A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Scrap Granny Square Blanket (with continuous join-as-you-go tutorial)  (Read 7660 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , granny_square , afghan , craftsters_10th_anniversary_cross_category_challenge , category_challenge_winner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2013 07:43:49 AM »

What does Craftster mean to me?  Innovation - Inspiration - Information

I love that the Craftster community is filled with innovative people.  Folks who come up with neat new ideas, or interesting ways to revisit past ideas.  I find this, as well as everyone's colour and materials choices quite inspiring!  I also love the fact that so many Craftsters are happy to share how they made what they made.

Such an awesome place, over all, I think!

For the Craftster 10th Anniversary Challenge, I decided to try and address these three ideas into one project, and I came up with this blanket:

First a close-up:

IMG3868 by fantasticmio, on Flickr

And here's the full shot:

IMG3835 by fantasticmio, on Flickr

This project started as "I'm going to make a bunch of granny squares using my scraps and then decide what to do with them after", with the initial thought of just adding any missing rounds with a new colour... but then I wondered, do they have to be the same size to join them together easily?

Apparently not!

Granny square pattern:
R1: ch3 2dc in 3rd ch from hook, (ch2, 3dc in the same ch as before) three times, ch1, join to top of ch3 with a sc.
R2: ch3 2dc into sp below the ch3, (3dc, ch2, 3dc in the next ch sp) three times, in next ch sp, 3dc, ch1, join to top of ch3 with a sc.
R3-end: ch3 2dc into sp below the ch3, 3dc in every side space, (3dc, ch2, 3dc) in the three other corners, finish the round with 3dc, ch1, join to top of the ch3 with a sc in the first corner.

On the last round, replace "ch1, join to top of the ch3 with a sc in the first corner" with "ch2, join to top of the ch3 with a slst in the first corner".

I would do as many rounds as I could complete with the yarn I was using, or stopped at 7 rounds, whatever came first.

When I had a huge stack of them, I decided to come up with a layout that would work, and then fill in any blanks from there.  This is the layout I used:

Super-Scrap-01 by fantasticmio, on Flickr
(click to see the full size)

In this picture, the number above the column indicates how many of those squares you need.  The number inside the first block of the column indicates how many rounds those squares have.

For this layout you need:  96 one round squares, 64 two round squares, 48 three round squares, 16 five round squares, and 12 seven round squares.

All that's left is to join them!

The joining method I've been using for granny squares for a while is this one: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=348031.0#axzz2bI9opXSZ

But it makes for a LOT of ends to weave in for this type of blanket, so I decided to use a variant - the motions are pretty much the same, however, the order in which you work into the sides of the squares changes, so you can work continuously - basically, you don't have to cut the yarn, so you only have twice as many ends as balls of joining yarn you use (rather than twice as many ends as squares you have to join together)

This tutorial will work for the standard square layout (a simple grid of equally-sized squares), as well as for a layout like this one where each column has squares all of the same sizes (but each column has a different size than the others).

Continuous Join-As-You-Go Tutorial
The first thing you need to do is decide on a layout for your squares.  Here is a layout of 6 squares with a schematic for a general overview of what we'll be doing:

Take the square from the top right corner and crochet around three sides:

Take the square that goes *below* that corner square and put it next to the square you were just working with.  Work 3dc into the corner of the second square:

Now rotate that second square up and join it along that side to the first square:

Crochet around two more sides of this second square:

Continue adding squares down the column by repeating how you added the second square.

The last square of the column is slightly different!  Only crochet along one more edge after the joining edge:

Take the first square at the bottom of the second column and put it next to the last square of the first column.  3dc into the corner:

Rotate the new square so that you can join that edge to the previous square.  When you get to the corner of the square you're working on, work 3dc in the corner, ch1, slip stitch to the adjacent space, or in this case since they line up, around the join of the adjacent two squares:

ch1, then take the next square up in the second column and start joining it to the previous column:

Do this with all of the squares in the second column so that you end up with something like this:

It's time to finish the edging on the second column now, which will work almost exactly the same way as the first column.

Go all the way around the first square.  When you reach the spot where four squares meet, ch1, join to the square directly across from the one you're edging with a slst in the corner space, ch1, then start edging/joining the next square.

Continue in this manner until all of your squares are joined.

All that will be left is to work across the bottom and up the right side of the blanket.

There are a few ways to do this to get it to look "normal".  I tried a few of them before settling on "3dc in the corner of the first square, ch1, sc between the edging on the two squares, ch1, 3dc in the corner of the next square":

I like to work a second round of edging (as each of the internal squares looks like it has two rounds of edging), and when I get to the bottom and right edge, I work a group of 3dc into the sc.

Here is the blanket before the extra outside border:

Here it is with an extra round:

The difference is subtle, but I like it. ^_^

Because I am an avid blanket crocheter, and it currently takes me three large loads to wash all of the handmade blankets we own, both of the blankets shown in this post (the rainbow one that is my challenge entry, and the variegated one shown in the tutorial) have been donated to Blankets For Canada.  Cheesy

Oh, and I'm already working on a way to use this joining method with a bunch of squares that are different sizes that aren't laid out in neat, one-size-each columns.  So far I've discovered that it is absolutely possible, and I'm just playing with layouts now.  

And this all came about because of Craftster.  

Thank you!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013 07:51:47 AM by fantasticmio » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013 09:03:33 AM »

WOW, I love it!!  All the colors and different sizes - great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013 09:08:31 AM »

Thanks Homerof2!  I'm just a sucker for rainbows, I think. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013 09:27:25 AM »

I love your joining method!!  I always avoided the granny square because I did not enjoy joining all the pieces (I have buckets of "pieces"!)....

Your blanket is a colorful beauty...and the geek in me loves how you planned out the grid to work in all the sizes...very innovative and challenging...

I am bookmarking this so I can finally make a granny square blanket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013 09:32:30 AM »

I can't wait to see it, alwaysinmyroom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013 09:37:16 AM »

Mio--you sent me some of the most gorgeous black and red squares a few years ago that I packed away in a special box...I really want to join them to make a small blanket for my dear mother...this tutorial is so inspiring...I can't wait to get the same yarn you used (Simply Soft, I think...)...and put them together with a few of my own (not as wonderful, squares!)....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013 09:41:20 AM »

I think the squares I sent you were Bernat Satin, but, I have found it is fully interchangeable with Caron Simply Soft, and in a pinch (when gauge doesn't matter too, too much), you can use Red Heart Soft and Loops & Threads Soft and Shiny with them as well.  The rainbow blanket has all four!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013 09:46:18 AM »

Though, that does remind me - I've done quite a number of Granny Daughter's Swaps (one round granny squares), and this is a good way to join them together without wanting to gouge your own eyes out.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013 01:26:52 PM »

That is brilliant!  And what a great tutorial to join as you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013 01:45:53 PM »

Thanks Trekky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make Me Up: 60 Minutes to a Glam Look
Decoding Style: Madeline Sees the Stylist
S1:E10 | Madeline Checo Slims Down to Get Pregnant | Decoding Style
How to Take Your Look From Day to Night With INGLOT Cosmetics
How to Create Converse-Inspired Nail Art
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...