A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Challenge? CHALLENGE?? Bring it on!!  (Read 1117 times)
Tags for this thread: craftsters_10th_anniversary_cross_category_challenge , rrr_cross_category_challenge_entry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 13, 2013 08:47:51 PM »

Craftster means a great deal to me. Mostly it means an opportunity to spread my wings and fly out of my comfort zone. I have learned many many new things from this wonderful group of people. And that's what Craftster is - THE PEOPLE.

To reuse this antique type set holder, I decided to do a crash course in Craftster. I did something from every section. Not an easy task in this amount of time, with jobs, gardening, volunteering, and a family reunion right in the middle of it all.
This is the system when I got it ($10 at the thrift shop.)

And here it is filled up with goodies...

To start with, allow me to introduce ya'll to Acadian Driftwood, my wonderful daughter who got me started with Craftster...

I will turn just about anything into a pair of earrings. There will be others to see in this post.
Now, at the top of this conglomeration is a pair of hands, representing all of the good work my hands did to make this.

My left thumb has not worked properly in years (even after 3 surgeries) and at times I could not craft at all. Now my right thumb is beginning to go! I decided to paint the thumbs turquoise ( my fave color) in an effort to tell them I still love them.
Moving on to whatever shows up next - I will name the category for each piece.
Top of the case is Brain Soap (bath and beauty) and is not just my first humorous soap, but my first soap at all.

Also in this pic, an ATC of a photo I took of one of the kids I nanny for. He is 9. I decided he needed to learn how to run this machine. He loved it!! (Paper Crafts and Crafting for Good and not Evil.)
Paperclip earrings (jewelry), a cherry tomato from my garden (grown from seed... it is my baybeee!) (Home sweet home) and the first of 9 placecard setting for tomorrow's family reunion (home sweet home.) The base is a river-washed brick from the mill that burned down here 100 years ago, the support ball is a Sycamore seed ball and the tag is Sycamore bark which is alllll over our back yard.
A couple of inchies in there (papercrafts.) Also, a link to me singing (gulp) a song on youtube. Don McClean wrote the original, I changed the lyrics for my own life. I figured Craftster would be a great place to begin talking about writing and music as a craft.
Um, let's see.... herb markers made from milk jugs, painted with nail polish.
Sticks taken off to fit into case, but here is a pic of one in my basil as it should be. (home sweet home)

Youtube link - if it does not show up with my old camera, go to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC0Ik3k91j0&feature=youtu.be

more inchies, more earrings, altered car from my childhood, (recycle) and here it is in its original form.

The dun-colored rolled up object with red bits is the following -
(clothing category)

cut off sleeves of silk t shirt, cut thumb hole, instead of seams, I did French knots all around.
Below that, my first baby booties (knitting) and to the right in white, my first crochet (handle of a towel- the rest has gone awry.)

Above the earrings featuring my daughter, a cat toy made from a lady's stocking. Stuffed with my own home-grown catnip. Embroidered eyes, will go straight to kitty's hands once this has been safely posted. (home sweet home.)
To right of that, my own invention... old sewing patterns soaked in glue and pressed into a plastic easter egg to dry to an egg shape (recycle). then in the fibers category... a 'vase' made from my dog's hair. he has not been with us for 9 years, but he lives on in this creation. And it is for storing cat whiskers - can you see them? I now have 1000 due to the fact that I have been finding them on the floors during my cat rescue years.
dog fur before..

You will not be able to see the tiny mouse made from an apple seed...
Snickers Ice Cream wrapper bracelet (jewelry)
close up

lower right, a quilted eyeglass rug for hubby. If he can just learn to put them there each time he gets up from the sofa, he will stop losing them.
Closer pic...

My fave creation of the whole thing is my stick puppets (toy category) made from a dead cicada and 2 shedded skins. I call them Cyril the Steampunk Cicada and his sidekicks Sister Skin and Skelly.
Close ups

top hat, cane made from a vine, home made wire glasses, scarf from old stocking, tiny screws to add steampunk feel.

this gal has lace edges from an old doily and colored sewing hooks and wig hair.

dude has a mustache from wig hair. hat is beret, made from stick-on shelf protector.
Also here, turquoise burlap bookmark  (home sweet home?)
close up

and aluminum ribbon embroidery (needlework) and two figures flanking a crafting for good and not evil project (figures self-explanatory). the rock is for my new 11-year-old friend whom I am officially mentoring.
ATC of my latest kitty rescue, name of Gandolf (photography) and there are dozens of whiskers on the card.
Fridge magnet of  daisy I pressed last spring.
close up of before and after

(are ya still with me??)
Craftster ATC with various letters including one burned with a woodburning tool and an S cut from a stamp in the shape of a dollar sign as a joke about how much money I have spent on postage for swaps.
My first ever Gorilla tape purse (purses/wallets) with a bit of medical tape on it (white)
Globe representing the world of Craftster all over the map. Put a birthday hat on it. A painted oak gall.
put my tin of stickum there to show how all these goodies do not fall off the shelves!

altered tin with sheet music on it,
several more place markers for the reunion,
a bud vase made from weird stuff... long container from an eyeglass repair kit, base is the sign from a medical alert bracelet,
and there is the cork man! except I gave him paintbrush hair, a bark hat, and seed pod feet.
to the right, my own Italian Deviled Egg recipe. no mayo, use marinara sauce instead, finely diced zucchini, fresh oregano, salt and pepper. (cooking)
before pic...

altered matchbox
closeup

(clay/pottery section) I made a turtle out of a stone from the river. Sculpy.

What does one do with 4 pretty matches? make a wee table with a bark top.

Altered thimble... rock base, I use it to hold my needles, stuck into that fluffy hair ribbon from the 1960s. miscellaneous category.

Think I have only the huge pic of the following...
My first glass attempt. Got out hubby's blowtorch and went at it!

more art, less craft, again painted on the ubiquitous sycamore bark

Lastly for the Holidays section, a covered acorn ornament.

I have run out of camera battery so cannot do more detail of other inchies and such. Will have to show off more stuff at a later point in another thread.
All in all, Craftster has been wonderful for me and I wish all the happiest of birthdays. May we go on forever.
blu

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013 08:44:52 AM »

So inventive!  I love me a shadowbox!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013 05:13:07 PM »

I am in awe! I can't believe how much craftiness you crammed in there...each little thing had so much thought about what craftster has meant to you & the love put into it....it's just, wow! I hope folks really take the time to look & read & absorb everything that you did. I have to say the little steampunk cicada puppet characters are my favorite...they're just so awesome in many ways. Keep on mentoring your 11 year old friend. Crafting will be a lifelong joy & craftster will need future members.  Cheesy

*this rocks!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013 06:25:21 AM »

I am in awe of your display as well!  So many different skills and techniques...things that worked for you and things that didn't---it is a personal history of your crafting life!

I love all the wee things...the thimble, the bark table, the atc's, the crazy steampunk cicada...

blupaisan--just a fabulous tribute to Craftster and yourself!  It is also wonderful that your daughter is a member and you are mentoring others as well...it has been a pleasure seeing your projects (especially your art, notecards, atc's)...and double the pleasure of getting to "know" you
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013 06:25:57 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013 05:32:08 AM »

Thanks so much for all of your kind words! This project is temporarily behind a closed closet door, as we have a new kitten and he is veerrrrrry interested in yanking little things off the shelves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
katiej
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013 05:14:04 AM »

I love the thought and effort that is behind every item in this. Well done!
And good job on hiding it away from the kitty too...kittens don't understand 'special' things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Slow Shutter Speed to Create Leading Light
How to Photograph with Storm Lighting
How to Create Beauty Lighting
How to Photograph Spontaneously
How to Understand Psychological Impact of a Subject
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...