A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stash bust multiple weights? (knit or crochet)  (Read 738 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ragdoll193
« on: August 03, 2013 11:11:40 PM »

So, I have this project that I have posted about before. I am making a project, either knit or crochet, that will include yarn from all over the world as I hit various ports on my eventually Navy deployment.

I want to make one thing to include all of the yarns, but I don't know where to start with a pattern! I am thinking that a scarf or a blanket would be best

I figure this is super similar to a stash busting project, since it will include lots of colors and weights and generally not quite matching yarn.

Does anyone have a favorite multi-yarn project they would like to share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
kimadagem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013 11:23:19 AM »

Quite a few years ago I attended a workshop at the Estes Park Wool Market on a crocheted vest that was made with lots of different kinds of yarn. I don't still have the pattern and can't remember the last name of the person who designed it (her first name was Carol and I think she lived in New Mexico or Arizona, if anyone can help with that) and anyway, it was copyrighted. But the idea was to play with color and texture and I made some really nice vests. Since I'm prone to buying just one skein of something it was a really good choice for me.

But I think your project is going to be bigger than that since you'll be traveling a lot so I'd suggest an afghan. The vest pattern worked with similar colors but for an afghan you could get away with lots of different ones. I think it might help if you kept the hook size the same and used more than one strand if the yarn was too thin; otherwise the thin yarn might wear faster (I speak from experience on that one Sad  ). You could also keep the stitches simple, maybe just scs, hdcs, and dcs; if you use novelty yarn fancy stitch patterns would get lost anyway.

I think this is a great idea. Besides giving you something creative to do along with your job you'll have a great souvenir of all the places you visited during your tour. And it will be useful besides!

Have a safe trip.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
ragdoll193
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013 12:40:44 AM »

Thank you! I posted this inquiry on the knitting board as well, and I saw a beautiful start to a multi colored blanket, and it seems that that is the way I may go.

I would definitely love to hear more ideas though, as I am SURE I will have lots of scraps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
When Furniture Becomes Art
James Zemaitis Names His Design Greats
How David Small Became a Graphic Novelist
How Drawing Can Be a Cure
How to Integrate Research in Design
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...