A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster: Inspired Crafting - Fused Glass Sewing Dish  (Read 916 times)
Tags for this thread: fused_glass , sewing_machine , kiln_formed_glass , craftsters_10th_anniversary_cross_category_challenge  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flutter-by
« on: August 13, 2013 09:30:17 PM »

To me, Craftster is about sharing projects, inspiring and encouraging others and receiving the same time.

It was based on the amazing projects that I found on the glass board that convinced me to take a local glass fusing class. Inspired by the pictorial rather than abstract dishes and tiles that I've seen here, in my final project of the class I combined glass fusing with my other passion, sewing. I used black frit on clear glass to roughly create the shape of an old sewing machine.

Prior to taking this glass fusing class, I had been pretty focused on sewing and never really ventured into other crafts. I now keep this dish displayed on the dresser in my bedroom to remind myself to continue to stretch and try new things while not giving up on my current projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013 07:28:38 AM »

That dish looks great! I really love the blue lines and dots in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013 08:58:28 AM »

Love this dish, and that you are so inspired by Craftster to venture to other areas. Good luck in the challenge. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GlassKicker
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013 10:22:10 AM »

I love that you combined the two crafts!  Did you make your own stencil, or 'free from' the frit?  It's quite lovely.  I've been taking some quilting classes and have moved on from basic rail fence and fat quarter patterns to my current attempt at an Ohio Star pattern - but I'm even more excited to be attempting to produce the same block in glass!  Still deciding whether it should remain flat, as a wall/standing display piece, or should be slumped into a square mold or one of those funky 'origami' shapes.

I'm always excited to see others take up glass work - I try and share it with friends and family as often as I can.  Do you plan on taking further classes or utilizing studio time for more glass projects?  There are some amazing artists who combine glass and fiber work - stunning stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flutter-by
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013 11:02:19 AM »

It took me a while to figure out how to get the machine. I tried free-handing one, and didn't like the way it turned out - guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I ended up printing a sewing machine silhouette image on white paper and sliding it under the clear glass that I was building on. So, I could see the basic lines but could easily change them without needing to completely draw on my own.

"Quilting" with glass sounds like a great idea. I can't believe I never thought of that while I was taking my class. I'll have to try that sometime in the future - I would like to take other classes in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bendog
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013 03:37:46 PM »

I love this dish and the reasons your chose to make it and keep it in view.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Towel Cake
How to Make a Toga
How to Make an Elf Costume
How to Make a Paper Balloon Water Bomb
How to Make a No-Sew Safety Pin Purse
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...