A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
777 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: newborn beanie star of life help!  (Read 421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

labratella
« on: August 09, 2013 08:54:56 AM »

Hi, I'm new here. (Posting, I've been reading posts for a while).

I've been asked by an EMT friend to make a pink newborn beanie with a blue star of life on it. I found a graph for the cross. But its huge and I don't know how to shrink it down or how to do it on a beanie! Can someone please help me!? I need a graph or just a pattern to make one and attach to the hat. The baby is due on september 2nd.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013 10:34:40 AM by labratella » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimadagem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013 10:56:51 AM »

By Star of Life do you mean the blue one with six points and a caduceus (I think that's what it is) in the center? I'd never heard of it but that's what Google was showing when I searched.

I did find a pattern on Etsy; is that the one you were talking about? It does look big but then I think it's intended for an afghan.

There *is* crochet graph paper available online that you can print out. About.com has some here:

http://crochet.about.com/od/free-graph-paper/ig/free-printable-graph-paper/Graph-Paper-for-Crochet.htm

but that's what came up first on a search; there are other pages too. You can't copy the Etsy design but you could maybe use another image (it does seem to be standardized) to come up with your own. I'm just not sure how you'd incorporate the caduceus into a small design; could you maybe do just the blue part? That should be fairly simple.

Because this is for a newborn my suggestion is to keep your stitches small. If I were doing it I would use crochet thread with a steel hook; I'm just not sure where I'd find blue crochet thread. But anything as thin as that would work too.

It's possible the Etsy artist could also do a custom design - a smaller version of the one that's for afghans. It wouldn't be free but it would save you time and it might be easier for her to adapt what she's already done than for you to come up with something on your own.

That's all I can think of right now but I hope it helps. Good luck with your project.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Secure Sections in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
How to Create a Bun in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
Creating the Rihanna Hairstyle
Putting in Hair Extensions
How To Prepare Short Hair For Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...