A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thread painted Kracken for gotgrey  (Read 640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 31, 2013 06:29:02 PM »

As per normal, I am never really sure where to post my thingies.  While it is an appliqued quilt, it is also a thread painting...judge for your self and move me if that needs be Grin.

A wee bit of a story here.  I had had a rather ruff fall and was attempting to get over it with a bit of swapping.  Little did I know my fall would creep into my winter, and early spring.  I was diagnosed (after waiting for 3 months  Roll Eyes ) of having a fibromytosis (which translates into "You have a lump...we have no idea what that means") on the bottom of my foot.  What it mostly meant was I could not stand anything for 3 months if my foot was lower then my head.  So I kept a stiff upper lip...mostly... through the first few swaps I had signed up to (and quite happy I did) but I just could not deal with the last one I signed up for.  Thankfully, my partner gotgrey, agreed to dropping out and changing our swap to a personal one.  Our them was still Sea creatures, so I was excited to be able to make something...eventua lly.  Well we just finished up our personal swap and this is one of the things I sent...

I was working on a squid format, but she called it a Kraken which I believe suits it more.  It is an iron on appliqu with heavy thread painting.  I like to use Steam-A-Seam2 for the applique adhesion.  Then I just get a piece of paper the size I want the end piece to be and start to sketch...very roughly.  I think y'all would not recognize the start to the end.  But I over sketch and over sketch till I can see the lines I want, then I go over it with felts...sometimes 3 or 4 different colors, and THEN I cut out what I want with scissors.  Then I traced the cut out pieces of pattern onto the iron on medium.  I normally don't care about if it orients the same as what I drew, but if you try this with lettering, you will need to flip the pattern.  Then it is just a mater of ironing the fabric down to the right spot and thread painting the texture in.  I used rayon and other threads, so after I was happy with the thread painting, I ironed another layer of SAS2 onto the back, to make sure the threads stayed where I wanted them to.  I found a silver reflective fabric for the eyes (it doesn't show the reflection well here....) and was just careful to lower the iron temp, use a press cloth and carefully iron it to the piece.  I was most tickled to discover that paisley fabric makes a darn fine squid skin when over thread painted.  It mimics the changeability of the skin and mutes the pattern in the fabric.  I normally destroy my patterns in the process of making the items, but I managed to save this one.   I've also promised to make one for my mom's quilt guild show next year so watch this pace for more KRAKEN!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013 07:33:00 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013 07:11:37 PM »

It turned out beautifully, Sue! Love it! Haha, I was just calling my nephews kraken yesterday when I released them upon the neighborhood! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013 09:36:45 PM »

Really pretty, dearest- and so you Grin

And thank you for the instructions to use the steamAseam- I was wondering how to use it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013 09:22:22 AM »

Oh that is so cool, Suereal!  Man, that looks like it was a lot of work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013 04:16:13 PM »

That is AMAZING!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About the Fascination with Puppets
How to Operate a Gloved Arm Puppet
Learn About Hand and Rod Puppets
How to Make a Monster Puppet Body
How to Make Monster Puppet Eyebrows
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...