A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: jamaican themed party?  (Read 3206 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shsupernova
funny love

your chopsticks dance will win over his heart

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2005 04:28:50 AM »

so my sister and her fiance are planning on getting married in jamaica this winter, and when they return we will be having a very casual reception for them.  we would like to bring a little of jamaica to the party, since none of the guests will be going to the wedding there.  i've seen lots of things for luau or hawaiian parties, but i'm wondering if there's anything that would make it seem more jamaican.   Huh  anyone have any ideas??  keeping in mind of course, this will be the middle of december in iowa, so it will definitely be an indoor affair.  thanks in advance!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my website!  thecleverkitty.com
and my etsy shop! www.thecleverkitty.etsy.com
cindylund
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005 12:39:02 PM »

hmmm...thats a hard one.  jamaica make me think of rum, braided hair and dub poetry, but thats all ive got.  sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
domesticgoddess
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005 12:56:45 PM »

I'd browse the travel section at a bookstore for decorating ideas.  A little research never hurts.

Food-wise, in addition to jerk chicken (or jerk anything, really), there are oodles of recipes online if you look up "jamaican food." 

Put a little Marley in the stereo.

Finally, while I would never advocate drug use on a public forum, perhaps a touch of pot-related decor would be amusing.  (For the right crowd, of course).   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005 01:00:55 PM »

reggae, veg patties, coconut, papaya, all tropical fruits, jerk meat (if you eat meat), palm trees, red gold and green decorations, bikini's???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
shsupernova
funny love

your chopsticks dance will win over his heart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005 04:25:54 AM »

thanks for the ideas.  i don't really know anything about jamaica, so now i at least have a starting point.  Wink   maybe i'll try to get to the bookstore this weekend to do some research.  and i'll start hunting for some jerk meat recipies!  yay! Cheesy 

keep the ideas coming!  thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my website!  thecleverkitty.com
and my etsy shop! www.thecleverkitty.etsy.com
LisaMarie

Everybody's got their something

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005 05:18:27 AM »

Once when I was little, we turned up the heat really high and pretended it was the summer in the middle of January. We laid around in our swimsuits, wore flip-flops, put suntan lotion on, had fruity drinks, etc. This was a blast for a bunch of girls stuck in a Minnesota winter, but I don't know how practical it is for a wedding reception.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Notamermaid
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005 07:02:01 AM »

I live in a heavily Jamaican neighborhood, so my suggestions would be
-jerk chicken (you can buy jerk spice mix or marinade in a bottle - its a little spicy with ginger and allspice)
-roti (a flat bread)
-red stripe beer!
-there are also all sorts of interesting Jamaican/west indian sodas - like champagne kola (?! ive been afraid to try it), and ginger beer (a more gingery ginger ale), although i dont know how easy those wll be to find where you are. But it would be fun if you could get them, especilly if its not a big dirnking crowd.

I don't actually hear too much bob marley being played - more dancehall reggae and dub. Red, green, black and yellow would all be good colors for decorations.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrissy17
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005 01:04:30 PM »

hmmm...thats a hard one.  jamaica make me think of rum, braided hair and dub poetry, but thats all ive got.  sorry!
Sad and what do u mean by that, well it's like dis jamaica make you think of fun party getting fucked up and all that good  shit ok please know what hell ur talking about before u do talk ok and that's all i have 2 say about that
                   all out Jamaica's sexyest
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005 01:53:44 PM »

I don't know about everyone else but I think the music sets the tone for a party. While Marley and Peter Tosh are obvious choices I'd also grab a couple "Trojan Lovers Box Sets" (nothing to do with the condoms...Trojan Lovers is a UK based record label, all Jamaican artists.... mostly). They are pretty good compilations and would be more interesting than just Marley. I love the man and his music but who hasn't heard Stir it Up 4,500 times? They'd also take up a good amount of time considering they are all 3 CDs worth of music. Go for the DUB Volume 1 compilation or the ROOTS collection. Also look for dancehall mixes...music to make people dance...can't be a Jamaican party without a healthy dose of  dancing.

I'd also suggest decorating with bright red, yellow, green and black streamers wherever possible. Maybe all twisted together in swags around the room.

Most of my Jamaican friends are also fanatical about Appleton rum so that'd be a good choice for liquor.

Have a kick ass time...I think you've inspired me to throw a party in the same general theme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...