Well, I could not find the "new post" tab to start a new thread, so I'm not at all sure how to post in this section of Craftster (I hang out at Hogwarts in the HP Craft Along... but here goes. I will start with our normal method.
Challenge: 10th Anniversary Cross-Category-Challenge
Ravenclaw extra credit would normally be given for Herbology since the fibers used were all natural fibers - cotton.
I am normally a shy person, not prone to talking to everyone and showing off what I have done... but Craftster has changed that. I looked at so many people crafting so many different things that I finally started believing I could too! Craftster has enabled me to craft things like a HP port key from an old loafer and lots of HP pictures I was able to mod podge on, after painting the shoe blue. I have taken an old pair of linen slacks and made pillows featuring the 9 3/4 station in London, as well as Ollivanders, makers of fine wands.
The following is my tribute to Ravenclaw, one of the houses at Hogwarts, and my dgd, who reads so much that her books' covers become badly worn and in need of repair.
This first picture shows the supplies I used: a mini cone each of royal blue and bronze perle cotton, a 16 inch Cricket rigid heddle loom, some cardboard to add stiffness to the covers of the book, and the poor book she was reading.
I warped the loom using a pattern of 2 light followed by 2 dark, repeated across the loom so I could have enough width to cover the height of the book along with seam allowances.
The second photo shows the cloth as it came off the loom. I now needed to fit the cloth to the book. I did not use a pattern, choosing to measure the book, add seam allowances, pin the cloth in place and try inserting the book in the pinned cover (numerous times) to make sure it would fit without having to undo anything.
The fourth picture shows the completed book cover from the outside and the fifth picture shows the book cover inside. You can see that the cover extends far enough over the book cover so as to protect it.
I cut the cardboard into 2 pieces, each the size of the cover (measured on the inside). They were slid into place between the book cover (on the inside) and the cloth cover. This helps keep the actual book cover from tearing.
Now if I can just figure out how to post a link in HP Craftalong to this posting.
Thank you all for being an inspiration to me.