A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 309,976
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stripey Sock Monsters - Hand Sewn - pic heavy  (Read 1197 times)
Tags for this thread: craftsters_10th_anniversary_cross_category_challenge  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ratfinkz
Rataholic

Animal Mad!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 12, 2013 06:27:06 PM »

Hello! What does Craftster mean to me? It means a LOT of things - which I have tried to represent in this challenge.

Firstly and mainly Craftster means learning and improving skills and techniques, challenge yourself to get ever better, looking at a project and thinking 'I've never done this - but I'll darn well give it a go!" or if starting from scratch to think 'that's something i've always wanted to do - so I'll jolly well do it"

With that in mind on my recent honey moon (beginning of July) I saw a kit for a sock monkey, and having wanted to learn how to make one for ages - I decided to give it a go. This was the result

Having made him I wasn't at all happy with him - I'd followed the instructions completely - but along the way found things I personally would do differently.

A large part of Craftster for me is also swaps - the majority of my posts will be found there - I love crafting for others and making new friends. Because I knew I could improve on the first monkey - and learn as I went on, but knowing I would not perservere in making them unless there was a purpose to them - I decided to join up to the Sweat Shoppe Swap and make a further six to send out - of course I'd do them as best as I could - and hopefully they would be liked by their recipients - but I also would gain a massive amount from it - by having time to perfect them!

So - here is the first I did with my own pattern - he is a lot bigger than my kit one and whilst I was pleased with him - I saw many improvements that could be made for my next one - the main part I did not like were his ears, or how scruffy it looked where he'd been sewn together - also his tail was not great, I liked it being thinner than the original - but I went TOO thin! and then there is the one leg being longer than the other......

Monkey number three had improvements on his ears and tail - but I couldnt work out what to do to make the sewing on of the piece neater (his ears look much closer to being the same size IRL!) I still wasn't 100% happy with the ears - but the good news is that whilst I was sewing him - I had a brainwave - why not make a hem on the parts of his limbs that will attach to his body - that way the will not be all the straggly ends where i'd cut the sock - I have no idea why I didn't think of it sooner! DUH! BUT his legs are at least the same size!!!

Finally monkey number four was sewn today - with the limbs hemmed as worked out last night - and he is definitely my best by far - he is the main 'entry' to the competition as he is a culmination of what I said earlier I liked about Craftster, challenge, learning, and improving - I much prefer the neatness of his limbs, his ears were done in a totally different way - I used different buttons for his eyes! I know I need to do his mouth again - but it was 12:30am my partner has to be up at 4:30 and was waiting up with me - so I was kind of hurried - I doubt I'll be able to get them up tomorrow hence doing it now (where it is now 2am - am posting in the dark sat in bed with my OH snoring!)

hmm sorry about weird colour - the others show much better colour!

his eyes are the same colours - stupid flash - this shows that a bit better

Another part of Craftster to me is the internationality (is that a word - it is now!) with so much war, hate and prejudice in the world it is amazing to find a corner where there is none - everybody is treated differently - no matter where they live or where they come from! There's not many places like that anymore Sad With that in mind I decided to make all my monkeys different - both in colour and in features - they are all individuals just like we all are - but they are friends with each other and accept each other for who they are - as this picture shows:

So yes - I think that about sums up what Craftster means to me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND A MASSIVE THANK YOU CRAFTSTER! XXX

(I do have some work in progress shots - but I think this is image heavy enough! I might make a tutorial at some stage if anyone is interested)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have an Etsy shop selling my genuine gemstone wirework jewellery - Pretty Twisted Gems
My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
CraftyLadyMJ

A crafting I'll go...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013 01:54:42 AM »

Adorable sock monkeys and my favorite is the rainbow monkey.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summer HPC 2013
No more cellphone headaches!
Ratfinkz
Rataholic

Animal Mad!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013 01:56:07 AM »

Aww thank you =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have an Etsy shop selling my genuine gemstone wirework jewellery - Pretty Twisted Gems
My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
louhi
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013 09:00:12 AM »

I love them all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013 11:02:03 AM »

Love the colors you choose for your bunch of monkeys.

It's great to see how you improved from the first one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Hot Hot Pads
March 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Chandelier Earrings

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...