A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super easy hometown map- tutorial  (Read 2257 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 19, 2013 05:44:04 PM »

Is 'done entirely on the computer' still considered craft?  I hope so!  You can make something like this with paper and glue, too, which would probably be prettier and more homemade.  But this takes very little time and can be easily replicated, so I thought I'd share anyway!

These are the maps with hearts you see all the time on etsy and pinterest.  Filled with an actual map, or a pattern, and some people have three for their wedding anniversary, the place they met their SO, their honeymoon location.  I say choose whatever town is special to you, but you do you.  Here's mine:

Here's how to make your own hometown map:

1. Get your background image- chevron, a vintage map scan, a photo of your town, etc.  Google image search for large images only. 

2. Get your map blank at docstoc.com, or again google image search 'X map Blank' on large. 
Save and open it on photoshop.  Copy the background to remove the lock and keep it from being a smart object.  Using your Magic Wand, select only the outline and copy.

3. Arrange your workspace like this: Make a new file to a normal paper size, or whatever size you want.  Put your pattern on one layer.  Paste your outline in the second layer.  Go to the left side layers menu and select 'create clipping mask.' 

4. Create a new layer.  Select the eye on your new filled map to make it dissapear.  Select new layer and fill with a color.  Drag this layer under the first, and click the eye to make your map come back.  Move around the map to where you want it.  Control-" (Command-" on Macs) to show your guidelines, same command to make them go away.

5. Use the type tool, write your town name and state.  To find good fonts, go to dafonts.com.  The one I used is 'Tightrope.'

6. Create heart in Custom Shape tool, or find another blank if you like.  Fill it up.  Put it in your hometown location.

7. Flatten image, save as PDF or JPG.  Print it out.  You're done!

For this one, I used a texture overlay.  To do this, pick out a digital texture- an old paper scan, fabric, cardboard, etc.  These are the textures I use the most.  Texture helps your image look less vector-y and more like it has been made by hand.  Avoid anything too photographic or abstract- the best kind just make your image look more interesting without being obvious.  For my texture, I used an old piece of paper with a burnt edge.

After you've finished your image, create a layer on top of the flattened image, and size it to fit over your image.  On the layers panel, go to the drop down menu and select 'Overlay.'  You can also choose 'Soft Light' but it will significantly lighten your image.  Then adjust to opacity to whatever looks nice- mine is about 45% or so.   Flatten again and save.  You can also move this layer to just over your background layer, or map layer, if you don't want your colors to change too much.

That's it!  Easy peasy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013 05:54:57 PM »

Very cool!  Thanks so much for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014 07:24:10 AM »

These would make great gifts, too. I love the chevron pattern. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Susan Patron
Tough Customer Book Trailer
Antwone Fisher Reveals What the US Navy Taught Him
Rachel Kushner Talks About Telex from Cuba
Emily Yellin Reveals Her Best Quality
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...