A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
767 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fill my advent calendar swap?  (Read 657 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 03, 2013 01:42:33 PM »

Is anyone interested in an advent calendar swap?

An advent calendar has one surprise everyday from December 1st till December 24th and sometimes a bigger surprise for December 25th. It's fun to make for loved ones but it's also great to receive. Most have little pockets or boxes to fill for each day. This swap would be for those who already have an empty advent calendar or no calendar at all. It could be for yourself or for anybody you choose. You would receive 24 little gifts already wrapped.

To minimize the shipping cost, you could send 24 gifts to one partner or two times 12 gifts to two partners. Half to all of the items should be crafted, a maximum of half of the items could be bought.
example of bought items: supplies for your partner that you buy for the swap or that you have at home( fabric, ribbons, washi tape...), crafting kits( you could make these), food...

You could send 24 unrelated gifts or up to 24 gifts that go together, like mix-and-match jewelry, a winter inchie village with each house counting as one day, a miniature scene, doll accessories, felted food...

sign-up until Oct. 20 and send by Nov. 20

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013 07:48:02 PM »

Oh, how I do love Advent calendars.

One thing that occurs to me is that your partner would probably have to inform you of the dimensions of the calendar you're crafting for.  For example, last year I made one out of a mini muffin tin, and it could only hold very small pieces of candy.  Now clearly, I wouldn't ask a partner to craft for this particular calendar... but it would be sad to have your partner craft something awesome for you, only to have it not fit in your calendar.

You know what I think would be totally awesome?  Pick a design element for an advent calendar (for example, a matchbox advent calendar, felt badge calendar, ball ornament calendar... just thinking of things I've seen on Pinterest), and have your partner(s) craft the separate parts of the calendar and you assemble it.  Sort of like an altered puzzle piece swap.  Perhaps that's too involved... but man, it sure would be neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
yoopidou

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013 11:16:39 AM »

your partner would probably have to inform you of the dimensions of the calendar you're crafting for. 
Yes, if you already own an advent calendar, you would be able to infrom your partner of the maximum size for each gift.

You know what I think would be totally awesome?  Pick a design element for an advent calendar (for example, a matchbox advent calendar, felt badge calendar, ball ornament calendar... just thinking of things I've seen on Pinterest), and have your partner(s) craft the separate parts of the calendar and you assemble it.  Sort of like an altered puzzle piece swap.  Perhaps that's too involved... but man, it sure would be neat.
Would that be crafting the advent calendar itself? Would the pieces be the gifts, like an ornament to put up in the tree everyday?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mom2em
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013 04:06:41 PM »

I don't need another advent calender but I love the idea of receiving little gifts to fill them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Christine~
Proud SAHM to Emma (11/14/07) and Abigail (6/16/11).
http://www.etsy.com/people/mom2em/favorites?ref=pr_faves
http://pinterest.com/mom2em/
dfabbric

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013 04:12:33 PM »

I like the idea of just 24 1" or 2" items. It will be more fun to have 1 partner so you can work towards something. Even if you don't it's still an option. Then it's not just a treat everyday, but a surprise gift at the end when you put it all together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013 08:22:22 PM »

Would that be crafting the advent calendar itself? Would the pieces be the gifts, like an ornament to put up in the tree everyday?

Yeah, my idea was to craft the advent calendar itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
yoopidou

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013 12:09:05 AM »

Yeah, my idea was to craft the advent calendar itself.
That would be two different swaps. Fill free to organize a swap to create the advent calendar itself.

I don't need another advent calender but I love the idea of receiving little gifts to fill them!
As I already own a beautiful advent calendar that Limeriot crafted for me last year, I don't need a new calendar either. I 'd be happy to organize a swap to fill the calendar.

I like the idea of just 24 1" or 2" items. It will be more fun to have 1 partner so you can work towards something. Even if you don't it's still an option. Then it's not just a treat everyday, but a surprise gift at the end when you put it all together.

Good idea!
Maybe each participant could choose if he wants to craft and receive things that all go together or not. Or maybe, some gifts should go together but not all need to.

Each participant could give five themes, write what kind of stuff he would like to receive and to make, what he absolutely doesn't want to get, the maximum size for each gift and for whom the calendar would be. Does that sounds good to you? What did I forget?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smileyyogini

Yarn Junkee

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013 09:12:59 PM »

OMG! 24 tiny things. How amazing would that be!!? I might be in for this one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiles,
Melody

www.MelodyCrochet.c om
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Smileyyogini
http://pinterest.com/smileyyogini

Shipping Hoopla "Words"
Crafting/Co-Organizing Anime Swap
Waiting for Partners on Video Game Swap
Stalking Another TM Swap

I LOVE PERSONAL SWAPS!
yoopidou

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013 11:41:06 AM »

OMG! 24 tiny things. How amazing would that be!!? I might be in for this one. Smiley

That was my idea too! Wink

As there was very little interest about this swap Cry, it won't happen this year. I have invited a partner in the IYP swap to swap for the 24 tiny gifts with me. You could do the same if you wanted to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 4/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 3/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 5/13
How to Crochet a 10 Chain Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 10/14
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...