A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: House bunny  (Read 246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruckamuck
« on: July 08, 2014 11:00:30 AM »

Recently my dad gave my two boys a pet rabbit. I've had a rabbit before, but that was  years ago and she wasn't a house pet. So here I am.
I have a cage for her, the necessities and a few extras. We went and got her a pet carrier cause my 6 year old son LOVES to take her with him everywhere he can.  I've bought her treats and a few toys that are 'rabbit' approved, which she has quickly torn apart.
Not a problem, except these things are kind of pricey. For example, 5$ for a small ball that she'll have apart within a day or two. The pet carrier itself was close to 40$. I can't afford to get her a brand new toy every single day.

I've looked all over the internet and a few books, and with the limited amount of time that I have to spend online all the information tends to get overwhelming. So my question is: do any of you have any suggestions or advice to give me so that I can make toys, treats, better housing for our bunny. I don't want her just sitting in a cage like a lump. I know that I ramble so my apologies.

Oh, and I was wondering if the trees and exercise equipment that is designed for cats would be okay for a rabbit?

Here's a pic of my son and our Mr. Carrot! (Yes, Mr. Carrot - my son likes the name. The lady at the pet store tried to tell him it's a female and Mr. was masculine; he listened to her politely then shut her down by informing her that it was 'HIS' buddy - rambling! Sorry thought it was kinda cute)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014 05:12:21 PM »

You might try this one, it looks pretty sturdy

http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/toys-habitat-accessories/super-pet-bunny-flip-n-toss-rabbit-toy-zid36-14622/cat-36-catid-600014

I have cats, and they can destroy things, too. But they don't chew like a rabbit will. They just destroy with their claws. I had an indoor rabbit at one time, but the neighbor's boy loved it so much that I gave it away. Mine was mostly cage kept unless I was home to watch it. And keep it from chewing all my appliance/lamp cords.

I do know that rabbits need to chew to shorten and sharpen their teeth. Rats are the same way. If their teeth grow too long, it is not a good thing. Their teeth will actually grow into the lower jaw bone.

I don't know if there is a certain type of lumber you could add to the mix..like what they would normally nibble on in the wild? Your pet store could help you with this. Hope I have helped.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
ruckamuck
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014 01:04:51 PM »

Yes, you did help! Thank you.

I used to have rats as pets, and one of them had that very problem with her teeth. They just kept growing. We had a lot of toys for her to chew on, but nothing helped. She was very friendly pet too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rent The Runway Takes On Fifth Avenue
New Looks from Old Coats with Lilliana Vazquez: Part 2
New Looks from Old Coats with Lilliana Vazquez: Part 1
The Coolest Crop Tops of 2013
Stretching Your Dollar: Great Affordable Gifts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...