A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Back to School Lunch-along  (Read 1151 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2013 01:04:08 PM »

baby.sweets4ever is off to his first year of school in a couple of weeks (HOW did this happen so soon? Shocked).  Anyone interested in sharing children's pack lunch ideas, recipes and photos?

I found this great old thread for some ideas.  Let's think up new ideas and share some photos for this school year!

So... what ya packin'? Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lazurii

He did his first LOOK today!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013 01:55:29 PM »

I use nori sheets to make my own roasted seaweed snacks.  They kiddos love them.  I make sunbutter from roasted sunflower seed kernels (we're a nut-free classroom) and I'll pack it with apple slices or on celery sticks.

Another fun food takes a bit of time but hardly any work.  I'll pickle beets or make sauerkraut with red cabbage.  Once the beets or sauerkraut is gone I'll plop peeled hard boiled eggs into the remaining liquid.  The beet juice tuns the eggs hot pink while the red cabbage sauerkraut turns them deep blue.  The kids think they're very fun, and it's nice to dye food without all the nasty fake stuff.   Tongue

Making homemade "Lara Bars" is easy and tasty.  My usual recipe:  1/2 C + 1 T nuts (almonds, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, shelled pumpkin seeds, etc.), 1/2 C dried fruit (dates, apple rings, figs, dehydrated bananas (not the chips), dried blueberries, etc.), cinnamon or cocoa powder, and a small carrot.

Grind the nuts in a food processor until a coarse powder.  Add fruit, cinnamon or cocoa powder, and the carrot, chopped.  Process until it starts clumping.  Form into balls.  Roll in chia seeds or hemp hearts if desired.

Of course:  cherry tomatoes, berries, plums, fresh green beans, avocado halves, bananas, grapes, orange segments, cucumber slices, olives, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftscout
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013 07:11:00 AM »

*sigh* My oldest is going into Junior High this year and wants to pack her own lunches.  Maybe I will have her pack her brother's too, while I get breakfast made.  I used to do very elaborate bento style lunches, but over the years I have settled into a less decorative groove.

We don't do a lot of sandwiches, although that may change with the 11 year old in charge.  We do leftovers, or leftover transformations (i.e., put the main dish + tortilla + cheese; main dish + pasta + additional vegetables; main dish + rice).  I also like making big batches of baked goods and throwing them in the freezer (muffins, mini muffins, scones, etc.).  Whenever I make extra rice, it goes in the freezer, too (short grain gets made into onigiri).  I also like to make big batches of macaroni and cheese and freeze the leftovers in muffin cups.  My kids love tortilla roll-ups of all kinds, and big salads, too.

We're going to try to do vegetable prep on weekends, so there is something like a salad bar in the fridge all week for lunch making, with peeled carrot sticks, celery sticks, sliced cucumbers, sliced or diced green peppers, washed and chopped lettuce, homemade dressing, and cherry tomatoes.  That way DD can make a salad for lunch or just tuck in some extra veggies and dip whenever there's an empty space in the box.  Or they can be used for making other lunch items without too much work in the morning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013 06:49:15 AM »

Ahhhh!  LOVING these ideas!  I'm making a list. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013 05:10:46 PM »

We premake pizza pops, ham and cheese pockets, taco pockets, what ever else you can stuff in a pocket pockets and freeze them. (As long as there is access to a microwave, these ideas will work.)

I also make big batches of healthy cookies and stick them in the freezer.

I do like that idea of a salad bar in the fridge. that would make for easier mornings.  I wish fruit kept longer cut up like that, though, we have big fruit eaters.

Thank you, Lazurii for that Lara bar recipe.  I'll have to try it out nut free, since our whole school is a nut free environment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013 10:18:56 PM »

I used to do simple bentos for myself in university.

*  pocket sandwiches:  spread filling in center of two slices of bread, squish with other side of a large circle cookie cutter, and then cut it out with the right side.  Can be frozen in multiples.
*  faux fried rice:  cook rice, add frozen veggies, soy sauce, garlic powder.  Stir together and microwave until hot.  Was fast and easy, and can be done with leftover rice.
*  real fruit jam:  cook fruit of choice down, with a little water and sweetener of choice.  It's done when it sticks to a spoon.  (You can also add wine/mead to it.)  Also good for getting rid of slightly soft fruit.
*  preserving colour in fruit/fake Grapples:  Take grape juice (I used white Welch's), and slice up apples.  Stick 'em in the juice, and fish 'em out again.  They taste like the grape juice and don't go brown at all.
*  holding sauce in a seperate container:  I used Kinder Surprise eggs (they are a chocolate egg that has a toy capsule inside), the capsule is really leak proof.  Smiley
*  cornbread muffins:  Use sweet or savory cornbread and add whatever fillings you think will go great with 'em.  I've had chopped up hot dogs in 'em.  The best part is that they tuck nicely into the lunch box and can freeze well as well.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013 11:37:21 AM »

This isn't for lunch, but I sent it for his classroom snack day.  His school is nut-free and has pretty strict nutrition guidelines, so it was tricky, but I complied! Grin

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427234.0#axzz2fSY9tloW
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013 11:39:29 AM »

I've been doing a lot of compartmentalized lunches for him (almost 5-years).  For the lunch box he chose, these containers seem to work best for us http://store.goodbyn.com/category_s/87.htm  We're in one of those monthly-subscription box programs and got one to try (along with dishwasher safe stickers for it!).  Tried it.  Fell in love.  Perfect portions.  Fits his lunchbox.

Today he had waffles (cut into sticks for fun), blueberries/strawberries/raisin salad, bacon and milk.

Yesterday he had pasta (no sauce -- his preference), meatballs, corn, blueberries and milk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013 11:59:30 AM »

Those are neat containers! We bought Rubbermaid lunchblox. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=FoodStorage&SubcatId=LunchBlox&Prod_ID=RP092020&Redirect=1

since the boys don't much like entree style foods (silly kids) we went with the sandwich ones. They either get crackers and cheese or cut up fruit and cheese in the small and medium ones, and yogurt in the other small one. I do end up wrapping thier cookies separately, though, since there isn't another block for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
White Balance Chronicles
The Secret to Smart Screenwriting
Derek Haas on What Makes Hollywood Nervous
The Importance of Creative Collaboration
How to Write Scripts in Hollywood
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...