A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
832 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there a market for purse patterns/kits?  (Read 819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 12, 2013 07:35:41 AM »

I've been selling purses and bags for a few years now, on Etsy and at craft fairs, and although I love it and have done pretty well at it, I simply don't have the time to do it anymore. I work full time and have a 7 month old so my sewing time is very limited. The problem is that I have a TON of fabric and notions and I will never have time to sew with all that fabric.

My idea was to write up some of my patterns and sell them with the fabric as kits. I've seen it done with quilts. But I'm wondering if there is a market for this product? I did an Etsy search and found some kits for clasp style clutches but that was about it. I was thinking I could put these on Etsy or sell them at a popular local craft fair where I've gotten a lot of purse sales in the past. The main clientele is hipster/crafty types. It's a holiday fair and a lot of people are gift shopping.

I'm not sure if it will take off though for several reasons. One, some people like handmade bags but are not confident enough to sew one themselves. Two, a lot of people like to choose their own fabric for purses. Also, I was thinking of doing a variety of difficulties. Simple clutches and zipper pouches, all the way up to a fully interfaced, many pocketed messenger bag. Any advice is appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013 07:36:23 AM by oneyedsally » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013 09:32:49 AM »

Well, if you already have the fabric and a decent start on the tutorials it might be worth a shot! You won't be out much. I think this kind of thing has good potential, but you're right, you probably need a variety of difficulties. I think simple to intermediate might be best. Once someone is up to a more intermediate skill level they can generally make things on their own, so you'll have to have great fabric or great styles of bags for the more difficult ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadsbycelleste
Everyone is creative, you just have to find your motivation!

Oh! A new craft?! Can I try?? Pleeeaaaseee!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013 02:52:31 PM »

I've been working on getting better at sewing lately, focusing on zippered clutch purses and tablet cases, but I'm always on the lookout for a unique pattern or style to try out. I mostly like to figure out the pattern myself or find free ones, but there are some tutorials that I would be willing to pay for if it's maybe a new style or pattern I don't see in stores (local or online) and if there's something special about it that I can't figure out myself.

If I were a beginner however, and unsure of my skills to the point I didn't want to buy a whole bunch of fabric to try, only to screw it up... or even if it's that I don't want to have to figure out the measuring thing at first.... I'd totally be the type of person to want to buy a pattern WITH the cuts of fabric or just the right amount to do the project, all in a convenient kit.

The catch for me is PICTURES. I get very frustrated, no matter what skill level the tutorial or instructions may be if the pictures and/or description of the steps involved are indecipherable (worse when there's NO pictures)!! Being that I've been sewing and making things now for a while though, there is still an occasional tutorial I find that I just have to look up an alternate or more detailed instructions on a certain step as I can't figure out what the heck they're telling me to do!!

Another recommendation would be try not to use so similar of fabrics, or the same exact color, for things like lining and exterior fabrics. One of the bad tutorials was using the same fabric for both pieces so I couldn't tell what was what exactly in the pictures... or the first time making a zippered clutch, I couldn't figure out what she was doing with the flip bc the lining and the interfacing were both white in the pictures....  Huh Huh Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013 07:11:02 AM »

If you had time to cut out the fabric pieces, I bet they would sell that much better, and you could include some extra fabric in case of an accident or whatnot.

It seems to me if you're doing "OK" on selling pre-made bags, you should be OK picking out fabrics for the half-DIYers. And I agree to keep to beginner and intermediate folks. Anyone more skilled wouldn't need a kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013 05:51:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I think the fabric combinations I use is typically what draws people to my bags. I wish I had time to make them all myself. Sad

I don't have tutorials ready to go yet unfortunately, but I will definitely include tons of pictures! Also I think what confuses people sometimes when making bags is interfacing, sometimes patterns aren't very clear or list brands that are unavailable. If I include it, it takes out the guesswork.

I will have to consider cutting the pieces out vs. just including a large enough cut. Maybe I can do both. Some of the more advanced sewists might appreciate a little room for creativity, but beginners might prefer everything ready to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013 01:40:06 AM »

Once you have your tutorial/patterns made, you could sell them as a stand alone item & then offer your fabric combos separately, then link your tutorial listings within your fabric combo listings & it will give your shop an seo boost. The tutorial/patterns could be set up as instant downloads too...so if someone just wants to buy the pattern, they download it from etsy once they've paid & you won't have to run to the post office. I hope you do well! I've bought tons of fabric & patterns over the years, so I know there's folks like me out there interested!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 1/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 15/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 10/21
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 8/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 9/9
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...