A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Constellation curtain  (Read 1019 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: July 28, 2013 12:20:39 AM »

For my Astronomy class, in the Harry Potter Craftalong, I had to create something that honors the summer night sky.  I decided to make a curtain that has the constellations on it that glows at night.  I started with a sheer curtain.  The same curtain that hangs in every front window of my home.  *This* curtain was from my children's bedroom.  Smiley  I unfolded it and spread it on the floor.  I then folded the print out of constellations into the same folds as the curtain had from sitting, folded, waiting to be made into something new.  This was my reference.  It helped me paint the constellations onto the right areas of the curtain and keep it, somewhat, in perspective.  I squeezed paint onto a cream cheese lid and loaded a paint pouncer.  My intention was to use the pouncer to pounce paint "stars", little round suns, onto the curtain and then connect them with paint squeezed from the bottle into the shapes of the constellations.  I did this to the entire curtain and then allowed it several hours to dry. 

This is when I discovered that paint goes through sheer curtains and glues them to the floor.  When I pulled the curtain off of my beautifully hand stained concrete floor, the dried paint pulled the stain up with it, varnish and all.  There is now a section of my living room floor that glows in the dark. Wink  I waited until night, only to discover that a paint pouncer does NOT deposit enough paint on to sheer curtains to register at night.  The connecting lines glowed brightly, but the stars did not glow at all.  The next day I spread the curtain out OVER THE LINOLEUM IN MY KITCHEN, a *much* better choice, and repainted all of the stars, squeezing paint straight from the bottle into a nice, thick, round button of paint, which reminded me of Winton's melting chocolate tokens.  Smiley  After several hours drying time it, quite easily, pulled off the linoleum.  The hardest part of this project was cleaning the kids' room enough to take a picture of it hanging up. Smiley 

Sadly my camera would not take a picture of the curtain glowing in the dark.  And it DOES.  Very nicely.  The kids LOVE it.  And all the cars that pass get a little startled.  "What the heck is that GLOWING in that house's WINDOW!!!???!!"   Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Taramor
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013 03:35:39 AM »

beautiful idea, I would love to look at the summer sky every night. And I hope you will be able to fix your concrete floor  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013 10:19:51 AM »

What a lovely idea.  I'd love a set of glow in the dark curtains.  Your kids are so lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013 07:00:19 PM »

I...... I actually kinda *like* the glow in the dark on the floor.  rofl.  I've been wanting to paint the night sky (with glow in the dark paint) on the ceiling of my house since we moved in 9 years ago.  Smiley  The ceiling in the kids' rooms are painted to look like the day time sky. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fans of the Pendragon Series Talk About Favorite Characters and Scenes
Philippa Gregory Talks About The White Queen Characters
Laura Anne Gilman on Writing the Vineart War
Dannii Minogue on Her Book Dannii - My Story
Elegant Readings with Michael Ian Black
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...