A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 308,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lino prints are my bag baby [lots of pictures!]  (Read 2233 times)
Tags for this thread: linoleum , printmaking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015 04:54:52 AM »

do you roughen the surface of your lino? I did try sandpaper, but tbh it didn't make much difference.

No, I've never done any surface prep to my lino. Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015 06:53:56 AM »

I just read a tip recently about priming stamps with a pink Pearl eraser to give a bit of tooth for ink... I wonder if that would work too for lino?  Will have to try it.

I am not a big fan of the easy to carve pink or white stuff - I find that it is too soft and you can't get nice detail in it.  I have liked using the thinner gray or beige stuff because I can get nicer detail in it.  I took a workshop last year with another artist who does large detailed cuts with masonite, and using wood carving tools, and have been putting that on my to do list - especially as I suspect I would likely also be able to do image transfers more readily onto masonite for a more precise and detailed image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest
If anyone is swapping with me & happens to see any of the Pickup Trucks Forever stamps on their mail - please pop them in the package for me - my hubby would love them!  Huge pre-emptive thanks
sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015 07:08:47 AM »

I just read a tip recently about priming stamps with a pink Pearl eraser to give a bit of tooth for ink... I wonder if that would work too for lino?  Will have to try it.

I am not a big fan of the easy to carve pink or white stuff - I find that it is too soft and you can't get nice detail in it.  I have liked using the thinner gray or beige stuff because I can get nicer detail in it.  I took a workshop last year with another artist who does large detailed cuts with masonite, and using wood carving tools, and have been putting that on my to do list - especially as I suspect I would likely also be able to do image transfers more readily onto masonite for a more precise and detailed image.

I'll have to experiment with surface treatment too.

The pink lino carves like a dream in my opinion. I have been able to get detail to my satisfaction, but maybe you're looking for tighter detail? I like it. Mostly just because it's easy to control how much you carve out. You do have to exercise restraint though, because it is super easy to carve too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015 07:34:20 AM »

That's what I find, it is so soft that it is too easy to carve too much, and sometimes what is left behind doesn't always have a clean edge.  But on saying that, I wonder if we are talking about different things - I am talking about the thick pink or white easy carve stuff, not the 1/8" thinner stuff. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015 07:36:58 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest
If anyone is swapping with me & happens to see any of the Pickup Trucks Forever stamps on their mail - please pop them in the package for me - my hubby would love them!  Huge pre-emptive thanks
sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015 12:24:17 PM »

That's what I find, it is so soft that it is too easy to carve too much, and sometimes what is left behind doesn't always have a clean edge.  But on saying that, I wonder if we are talking about different things - I am talking about the thick pink or white easy carve stuff, not the 1/8" thinner stuff. 

The stuff I use is probably about 1/4"? Probably the thicker stuff you're talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...