A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,207
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Winter Holiday Craft List - What are you making?  (Read 6290 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013 04:19:39 AM »

Arrgh! I've misplaced my air-dry clay. Time for a complete rethink in some directions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
katara
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013 09:24:31 AM »

Since none of our family members have made any plans for Christmas, we have decided to invite them over either around the 22nd or the 25th day for lunch. (I'm an in-the-closet Pagan), but I want the day to be festive for the sake of the family. The only Christmas decor I have, is a rather small Christmas tree, so I need some low-budget decor.

I won't be crafting gifts but I'd like to make the following:

- wreath/garland (maybe from yarn or with CD's)
- table centrepiece
- Christmas crackers (and maybe make some sweet treats to fill them with)
- Some Christmas decor
- napkins
- serviette rings
- bunting?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013 07:28:49 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013 04:17:53 PM »

Since none of our family members have made any plans for Christmas, we have decided to invite them over either around the 22nd or the 25th day for lunch. (I'm an in-the-closet Pagan), but I want the day to be festive for the sake of the family. The only Christmas decor I have, is a rather small Christmas tree, so I need some low-budget decor.

I won't be crafting gifts but I'd like to make the following:

- wreath/garland (maybe from yarn or with CD's)
- table centrepiece
- Christmas crackers (and maybe make some sweet treats to fill them with)
- Some Christmas decor

I was gonna say - yarn wreaths are cute but cheap!  I also love regular wreaths and they're pretty cheap to make as long as you utilize whatever you've got around - wrapping spare beads or crystals onto wire and sticking them in, dipping the edges of pinecones into glue and glittering them up, etc.  I love wreaths.

For a cheap centerpiece, I'd suggest candles or ornaments.  Our local dollar stores tend to always have candles but not a wide assortment of them.  By putting them on different things (an upside-down short vase, a tiny goldfish bowl, etc), it adds height.  If you don't have a lot of extra space on the table, do a hanging centerpiece!  I took a wire ring (about wreath size actually) and strung some dollar store ornaments on in a cascading design with clear fishing wire.  It was a PitA but I LOVED how it looked and it was super cheap.

Other decor that I think tends to be quick and cheap but nice-looking includes, as always, a string of lights.  We live in an apartment and have no desire to put up much around the place but we use one string along our entertainment center (and some on our tree) and it makes everything seem more decorated than it really is.  Last year I tried a pinterest idea - gluing a set of 5 dollar-store ornaments onto little round mirrors, putting a touch of ribbon on them, and sticking a bit of glittered spring into each and it really is kind of high impact for how minimal it is.  I've also taken existing stuff I have on the walls (art, mirrors, etc) and wrapped them up like presents.  It didn't turn out to be my favorite look in our big front room but used in a smaller area was cute and, again, is cheap and easy.

Hope that helps!  I love Christmas decor but hate actually decorating.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
katara
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013 07:26:49 AM »

Thank you for the awesome budget-friendly suggestions rockmygypsysoul  Grin

I managed to make a wreath completely from stash and I'm pretty chuffed with how it came out  Cheesy

I'll try to take a better pic tomorrow in better light

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013 07:30:01 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013 08:25:38 AM »

Pretty wreath! I love how the yarn sparkles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
rockmygypsysoul

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013 10:44:58 AM »

Thank you for the awesome budget-friendly suggestions rockmygypsysoul  Grin

I managed to make a wreath completely from stash and I'm pretty chuffed with how it came out  Cheesy

Happy to help - I *love* Christmas decorations but am also all about budget-friendly stuff!

I LOVE your wreath!  It is seriously super, super cute!!  Especially love the heart in the middle and using curling ribbon - I've never thought of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013 08:04:30 AM »

Arrgh! I've misplaced my air-dry clay. Time for a complete rethink in some directions.

I'm doing my baby's handprints in cold porcelain. Maybe that could work? Minimal cost and looks nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
rockmygypsysoul

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013 11:29:31 AM »

I'm doing my baby's handprints in cold porcelain. Maybe that could work? Minimal cost and looks nice.

You people and your kid-produced and kid-related gifts.  Sadly my family would not be overwhelmed by paw prints from our puppies.  Although I did do a little joke card on Father's Day for my dad that had a pic of the pups (we have two) and said "The only thing better than having you as my father is our puppies having you as their papa."  He has a bit more sense of humor than the rest of the fam.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013 12:56:50 PM »

Haha! No, I meant as an air dry clay substitute, not for prints specifically. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
Alexampersandra

Crafter. Librarian. Blogger.

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013 05:44:01 AM »

Instead of modifying my earlier response (yet again... how many re-do's have I given myself this year?) I'm just posting again, because the plan is now drastically different... because I haven't started! And I have a week left! ACK!!!

So I saw one of those cross-stitch calendar kits (it gives you the embroidery floss, the pages, with the Xs printed on, and you just... stitch over the Xs, I guess) and I thought, I could do that. But customized. So I'm making cross-stitched paper calendars for everyone. And since I already have the materials, I'm making melt-and-pour wassail-scented soaps to package with them. (Because YUMMY-SMELLING!)

I'll be sure to post about the calendars once I get one done... Unless the plan changes YET AGAIN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." [Douglas Adams]
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Swoon Book Trailer
John Avant Talks About If God Were Real
Meet Author of Cowboy and Wills
Behind the Books with Marlene Wallach
Meet Author Ru Freeman
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...