A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,356
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cloth diapering  (Read 611 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2014 05:34:01 PM »

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with how some of these popular online patterns fit on an actual baby, or is also in the process of sewing their own cloth diapers (I saw there was another thread on the topic but it wasn't too active). I have put together a few resources online but am wondering specifically about the following things:

- Has anyone worked with the Cloth Revolution pattern? I am finding some parts of it technically challenging (ie. encasing the elastic once the diaper is turned right side out). Also wondering about reviews - I am making some in the newborn size.

- The Nykibaby pattern? I have bought and downloaded it but haven't started making it. Same question about reviews - I've read a couple of people who seemed to have liked making it but haven't found anyone reviewing the actual fit.

- Working with PUL fabrics. Both of these patterns contain sewing along the sides of the legs, and I've also read of people complaining that there is some leakage along the legs - the PUL instructions I've read seem to shy away from sewing in all areas except seam allowances. However, when I emailed the Nykibaby pattern seller, she said that putting the diaper in the dryer on hot should seal up the holes. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014 05:08:13 PM »

The PUL diaper covers I have say a hot dryer isn't the greatest for them, so I would hesitate to do that.

Sewing your own cloth diapers is cool, but may not be a good realistic solution, because babies have different bottoms, and you have no idea if the baby bottom you are growing will match the diaper you are making.  Also, until you cloth diaper, you don't really know your own preferences as a mom. 

For instance, I bought a ton of AIOs for my son.  Then realized I hated stuffing them, hated restuffing them, and hated how they took forever to dry.  So I switched to diaper covers and prefolds for him, and that worked better.  My friend has had 3 kids, and each one had a different body shape, so she had to buy different types of diapers/covers for each one.

Have you checked out diaperswappers.com?  I recall there being home sewers on there; they might be able to give you better direction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014 01:12:52 AM »

Thanks for that PUL feedback. I wasn't sure about a pattern design that relied on manipulating the fabric with heat.

I realize that sewing my own cloth diapers isn't the most ideal approach, because of what you mention - baby bums are different and parents have different preferences. I'm trying a few patterns and types.

I have been on Diaper Swappers a couple of times but found it overwhelmed by advertising...I will take another look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Crane Part 1
How to Fold an Origami Crane Part 2
How to Fold Your own MacBook Air Origami
How to Build a Helicopter from Paper
How to Make an Origami Barking Dog
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...