A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of lemons  (Read 1165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2013 08:08:26 AM »

Our lemon tree is covered in lemons and all last month I was busy making lemony food.
Lemon curd

I used this recipe from the Daily Mail  and it made two full jars. Very nice and kept well in the fridge.

Lemon Marmalade

From my ancient and dropping-to-bits copy of Marguerite Patten's Jams Pickles and Chutneys
Delicious for Sunday morning breakfast.

Lemon tang ice-cream

This is a recipe my mother used to make when we were kids in Nigeria. No freezers in those days but you could make ice-cream in the trays from the ice-making compartment of the fridge.
1 large tin evaporated milk 397 g
2 eggs separated
3 oz. sugar
grated rind and juice of one lemon
Put the unopened tin of evaporated milk in a pan of water and boil for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and then chill overnight in the fridge.
In double boiler (or basin over hot water) beat together egg yolks, lemon rind and juice and 2 oz. sugar until thick. Allow to cool. Whisk evaporated milk until thick and fold into lemon mixture. Whisk eggs whites till stiff. Beat in remaining sugar.  Fold into lemon mixture. Place in ice-making trays and freeze.

Lemon drizzle cake

Having made the lemon curd I had to have a go at r.craftwright's lemon and almond cake

Unfortunately it turned out nothing like her's because it collapsed in the middle, but since everyone was quite happy to eat it like that it didn't matter.  But I wanted to try and get it right so  I made another one and the same thing happened. Then my Mum-in-law said she'd had the same problem until she switched to making it in a round tin so I made another one and guess what, it collapsed in the middle again.  Cry
So I guess I am doomed to have all my lemon cakes sag in the centre but since they taste okay and I have no ambition to enter them in a show, I can live with it.

Lemon squash

My Grandmother's recipe
3 lemons
2 lbs. sugar
1 pt. boiling water
2 oz. citric acid

Pour boiling water over the lemons and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Remove lemons and dissolve sugar and citric acid in the water. Squeeze lemons and add the juice. When cool store in the fridge and dilute to taste.

Last of all  - Lemon creams

Only they aren't really. Just plain 1-2-3 biscuits sandwiched together with  thick glace icing made from lemon juice and icing sugar.

Still a lot of lemons on the tree so I plan to make lemon surprise pudding and lemon meringue next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013 08:29:56 AM »

Oh my goodness, you are so lucky!  Where do you live to be blessed with such a gorgeous tree?  Everything sounds wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013 09:50:29 AM »

They all look delicious. Thanks a lot for the recipes. I want to try them with passion fruit since I don't have many lemons. My lemon tree is pathetic and doesn't even give me a fruit a year, lots of flowers but no fruit. I admire your gorgeous tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013 10:00:08 AM »

Well, my mouth is watering Cheesy I wish I could grow lemons here, but too cold Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013 02:28:26 PM »

Wow! That all looks delicious! How amazing to have a lemon tree.  Home made lemon curd sounds amazing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013 09:38:40 AM »

Thanks everyone. We really do love our lemon tree. Planted it 12 or 13 years ago. We live in Harare, Zimbabwe and whatever other problems we have here, growing lemon trees isn't one of them.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013 10:23:41 PM »

Wow! Our lemon tree has never grown any lemons, but it's still tiny. It was in a planter on the kitchen counter for the longest time, but we've finally put it outside in a much bigger planter (With the dirt and tree in it, it's about 400 lbs and we have to bring it inside when it gets cold!) It's doing so much more better outside than inside, though. I think it's going to stay miniature, though. My stepmom would absolutely love to have all those lemons at her disposal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013 03:49:00 PM »

I am so envious of your fresh lemons and homemade lemon curd.  Lemon curd is so hard to get around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013 11:59:07 PM »

TkRainy.  I am amazed at your dedication to your lemon tree.  Lugging a 400lb pot around is no mean feat.  I hope you are rewarded with many lemons.
kjlutz I think lemon curd is so perishable, because of the eggs, that even in the fridge it has a very short shelf life. I only make a jar or two at a time - whatever I think we can eat in a week or so. Whereas with marmalade I make tons because it lasts forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Laminated Service Lists
How to Make Furry Inch Worms for Kids
How to Make a Baby-Proof Photo Ring
How to Make Handmade Dolls
How to Make Applique Baby Bibs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...