A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Despicable Me Minion hat (with a despicable child model and tutorial)  (Read 35852 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , despicable_me , minion , hat , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2013 11:51:12 AM »

Look what I made! The hat, not the kid. Well technically, yes, the kid too, but look at the hat!

here's the tutorial (for those interested)
This will make an adult size hat:
Gather  your gear:
size H hook
Yellow yarn
Black yarn
Scraps of blue yarn
Scraps of gray yarn
Scraps of white yarn
Row 1: with yellow, make magic circle, sc 6 times in circle, pull to tighten
Row 2: ch 3 (this counts as 1 dc) dc into same stitch, dc twice in each stitch joining with slip stitch at beginning of ch 3.
Row 3: ch 3, dc in same stitch, 2 dc in each stitch all around.  Join with slip stitch in top of ch 3
Row 4: ch 3, dc in same stitch, dc in next stitch, dc twice in next stitch, dc in next stitch repeating this all around, join with slip stitch in top of ch 3
Row 5: ch 3, dc in same stitch, dc in next two stitches, dc twice in next stitch, dc in next two stitches following this pattern all around, join with slip stitch in top of ch 3
Row 6: ch 3, dc in each stitch all the way around, join with slip stitch in top of ch 3
Row 7 & 8: change to black: ch 3, dc in each stitch around, join with slip stitch in top of chain 3
Row 9-14: change back to yellow, ch 3, dc in each stitch around, join with slip stitch in top of ch 3
The base of the hat is now finished, cute right?
Now were gonna make the ear flaps.  With the seam centered in the back, find 8 stitches on each side to position the ear flaps.  Join the yellow (with the right side of the hat facing you) and ch 3, dc in next 7 stitches. TURN YOUR WORK, ch 3, dc in next 6 stitches, TURN AGAIN, ch 3 and dc in next 5 stitches, TURN AGAIN ch 3 and dc in next 4 stitches and bind off.  Repeat on the other side of the hat.
Starting at the back of the hat where the ear flap starts, join blue yarn.  Ch 1 and sc all around hat going around ear flaps and finishing with a slip stitch into top of ch 1.
I measure out about 3 feet of yarn in 3 colors and wove them through the ear flaps and braided them.
Now were gonna work on the eyeballs!
with magic circle, and black yarn, ch 3, dc in circle 11 more times (total of 12 dcs) and pull yarn to tighten into circle.  Switch to white, ch 3 and dc into same stitch, continue to dc twice into each stitch and join with slip stitch into top of ch 3. Switch to gray yarn and ch 1, sc into each stitch all the way around.  Bind off leaving a long tail of gray to sew the eyes onto the hat.  Make 2, although I guess you could just make one since there is a one eyed minion.
Position the eyes on the hat and with the long tail of gray yarn, sew the eyes to the middle of the black strip.
with black yarn, sew a mouth on the minion.  I like the little half smiley :/
I hope this hasnt been too confusing, Im all about free patterns, I hate paying for them so if I can help anyone out Im more than happy too.
Peace and blessings!!
Beth
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013 12:59:53 PM by bethntim » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013 12:04:25 PM »

Are you kidding me? That is adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Molly Merula
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013 12:32:45 PM »

The picture in the main post is borked, but the topic thumbnail is amazing! I may have to learn to crochet properly so I can make one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013 08:32:09 AM »

Aww, this is WONDERFUL!  Thank you so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
NicholeTaylor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013 07:30:28 PM »

So adorable! Thank you so much! This is going to be great fun to do for the kiddos! Any suggestions on sizing it smaller...sorry not the most skilled at adapting patterns...didn't know if there was a general rule of thumb that would help me figure it out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013 03:52:40 AM »

So adorable! Thank you so much! This is going to be great fun to do for the kiddos! Any suggestions on sizing it smaller...sorry not the most skilled at adapting patterns...didn't know if there was a general rule of thumb that would help me figure it out...
The finished hat had a lot of stretch so it got my 10 year old daughter as well as myself so that's why I sized it "adult". If you wanted to make a child size (4-8 years old) I would decrease the hook size. I used an H so you could go down to an F. If you wanted to make infant/toddler size I would start the hat with 4 stitches inside the magic loop instead of 6. I hope this cleared it up for you, happy hooking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiej
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013 04:04:44 AM »

Wow wow wow...I've finally learned how to crochet, and now I just found the motivation I need to get my tension right (it's a rookie mistake I know, but my tension is still all over the shop). Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013 06:12:02 AM »

Thanks again, bethntim!  I featured this in our Project of the Week email yesterday! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013 06:40:04 AM »

I love it!  Thanks so much for sharing your pattern...your model and the hat are just so adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
kimadagem
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013 11:26:18 AM »

That is seriously cute. But the child doesn't look so despicable there - maybe it's because she knew she was getting her picture taken. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 6/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 7/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 8/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 35/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 4/35
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...