A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Year of the Funky Monkey Fabric Design Collection  (Read 868 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

appledainty
« on: January 07, 2016 01:17:30 AM »

So, I am currently waiting for my residency visa to go through here in the lovely frozen tundra that is Saskatoon.  Since I have a lot of time on my hands I've been trying to work on my art.  While I'm trained as a sequential artist (fancy words for comic books and storyboarding) I've recently discovered Spoonflower and have been super inspired to design fabric patterns.  It started with designing a repeating background tile for my website, and then thinking it might make a nice lining paper for the interior of my desk drawers - they print wallpaper which is great for drawer linings!  What can I say, I've become obsessed.

I saw Spoonflower is having a Year of the Monkey theme for one of its contests coming up, so I set about designing a monkey toy.

Then I saw an example of a baby dress/bibs/bloomers on a single yard of fabric and I thought...hey I can do that too.  My brother and his lovely wife are hoping to have a baby soon, so I figured I could make some gifts for them.  So, I did dress design in two colorways and a reversible onesie design.

Then, I figured I might as well throw in some matching coordinating fabrics - a tiled banana leaf pattern and a banana leaf border.

I'm ordering fabric samples soon, but I couldn't wait. I'm just too excited to share this - I finally finished! It's been a long week or so.  And now I'm chomping at the bit to start a new collection, but I know I need a break so I'll probably do some sculpture or work on a graphic novel script.  The last two or three years have been rough for getting art done, so it's a relief to know I can still do this thing.

I'm hoping to use magnetic snaps as closures, and I've ordered several different kinds hoping to see which ones work best. Cheesy  I'll probably post my completed clothes and toys in the appropriate sections, but I wasn't sure where to put this particular post that's just got my graphic design work on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016 02:36:36 AM »

I like your designs. Very creative. And the banana/monkey theme is great for a little kiddo. I love the colors. Very jungle-like. And cute that you included the bibs, onsies, toy. This will be a very wonderful package to share for your brother and sister in law.

And for a bow? Tie on a banana  Grin You could even write the greeting on there with a sharpie. And use it as a tag.

~T
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016 05:39:44 PM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Make all the Things!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016 07:14:29 AM »

In college I sewed together a Kliban cat stuffie that came in a kit similar to yours. It was fun an easy to do...he is quite fat...I think you would be amazed how much stuffing can fit into a flat piece...that is how I make all of my dotees and junker jane dolls as well...flat...
I love looking at the new designs on Spoonflower and know there are tons of kits available similar to yours, but I think since it is the year of the monkey, yours will stand out!  Good luck!

I love your design, especially the bananas on the banana leaf print...onesies would be so cute in this pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016 10:49:23 AM »

What fun! And I love the theme. I think I may have found a new passion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
appledainty
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016 01:17:59 PM »

I like your designs. Very creative. And the banana/monkey theme is great for a little kiddo.
I would be a bit concerned with the plushie, though. There does not seem to be enough "give" room, as in when you stuff it, it might have scrawny arms and legs. Yours is a very "flat" pattern. You have to allow for the roll around space on stuffy animals. Yours might be great for a greeting card, cut out of felt and glued on. But for a plushie, you might wish to "fatten it up". It will look unusual on the actual fabric, but will stitch, stuff, sew just fine. Of course, if you aren't wishing to fill it too full, you might get away with what you have. As more of a flat plushie. But very interesting. I love the colors. Very jungle-like. And cute that you included the bibs, onsies, toy. This will be a very wonderful package to share for your brother and sister in law.

And for a bow? Tie on a banana  Grin You could even write the greeting on there with a sharpie. And use it as a tag.

~T

I totally understand what you're saying! It's less of a 3D-UFO plushie or stuffed animal and more like a pillow made of minky shaped like a monkey.  I've made both types of dolls before, and I might design more complex dolls later,  but I wanted to start with something simple that would read well visually.

We aren't sure if it's a boy or a girl.  To be honest, I'm not even sure she's pregnant yet,  but they have been trying for a few years and I know if they didn't get pregnant last year they were going to do IVF or something like it this year. I'm not sure if they have made a decision yet or what, but I have the weirdest feeling like it's going to be later this year and it will  be a girl. I was trying not to stray too far into the accessories and keep the theme fairly non-gendered, but I was thinking about doing a bandana! It's like you read my mind, haha. I was thinking about designing it to work as a Hawaiian quilt block too.

I just ordered some sew on tags from dutch label shop, which I'm excited about.  And I can use the banana leaf pattern as wrapping paper.  My husband also just bought me a personal die cutting machine for Christmas, which I haven't set up yet. I think I will make some tags with it that match the theme.

In college I sewed together a Kliban cat stuffie that came in a kit similar to yours. It was fun an easy to do...he is quite fat...I think you would be amazed how much stuffing can fit into a flat piece...that is how I make all of my dotees and junker jane dolls as well...flat...
I love looking at the new designs on Spoonflower and know there are tons of kits available similar to yours, but I think since it is the year of the monkey, yours will stand out!  Good luck!

I love your design, especially the bananas on the banana leaf print...onesies would be so cute in this pattern!

Thank you! Cheesy I'm really excited about the onesie.  I'm hoping to use hidden magnets as the closures on them, that way they are entirely reversible and there's no metal pieces that could rub against the baby when you turn it around.

What fun! And I love the theme. I think I may have found a new passion.

Thank you! I know, right, designing fabric and so forth is so much fun!  I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016 01:21:43 PM by appledainty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Make all the Things!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016 06:51:13 AM »

I am sure that you will be successful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016 06:44:16 PM »

What fun patterns! I wish you much success with it! You're very talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016 06:01:25 AM »

Ha ha!  I saw this on spoonflower, and thought "ADORABLE!"---now to see that a craftster-er designed it---how fun to make the connection!  Well done!  This is so darling!  I especially love the printed and made "project" image that you have up at spoonflower!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Smaller Is Better: Why Micro-Apartments Are The New Norm
Ergonomic Eatery: What Your Kitchen Says About You
A Room With a View: Bringing Personality to Home Design
Color Therapy at LAX: How Art Helps Passengers De-Stress
Low-Carbon Building: How to Regreen a Polluted City
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...