A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Essence of Hinkypunk bottle  (Read 853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: July 28, 2013 11:37:28 PM »

For Harry Potter Craft along Defense Against the Dark arts class I needed to craft around the elusive and dangerous Hinkypunk..  Known for leading travelers away from the path, deep within the forest, only to attack them by shooting fire at them from their lantern, I knew my Hinkypunk project should revolve around the light they generate.  One morning I came across this link http://www.villabarnes.com/2012/05/silvered-bottles.html to silvering bottles and found it simply enchanting.  I loved the vintage, dirty finish to the bottles, no where near a mirror finish.  Leaving nothing to chance I scratched rust into my vintage style vanilla bottle, funneled a bit of dirt in, AND poured in a few drops of water.  It was a classic case of overkill.  I poured in about 1/4 of silvering liquid, screwed the lid on, and shook the bottle for a few minutes.  I then opened the bottle and left it outside (up high in a hanging plant pot, out of reach of small hands) to dry.  Several hours later (yes.......... I forgot about it) I came back and DID NOT LIKE the finish.  The cover was NOT thick enough.  I believe this is due to the previously mentioned overkill. Oops. Smiley  I silvered it again and left it to dry.  I found a simple border (the incredibly ornate border I was originally set on using fell apart when I shrank them to fit the bottle) for the label and shrank it using Gimp.  Using layers I was able to add text and a nice north star emblem.  The text is in French in WILDLY ornate script, as ALL good potion bottles should be in unreadable French.  Just to add to the mystic.  Wink  It reads like a lamp oil bottle....

ULTRA PURE
North Star
Essence of Hinkypunk oil
For all of your household lighting needs.

The label is attached with Modge Podge.  I rummaged for my butane lighter in order to burn a few well placed scorch marks to show how the Essence of Hinkypunk had, over time, scorched the bottle's label through the glass with it's INTENSE light, but my friendly household resident pyro had made off with it and I had to settle for plain old matches.  I had almost no control over where the fire led.  It burned as it would, leaving an odd path across the label, and giggling family members as I squealed not the text, Not The Text, NOT THE TEXT and dabbed it with a damp washcloth attempting not to saturate the paper thereby ruining the label.  The glowing liquid inside the bottle is achieved by activating glow sticks, carefully cutting off the ends (one stick at a time), attempting to pour the glowing content into the bottle, discovering the hole blocked by a large chunk of glass, panicking, trying to break the glass with the scissors, pouring the liquid, glass and all, into the bottle and resolving to stomp the puss out of the next stick in order to break the glass up into manageable pieces.  It doesn't work.  Glow sticks are quite happy being as stubbornly difficult as possible.  I did, thankfully, wear gloves for this ENTIRE process, but before I was done the bathroom looked very much like an episode of CSI.  You would have thought I had butchered and juiced hinkypunks right there for my project.
  While I preferred the white glow liquid for this project I only had three sticks, and therefore did not have enough liquid to FILL the bottle, nor enough to be able to shake the bottle, set it up for a picture, and TAKE a picture before the glow liquid all ran back down to the bottom again.  I was surprised that the glow liquid was not more sticky.  It did not coat the inside of the bottle at all, and every picture was a race.  In frustration I then added all of the yellow glow stick liquid I had, resulting in a more golden light emanating from the bottle.  I was very pleased with the liquid's highlighting of the imperfect silver finish of the bottle.  It looks very old, and very worn, like a bottle that has been use for some time maybe bouncing around in Filch's pocket as he goes about lighting the lamps of Hogwart's every evening. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013 05:13:22 AM »

WOW.  You're right, the antiquing of the bottle illuminated from the inside is gorgeous.  I love both the white and yellow looks.  I'm glad the trials of the process ended in a big success.  And reading your explanation was a very entertaining way to start my morning.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
    Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
    midkiffsjoy
    « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013 09:53:25 PM »

Thank you very much. Smiley
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
    DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013 09:01:46 AM »

This is fantastic! I really love how it turned out
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
    Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
    pottermouth
    Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
    « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013 07:31:14 PM »

Thank you for sharing your crafty story; it is as terrific as your Hinkypunk bottle. Love it.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChicky
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013 08:08:45 AM »

Very nice. Thank you for sharing <3
    Nat
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: [1] Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    Amped Book Trailer
    How The Light Gets In 2012: Is Philosophy For Everyone?
    How The Light Gets In 2012: What Happens at a Philosophy Festival?
    How The Light Gets In 2012: Who Has Impacted Your Personal Philosophy?
    Salman Rushdie and Christopher Hitchens Discuss Hitch 22
    Latest Blog Articles
    Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
    Crafty Kitchen
    Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...