A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,534
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mod-Podge-ing UNPLAYABLE Guitar, Mounting On Wall to Display: Thoughts?  (Read 598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WingsOfClay
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I Love Craftster Swaps!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 01, 2013 01:56:33 PM »

So, I found an acoustic guitar at Goodwill for $30, it needs serious bridge repair among other issues...
After a bit of research and consulting with a couple knowledgeable people, it's clear that it would take time and money to get this guitar into playable shape...then there's the time it would take to LEARN TO PLAY...and expense of the whole thing...

Oh, what the heck, I'll just make it into an art object!  Grin

I have been looking at pictures of other altered guitars online, and here's my tentative plan:
--lightly sand guitar to remove shiny finish (ventilated area)
--decoupage entire guitar with papers and ephemera using mod podge, and finally, acrylic sealant
--embellish fret-board with oil paints
--adhere small, light found objects with crazy glue
--build a small shrine, and set it INTO the hole in the front of the guitar (most excited about this step)
--mount for wall display

But here are the questions coming up for me:
--what is the best way to sand this thing? do i NEED to sand it?
--WHERE and HOW should the wall mounts go in the back?

Anyone on here ever attempt a similar project? How would/did you affix the guitar to the wall? Products you used on it?

I don't care anything about "damaging" the guitar, but I do want the finished art object to be sturdy and long lasting....

I am even thinking of re "stringin" the guitar with yarn or pretty thread once the surface is decorated and the shrine is set inside....
oooooo....i have a battery-operated string of tiny LED lights that I can hide inside if a put a hole in the back, which could illuminate the shrine....

i just got a WHOLE lot more excited about this thing  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make it, thrift it, mend it, or make-do without it!
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013 07:17:47 PM »

This sounds like an EPIC project. I can't wait to see it come together. It's going to be awesome.

I've never attempted anything like that but it looks like some other Craftster members have! Try checking out projects tagged with "guitar"...

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags;sa=showtopics;tag=guitar#axzz2b3aU3hVI

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013 06:17:14 PM »

This sounds like sooo much fun! I was getting excited just reading about your plans.

My thoughts: If you are just going to modge podge the entire guitar then removing all of the shiny varnish isn't needed. I would used some fine sand paper (220 or higher) to just rough it up some, essentially just enough to make sure the glue will adhere to it. Or since you aren't concerned about damage whatever sandpaper you have on hand really.

Have you thought of just buying a guitar wall mount? They aren't too expensive, here's an example of a nicer one, there are others for much cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-CC01K-Hardwood-Studio/dp/B0002GLCRC/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1377824840&sr=1-2&keywords=guitar+wall+mount

Unless you want to hang it horizontally in which case what about a guitar strap? You could hang some hooks on the wall to hold the strap. I know they have 3M Command strips that can hold quite a bit of weight if you don't want to drill into your walls.

Man now I want to go thrift shopping.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kati Martin Reflects on Her Life - Happiness, Pain, and Loss
Dr. John Norcross on "Changeology"
"The Blessed" Book Trailer
"Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Interview with Mark Nepo
Cyndi Lauper on Her Memoir
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...