A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Winter Holiday Craft List - What are you making?  (Read 5972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AngelCross
« on: July 29, 2013 10:15:11 AM »

There seems to be a thread here every year about what people are making for loved ones.  Since it's heading toward autumn and I haven't seen one, I figured I'd start.  What are you making this year for winter holiday crafts/presents?

For neighbors and the girls' teachers:
Amish Cinnamon Bread
Apple Butter
Guinness BBQ Sauce

For husband:
Homemade muscle rub
Hot/cold socks (socks with pockets in the ankles for heat/cold packs
Pomade or Bay Rum Aftershave

For adults in the house:
Screenprint t-shirts
Screenprint Pokemon Tote
Chocolate covered pretzels

For the girls (2 and 4 at Christmas-time) and the baby boy (due around Halloween):
Large set of wooden blocks
baby hats
hoodie towel

For the girls' bio-mom and her family
Calendar with pictures
Personalized Goodies (mugs, pens, etc)
Handprint art (to be made with the girls)

For the girls' Grandmother and Great-Grandmother:
Handprint ornaments with salt-dough
Handmade cards (to make with the girls)

I'll edit to add other things as they get added to my craft list. Smiley  Let's see what you guys are making for your loved ones!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013 08:51:28 AM by AngelCross » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013 11:19:57 AM »

Great idea!  I've stickied this to the top of the board, so we can get it growing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
BadWolf

cassettetape--->BadWolf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013 12:51:14 PM »

EDIT: It's amazing how fast Christmas stuff goes up isn't it? I've been slowly making things, but I'm trying to finish a throw blanket for myself. Usually I spend so much time on things for other people that I don't make stuff for me.

strikethrough: finished
italics: in progress

Spouse (29yo): "Give Quiche a Chance" tshirt (a la Red Dwarf), crocheted blanket
Mom: scarf/shawl, patchwork fabric cat
Dad: Double crocheted hat, chocolate truffles
Dad's spouse: rice bags
Brother 1 (24yo): double crocheted scarf
Brother 2 (24yo): double crocheted hat
Brother 1's GF (21yo): Scoodie
Mother-in-law: herbal bath salt, herbal tea, socks (buying from sockdreams.com)
Bro-in-law (23 yo): Double crochet scarf
BIL's wife (23yo): half double cluster Scarf
BIL's wife's folks: chocolate truffles
Bro-in-law 2 (32yo): crocheted hat
Family secret santa (13 y.o.):

Friend L: crocheted Jayne hat
Friend K: Herbal bath salts
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013 10:06:04 AM by BadWolf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My username has changed from cassettetape to BadWolf.

"Does this shirt make me look like a party balloon?"-Mike

http://pinterest.com/marquesajen
Alexampersandra

Crafter. Librarian. Blogger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013 05:38:01 PM »

After a few edits and realizing I haven't started yet and only have a couple weeks to get done, this is what I've changed my list to:

All family members are getting baskets. Smaller ones for individuals (Stepbrother, Stepsister, Fiance's sister, Fiance's brother) and slightly larger ones for couples (Dad/Stepmom, Mom/Stepdad, Grandparents, Aunt/Uncle, Fiance's parents, Fiance's brother & SIL)

Snowflake-shaped "wassail" scented soaps
Tree-shaped "winter forest" scented soaps
Lip balm (winter clementine flavor)
Spiced nuts
Glass ornaments filled with spice mixes (popcorn seasoning, meat rubs, etc)
Homemade vanilla extract
Wood-burned ornaments (if I have time)

My friends are doing a Secret Santa thing, and I already ordered my gift for that from Amazon.
A few other friends (from a different "friend group") will be getting rice-filled microwaveable heat packs... if I have time.

Fiance and I aren't exchanging gifts this year, just stockings, because we ordered our wedding rings for Christmas. I might craft something to put in his stocking but it will likely be mostly just candy, snacks, mini liqueur bottles, pens and other fun office supplies for school.

None of that panned out. Literally nothing. Except the fact that I ordered a secret Santa gift from Amazon, and that Fiance and I only did stockings for each other (mostly edible stuff like candy and liquor.) Instead, I ordered vegetable and herb seeds from Amazon, got little pails from Target and had Fiance drill holes in the bottoms, and put together "grow your own stir fry" and "grow your own tomato sauce" buckets.

But to avoid this problem for next year, I'm finally going to cross-stitch for everybody next year... if I do one per month (skipping March for my wedding) I'll be right on schedule... so I've already started my dad's. I can't wait til this thread goes up for next year... I'll be so far ahead!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013 05:27:10 AM by Alexampersandra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." [Douglas Adams]
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013 09:09:55 AM »

I am definitely down for this kind of accountability and encouragement!  I try to go at least 75% homemade each year and even more THIS year, so I need this to work!  Cheesy  This list includes some purchased items and some swap items.

I have included all things that fall within Nov, Dec, and Jan since it's all trying to get it done at the same time.

Husband
Birthday (12/4):  Patriots sock monkey (via Sweat Shop Swap/SSS with minor additions), Patriots hoodie, Patriots tee, and weighted lap blanket (via personal swap!)
Christmas stocking: Patriots ornament, dino magnets, us ornament, stuffed dino (via Ongoing Wish Swap/OWS), Arrested Development stenciled tee, coasters with West Wing quotes, and buttons (via SSS)
Christmas: (none; cabin getaway together)

Mom and Dad (and in-laws)
Anniversary:  "Family" plaque with clips for pictures to hang down
Christmas: painted spinning caddy with handstamped scorecards, decks of cards, and chalkboard brag board
MIL Birthday: infinity scarf (via SSS)
FIL Birthday: stationery cards with custom stamp OR dopp kit OR pajama pants
MIL and FIL Christmas: custom painted birdhouse

Siblings
BIL #1: Beavis and Butthead tee (purchased)
BIL #2: stationery cards with custom stamp of name in Mandarin
Brother: unknown (unknown if participating in sibling exchange)
SIL #1: (unknown if participating in sibling exchange); if so - Mother's bracelet, scarf, stamped ring dish, poinsettia napkin rings, beaded bobby pins
Brother and SIL#1: (unknown if participating in sibling exchange); if so - string monogram
SIL #2: stamped ring dish

Nieces and Nephews
Ni #1 and Ne #1 Christmas: Custom board game**
Ni #1 Birthday: painted hoodie OR duffle**
Ne #1 Birthday: painted hoodie OR Dopp kit OR pajama pants OR duffle OR slingshot OR bottle cap bracelet OR bulldog stencil
Ni #2, Ne #2, and Ne#3 Christmas: custom board game**
Ne #2 Birthday: chess piece stamp
Ne #4 Christmas: double-sided simple wood puzzle OR hooded towel*
Ni #3 Christmas: glass gem letter decor*
Ni #3 Birthday: felt name book
Ni #4 Christmas: painted rocking horses*
Ni #4 Birthday: felt name book
* OR felt tree with ornaments if received in OWS
** may change based on claims made in OWS

Honorary Family (very close friends)
BF #1 & BFH: string monogram
DD: felt name book OR felt tree with ornaments
BF #2 & BFH: scrabble ornaments
DD: double-sided simple wood puzzle OR felt tree with ornaments
D?: dino stuffie (via SSS) and string monogram initial
OF (baby shower): ?

Angel (we get a Salvation Army angel each year that would have been the age of the baby we miscarried)
double sided, simple wood puzzle, painted rocking horse, name book, clothes/shoes/special needs

Other (teacher friends, etc)
handmade hot chocolate, homemade marshmallows, and homemade dipped pretzels in a decorated mug

Decor, wrapping
lace stamped wrapping paper
pine cone wreath
Thanks plaque hanging done!
snowflake wreath
wrapped canvases
Christmas cards done!

Okay - I think that's everyone!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013 03:19:36 PM by rockmygypsysoul » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
radarfan
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013 03:59:43 AM »

I have been hanging around looking at different boards on this webpage for a few months now and love it here. Very inspired by this post so going to start making some lists  Smiley I have been reading last years lists as well and would like to try making things like the jars that contain all the ingredients for chocolate cookies etc.
How long in advance do you think things like this can be prepared?
I have been reading about people making marinades and guiness bbq sauce is there a post with some recipes? I have had a quick search but cant seem to find much.
also home made dog treats, how far in advance would you guys suggest would be ok to make these.
Sorry for all the questions! Having a baby in less then a month so want to get as much as I can done before baby so I don't run out of time nearer Christmas. Any help or advice would be gladly appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockmygypsysoul

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013 05:32:30 AM »

I don't know about some of the sauces and the cookie stuff; sorry!  But I do know that most homemade dog treats are usually recommended for about 2 weeks or so which sucks in terms of early prep, although I'm sure you could find a recipe or two that allow for longer times.  I do know that you can do dry rub mixes further out than any prepared sauces and what-not.

Honestly, if I were having a baby any day now, I would have my list and get as much of the shopping part done as possible (for both handmade and non-handmade gifts) since then you'll at least have stuff at home to work on as you can and don't have to try to run around town with new baby in tow.  In fact, I have several chronic illnesses that make errands difficult so that's precisely what I do - that way when I am having tougher days, I can craft without needing to go anywhere to do it.

Obviously, I would also focus on picking out gifts that are relatively quiet, easy, and can be quickly put to the side.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013 12:20:00 AM »

I need ideas!!
sis 11- like animals
sis 13- Tomboy, obsessed with tv
sis 23- obsessed with taylor kinney (and chicago fire)
BIL 30- family guy freak!
mom- Not a clue!
aunt- likes frogs
g-ma- has everything, likes lighthouses, thinking mabey a plastic canvas light house on a stick
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Antidigger
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013 01:12:39 AM »

What am I making?

Ooh, err, as much as I can considering that I have a new full time job that seems to take every waking hour.

Talking about the day job: undoubtedly it will be my job to make some sort of decoration for us, we have a wee coffee area surrounded by cubical boards for privacy, I'll make some fake baubles for it from Christmas papers.

Definitely
Christmas Cards (need approx 75) (stocktake: 7 commercial cards, 23 handmade therefore 45 to make)
Gift tags (need 26) (stocktake: 21 commercial and 1 handmade therefore 4 to make)
Some variety of gift wrapping
Christmas biscuits (an alternative to cards, for those people that I see)

I am obliged to make for
Mother in law- a selection of small things: ornamental pen, flower brooch, pink rose plant, slippers, camera.

People I choose to make for
Beloved- what do you get for someone who just buys whatever they want, even the week before his birthday?
Mother- literary tin with page markers, plant.
Brother- Jumper (not expected in time for Christmas because of a 9 month lead time!)
Sister in law- Huh
Other sister in law- vegetarian toiletries.
Brother-in-law-in-law Huh
Goddaughter- notecards and promise +lego
Godson- notecards and promise +lego
Friends P&C- skiing voucher
Friends R&S- beer, chocolates
Their daughter- game markers
Friends J&M- chocolates
Friends A&M- chocolates
Their children- game
Friends J&H- chocolates
Friends F&S- goat

Team-mates- watches in team colours (not local or handmade but I will stencil the logo on) 8 of.

green-I'm making.
blue-bought but local & handmade:
purple- local
lime green- supporting charity
red-neither local nor handmade
maroon- recycled from Dad's stash
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013 04:17:20 AM by Antidigger » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
rockmygypsysoul

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013 01:16:54 PM »

I need ideas!!
sis 11- like animals
sis 13- Tomboy, obsessed with tv
sis 23- obsessed with taylor kinney (and chicago fire)
BIL 30- family guy freak!
mom- Not a clue!
aunt- likes frogs
g-ma- has everything, likes lighthouses, thinking mabey a plastic canvas light house on a stick

Here's a few ideas, many of which may suck.  I have a hard time coming up with ideas as well!

11yr old sister and 13yr old sister - I don't know.  Seriously.  I have a 13 yr old niece (Niece A) and an 11 yo niece (Niece B) and I never know what to give them.  For Niece B, this year I think I'm going to do a scarf with some felt flowers and light embroidery - I'm making her mother one as well so they will be matching which I think she will like.  She tends to be a bit...juvenile.  For Niece A - who cannot grow up fast enough - I think some of her favorite gifts are DIY kits and this past year for her birthday I did a mirror that I painted hot pink and black zebra (her favorite pattern and colors).  I did a black panel at the top and put her name and then I added several hooks across the bottom so she could use it for bracelets and necklaces.  She really liked that gift.  Other recent favorite was a necklace I stamped with some Bruno Mars lyrics and a journal that I decorated the pages of.

Older sister and BIL - Whenever I can, I love to do couple gifts.  Home goods (like etched glasses) or decor (like wall art) are some of my favorites.  I also like kits (like a kit for ice cream sundaes with different toppings, cute bowls, different sauces, etc where they just add the ice cream).  If they're religious, Christmas is a good time for an advent wreath.

One favorite I've done was a set of four shotglasses that had the logos from favorite TV shows.  My brother and his wife won't even use them; they just have them on display.  My husband also loves Family Guy and one of our first Christmases I handpainted characters and quotes from them on a set of plain white boxers.  If that would be inappropriate for your BIL (as it might be, depending on your relationship), you can always handpaint a shirt.

Mom - My MIL is getting an infinity scarf this year for her birthday; last year, I gave her a necklace with a quote about being a mother and added a crystal for the birthstones of each of her kids.  Other times I have given her and FIL a mosaic cross, a set of homemade jams and jellies, and wreaths.  I love wreaths and I make them and give them as gifts often.  This year they are getting a large wood birdhouse that is similar in fashion to their house and I will be handpainting it to match.

Aunt - Maybe a set of cards with a frog stamp and accent design?

Grandmother - For people with everything, I like stuff that is useful (and preferably something that can be depleted) more than decorative since then they will use it rather than have it sit somewhere as one of many things (plus it leaves a need for future similar gifts).  Food, stationery, clothing, etc tends to work well.

Any adults - I have found that handpainted ornaments are awesome gifts for almost everyone - inexpensive (though time consuming depending on how detailed your ornament will be) and unique.  You can also do felt ornaments which are also inexpensive and can be done in just about every theme.  Necklaces, pins, etc can also be done with metal stamping or polymer clay with favorite quotes, lyrics, Bible verses, etc.  Men are trickier (for me at least) but you seem pretty luck on that front with far fewer guys to plan for than me.  Cheesy 

Also, see if there is something practical you can do.  Last year for Christmas I took my mother's address book with its billions of pits of paper and envelopes and random things and transferred it all into a new address book that was totally updated and had everything where it was supposed to be.  For my sisters last year, I took a bunch of favorite family recipes (from my grandma's pound cake to my mom's Chex mix recipe, to my favorite quiche) and created a scrapbook-style cookbook.  Everything is inside plastic so they can easily wipe down any spills or messes and they can add in more pages with their favorite recipes.

Anyway; hope that helps!  If you have ideas for things you can't do, etsy is great but I recommend swaps here on Craftster if you haven't done them before.  Certain swaps like the Ongoing Wish Swap and Shop the Swap (and others) are ideal for getting gifts for other people.  I can't sew, knit, or crochet but I have things like a knit scarf for my sister and a sewn belt bag for my nephew and so on from swapping. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Psychiatrist Pens Psychological Thriller Romance Novel
Carolyn Dalgliesh Talks About the Sensory Child Gets Organized
An Interview With New York Times Bestselling Author Lisa Renee Jones
Gary Pomerantz: What Are You Reading?
A. Scott Berg on Woodrow and Edith Wilson
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...