A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,219
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anniversary Challenge Entry  (Read 1354 times)
Tags for this thread: kiln_formed_glass , fused_glass , craftsters_10th_anniversary_cross_category_challenge , category_challenge_winner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GlassKicker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 13, 2013 11:44:37 AM »

Craftster has been AMAZING for me.   I actually stumbled across Craftster while looking for some info on quilt binding or the like.  I was stunned that I'd never heard of Craftster and even more surprised to see that Craftster had a GLASS CRAFTS board!  That was pretty cool, but then I learned about swaps - woah!  That's where it really became addicting.  This such an incredibly supportive and nurturing community - it's actually a very unique place on the net, might even make a great study for someone's thesis project somewhere.

To me, Craftster is encouragement and confidence.  Like many folks, I can be my own worst critic - honestly, I'm worse than New York theater critic at an absolutely horrendous production.  I know this, but can't always shush that voice inside.  The community here is incredibly positive and encouraging.  Plus, I have had the honor of some truly wonderful swap partners who have helped to encourage me to try new things and expand my techniques. 

This piece is a 're-do' of one I made just about a year ago when my baby brother was getting married.  They decided to get married at Lake Powell in Arizona, as they went boating/camping there every summer.  I'm ashamed to admit that most of us were admittedly a bit annoyed about the travel time and interruptions to our life, but once we arrived, the beauty of the place was overwhelming - and I quickly realized that it was important to my brother and his new wife that they share this place with friends and family.  The wedding invitation had a faded photo of a section of Lake Powell for the background, and I wanted to capture that in glass.  I did not like the final piece and it wound up in the scrap heap that eventually became part of a pot melt and I wound up giving them a purchased gift and cash.  Sad.

Fast forward a year later and it is their first anniversary and Craftster's 10th!  I decided to try and redo the piece for this challenge.  The final piece is approximately 10" x 16" - slightly too large for my baby photo box.  I used fiber paper to create texture during the fuse and the blank was slumped over an S-curve shaped mold.  There are things I will change on this design as my skill set continues to improve.  That is the beauty of Craftster for me - I have learned to recognize that my skills will improve with experience and to enjoy the process of learning technique and to appreciate and learn from the results produced along the way.  I've also learned to understand that others may find some aesthetic value in my work, despite the constant grating nagging from my inner critic.  Thanks to the kind folks of generous spirit that make up this beautiful community, this piece will be packaged up and shipped off to their new home in Florida this afternoon.  Hopefully it will be a cherished reminder of a beautiful day shared with friends and family.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013 11:48:15 AM »

GlassKicker...I don't even have words.  I have been on Craftster for many years, and what I'm known for is spoiling.  Wink  You've basically just joined, and yet you are known for how thoughtful and generous you are and I know that TONS of other people on Craftster are in absolute AWE of your talents!  Please send that nagging voice to the curb, b/c you are a very talented and kind individual.

P.S.  I think this latest piece is the BOMB, just like all your other work!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013 12:50:29 PM »

This is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013 01:12:40 PM »

It is incredibly beautiful and tranquil...when I see your pieces, I feel very emotional...so I know it is a good piece when my heart and soul feels something!

I know it will be admired in a new home...

Also, I always enjoy your eloquent and carefully wrought stories...they do add to my sense of knowing you as a member of this community!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013 01:35:05 PM »

This piece is gorgeous. I'm sure it will be well loved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013 01:55:47 PM »

Beautiful story and beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bendog
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013 04:02:14 PM »

Lovely piece and an amazing story to go with it. I have yet to buy a mould like this one although I will soon (I hope).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013 07:45:37 PM »

Agree with everyone, such a great story and piece of art. I'm glad you found Craftster too! You've been such a help to me one the glass boards. Also I hear you're quite the swap partner. Smiley Good luck in the challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GlassKicker

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013 10:27:22 AM »

Thanks, everyone!  I'm not a very touchy-feely person, but ya'all give me the warm-fuzzies.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Muticolor Shatter Nail Mani Tutorial
How to Apply Foundation the Right Way
How to Get a Pretty Bronze Eye
Snookie Makeup Tutorial for Halloween!
Bumble Bee Halloween Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...