A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I hate my bedroom  (Read 1666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2013 01:22:58 PM »

I hate my bedroom!! I have no clue where anything should go in this weird little space! I also hate the colors! I have a lot of calming earth tones but its just not doing it for me anymore. I like the bed and dresser (very expensive). Im thinking of trying to hang some sort of curtains around the bed. Any ideas of what to do with the crappy yellow curtains? They serve the purpose of hidding the light, which is what I need due to sleeping hours.  I am toatally a diy-er so any project works. Also any ideas for a simple no sew bed skirt? My beds taller than most (for storage purposes)
shows the bed when it was lower and the nightstands. THe curtains are hung with wire (due to rental restrictions and I love the lamp
As you can see this corner displays alot of my tresures and books. I love that blue green color. I am not allowed to paint.

This is the layout of the room showing you all my whole problem! the windows and the baseboard heaters are my main problem. I cant  have the bed by a window in the winter because its too cold.  Im hoping to figure out a layout I can leave for awile!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013 01:55:23 PM »

Nice big room!  If you can't paint, can you get different colored curtains?  I think the green you like would go nicely!

I think one of the problems is that your bed looks like it is just stuck there...lopsided...can you hang the curtain rod so that it looks like the window goes all across behind your bed?  I did that in my bedroom because the window was not in the middle of the wall...you lose some of the wall space, but it looks like the pieces you have up there could go somewhere else. I have baseboard heaters, too, so be sure to keep them up above them. My headboard covers the gap.

I also think that if you hung your collection together, it would not seem so "scattered".  A grouping would make it more comfortable for the eye instead of jumping from one piece to another so far apart.

You should consider using that shrink stuff stuff on your windows in the winter...it really does work to keep the cold out...lining the curtains with light blocking lining would help as well for insulation.  It is a bit spendy, but worth it if you are going to be there a while.

Have fun redecorating your space!  You have to live there, so make it suitable for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013 02:23:08 PM »

green... humm! may have to buy some dye! its hard to find black out curtains at the thirft store (which is my budget). What do you think of moving the bed to the other side where the dresser is? Oh wait I cant do that, too close to the door and I walk into it every night LOL
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013 02:24:27 PM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013 02:55:11 PM »

I think dyeing your curtains would be a great idea!  You could even try some funky tie dye or maybe the kind where you put the ends of the fabric in the dye and let it soak up the curtains...cool!

I don't think you have a lot of choice as to where to put your bed...even a few changes will make you feel better about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013 03:24:01 PM »

Any idea how I can make this look more ummm connected? the room just feels like its peices and not connected. Hey could I use craft paint (acrylic) to dip dye the curtains? Im thinking craft paint mixed with water
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013 04:32:05 AM »

I love your bed and dresser, personally I'd try moving the dresser to the foot of the bed so it looks like part of the bed.

I agree with Always' about hanging curtains across the whole space behind your bed would bring the room together better and I think a blind rather than curtain at the smaller window would look neater and you could add that curtain to the wall behind your bed.

You have a lot of different colours and patterns which can make things seem cluttered when really there isn't much clutter,if you added a bedspread to match the curtains it would help bring the room together and it wouldn't matter what colour/patterns are on your pillows and bedding as they'd be hidden under the bedspread when you made the bed in a morning  Grin

I also think a plain shade on the lamp would be good maybe in that blue green that you like?

Painting your mismatched peices all the same colour would help it look more cohesive too  Smiley

I don't think paint would work for dip-dyeing the curtains but it might work to stamp or stencil a design on them  Grin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013 04:34:18 AM by Kookaloo_Starr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013 06:00:09 AM »

Lots of good tips there...oh...I like the idea of the dresser at the foot of the bed!  I may need to try that with my mom's bedroom that I am now setting up...she could put her small tv on it...

stamping a design on the curtains would be cute and crafty...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013 09:57:35 PM »

I decided the bed needed to move! I turned it so now it faces the closet, The footloceker went under it and the bookcase went in the closet. It looks pretty good. im thinking more orential art on the walls since I have the swords and cherry blossems. trying to decide if I wanna hang some stary curtains as a room divider or hang them around my bed. Trying to decide what to do with the curtains. I plan to decorate the closet door with some photo mats and random scenery photos I got so they dont suck so bad. The bed actully has a two toned brown duvet cover that belongs on it (I just got lazy after washing).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013 08:19:35 AM »

ooooh--sounds good so far!  be sure to post pics so we can see your hard work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013 01:29:35 PM »

an update:
I ended up going with the dresser at the end of the bed, cause I relized with my bed as high as it is (28 inches tall) it would make it eaiser for the cats to get into bed. So far ive moved the reading nookish area to the other side, redid my medusa lamp and redid the closet doors. I plan to share pictures after next weekend. Next weekend my mother will be in town and plans to help me vault the bed and finish my room (the stuff I cant do alone.. Only problem is the dresser half blocks the window (which both are the same size)So what do I do about that? I cant figure it out!It just looks friggen weird now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hearty Turkey Pot Pie from Leftovers Recipe
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Fantastic Tuna Melt Sandwich Recipe
Crock Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy Recipe
Garlic Cheddar Cheese Grits Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...