like.
circles and hearts

Here are three finished monsters. You can see the addition of features and hearts. I sew these on by hand before stuffing the monster bodies so that I can tie off threads inside the body where they won't show but you can do it any way you wish. You can also embroider the features but sometimes stitches get lost in the fuzz of the wool.

You can use polyfil to stuff your monster or if you want to use up all the little scraps left over from the sweater you can clip them all up into tiny little bits and use that. It takes a while but it's really nice and makes a terrific fluffy monster as well as leaving no waste!

Now I'd love to see how you do it!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013 02:45:22 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013 03:11:05 PM »

This totally rocks!!! I love how your critters turned out! Thank you for sharing the 'how to'!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013 04:34:57 PM »

Nice job Monkey!  And thanks for sharing all your secrets Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013 05:32:20 PM »

Your monsters are wonderful. Thanks for sharing how you make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
P_E_S_T

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013 08:11:45 PM »

Sooooo making some as party gifts for next year Smiley
By the way - I use my sweater bits to make filler too - but guess what I do -------- I have an old kitchen blender I bought in a charity shop, and yup - I whizz em up in there Smiley  - don't use your actual lovely very expensive one though cos it messes with the blades
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013 06:23:05 AM »

I love that you used crayon drawings...Grin...perfect for your monster tutorial!  Very clear and simple...

The process may be simple, but your imagination really makes these little guys "alive" and precious...

Thanks for sharing your tips and technique as well as your obvious passion for making these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013 07:45:24 AM »

Love it! thanks for sharing, CLM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013 10:30:34 AM »

Now I'm going to have to start looking around for sweaters!  Craftster strikes again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have boxes of vintage piano music.  Some as old as 1890's!  PM me if you'd like some!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013 11:42:37 AM »

don't do it, dulcet...it is a road of no return...I am known at the Goodwill as that sweater lady...don't do it... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013 03:23:17 PM »

LOL, the thrift store gals call me the button girl Cheesy. Ha!

Pest, I was wondering if a blender would do it. I'll have to find a cheapy second hand model and give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Basics of Hat Loom Knitting
Loom Knitting Tips
Pin Wheel Stitching Comparison
The Disadvantage of Loom Knitting
How To Make Inexpensive Glamorous Christmas Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...