A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help! what should i price these at if i sell them  (Read 376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artista83
« on: August 12, 2013 07:53:08 PM »

Moved from: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=413.0

i am hoping to start selling things soon. i gave this one in a swap. but i am making other dolls to sell but i have no idea how to price stuff. i am hoping for real number examples please! here are some things i need ideas for prices

not this doll but other ones probably not conjoined. i have 5 heads done so far for dolls. and i am selling the brushes, not as a set. all ideas appreciated. maybe scrappy dolls too but not sure , and sculpted eggs
i do not want to price by time and supply cost. any ideas about how much?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013 06:14:46 PM »

You should try asking this question on the Crafty Business Advice board:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=101.0#axzz2bty7I0lv

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013 09:01:00 AM »

My only suggestion would be: calculate how much you spend on materials, calculate how much time you spend on each project, then calculate how much your time is worth.  I think if you added all that up, you could come up w/a price for each item. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjr107
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013 09:31:35 PM »

Someone told me once that you should consider pricing things the price you actually want for the item.  If you know you put tons of time and effort into something, price it high.  If its one of the easy things that you can make ten in an hour and they are just cluttering up your work table cause they are so much fun and so easy to make.... price them lower.  I used to "attempt" to sell my pieces and wasn't getting anywhere.  Someone finally made the comment that I had my prices to low and undervalued myself (and yes, I know some people have heard me talk about this before).  I did sell a santa I made once and the lady had walked up to me and just said, "I'll take it".  I looked at her in shock and asked her if she wanted to know how much it was... she said "its fine, I'll take it"  WOW! 
So some of it is yes what the market will bear but also how much you value your work.  Don't apologize for what you are charging, they wouldn't be considering buying it if they could make it themselves!

-pj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artista83
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013 10:38:47 AM »

yeah i think my problem with pricing is my low self esteem. i did a search on etsy and i saw one person sells their dolls at 60$ but they are alot less work into them. most all the other ones i saw are 100$ and up. i tried to compare how the dolls look. i just guess i don't know if i should try the going rate which seems to be 100$ or if that is too much, i just have such low self esteem when it comes to my work. or wondered if i should place them btw 60 and 100$.

currently i have the heads of about 4 dolls made and i have to work on the bodies and such. been swapping so much i have been using up my materials lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
pjr107
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013 07:59:06 AM »

yeah i think my problem with pricing is my low self esteem. i did a search on etsy and i saw one person sells their dolls at 60$ but they are alot less work into them. most all the other ones i saw are 100$ and up. i tried to compare how the dolls look. i just guess i don't know if i should try the going rate which seems to be 100$ or if that is too much, i just have such low self esteem when it comes to my work. or wondered if i should place them btw 60 and 100$.

currently i have the heads of about 4 dolls made and i have to work on the bodies and such. been swapping so much i have been using up my materials lol.

OH I know that one.... I don't sell anything because of that.  There was a comment on another board I go to and it did bother me a bit about pricing.  She was saying about how when you just break into the market you can only sell your pieces for $60-$100 and then when you are established you can raise your prices to be $200-$250 and then after you get a following can you raise your prices to $500 and up.  While that maybe true, us low esteemers need to bite the bullet and price without flinching.  That's how many other people make it, the price and don't bat an eye when someone bitches.  Look at Picasso... he used to write check for EVERYTHING because his signature was worth more than what he was paying for and those people used to not deposit the checks. And he couldn't even get the eyes in the right place!

-pj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetable Sushi for Kids
How to Roll Lumpia
How to Make Cucumber Raita
How to Make Boondi Raita
How to Make Eggplant Raita
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...