A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cast Cover  (Read 418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2013 06:32:06 AM »

So, I'm REALLY insanely clumsy. I have been all my life, but since I had my daughter and a subsequent rare birth event called AFE, I've been doing "random gravity checks" every so often. I make sure gravity still works by falling like a sack of potatoes. It's ok. no need to thank me.

anyway, about 8 years ago my clumsy self tripped on something in my apartment and hurt my foot. I didn't think much of it, it hurt for a while and I havn't been able to wear tight shoes since but at the time, I couldn't take time off work to get it looked at. It didn't swell, it didn't bruise so I thought nothing much of it. Yeah. Stupid.

3 weeks ago I did a post AFE random gravity check on my own stairs. I fell right onto my foot. again, it hurt much the same as last time, and the pain didn't ease. I tried putting a pressure bandage on it, ice etc but the bandage just was excruciating. Again, no swelling, no bruising. I gave in and went to my primary care physician (who in the UK is called a GP) a week after falling. He said he didn't think anything was broken, but he gave me a request for an xray to take to the hospital, and advised that if I was in as much pain as I said I was (yah I was) I should attend the emergency dept because the results of the xray from the form he'd given me would take 2 weeks to get back to him, whereas the ER xrays are processed right away.... and I could get the good drugs.

So I went home, gathered supplies; two books, a drink, a cereal bar and got the husband to drop me off. 4 hours later and I had this:

guess what? yeah. I broke my foot. 5th metatarsal just above the tarsometatarsal joint. it's somewhere between an alvulsion and a jones for those who are medically...ya' know.
hey. I did get the good drugs which finally eased the pain, and a temporary "backslab" cast until I could see the ortho consultant the next week... I saw him, he mentioned how it looks like an old break (yep, 8 years ago) so my pain may be due to it shifting when I fell but to be on the safe side, I should have a full "walking" cast on just in case it had healed and been rebroken. Hey, at least I can manage stairs properly now and don't have to plan my bathroom visits like I did in the first week.

yeah. I chose pink. but the thing is, without a bandage topping like I had on the temporary cast, it's really scratchy! I mean like mental scratchy, it's pulled loops up on my footstool and everything. I looked online at cast covers but they're really expensive for something I'm only gonna use for 6 weeks at most.

enter a 3 year old pair of Poundland (think Dollar Tree) knee high socks and some yarn.

Schmecksy am I right?!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013 06:37:45 AM »

Oh you poor baby!  You had me feeling so bad for you and giggling at the same time!  I hope you heal quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013 07:19:37 AM »

Oh, too bad  Sad. But think of all the knitting, you will have time to do, sitting in that chair...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChicky
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013 07:27:02 AM »

I'm sending you super healing fast vibes! I broke my ankle a cpl of years ago, I have 9 pins and a plate in mine now, and had two surgeries. So count yourself lucky that you aren't as graceful as me  Grin
The knitted cast cover is Brilliant tho and you really should sell them! You could offer them at doc offices when patients get casts on.  Wink

Nat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013 09:37:22 AM »

So sorry about all your painful woes but your story did raise a few chuckles.  I love your rainbow cast cover. Hope it all heals right this time - and quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Elements to the Stage
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introducing the Flash Interface
Macromedia Flash 8 - Quick Flash Demo
Extreme Website Makeover - Saving and Updating Template-Based Files
Extreme Website Makeover - Linking Buttons to Pages
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...