A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - July 26, 2013  (Read 1269 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , handspun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadlocklove
« on: July 26, 2013 10:12:18 AM »

I had a chance to watch some Game of Thrones and spin... 

Here's some Avocado Salad split in two but not yet set (it's been poopy out and I'd rather dry outside).  I picked the roving up on Etsy.  The base is a superwash merino with touches of silk, seacell, bamboo, soysilk, tencel and banana.

This spinning part went so well but when it came time to take the yarn off the spindle to ply, the yarn broke in one spot.  I guess I need to work on wrapping properly as I'm spinning...  Anyway, I took the opportunity to try a few different yarns for plying.  The first one is the same wool I used for the Icelandic lamb project posted last week (46 yards) and the second is a light green organic cotton (43.5).  I like the first one better.

Then I had the pleasure of ooohing and ahhhing over some tussah silk!  Yes, that's the fanciest I've worked with.  It drafts so easily and smells so good and I just love everything about it!  From 2 ounces, I managed to get about 96 yards.

I'm not sure if tussah is supposed to be set like other fibers or left as is? 

Anyway, I'll be out of roving soon...   Cry

THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013 10:21:04 AM »

Looking good. I love playing 1 roving 2 different ways. It's cool to see how different 1 thing can be from itself. You did great. Don't run out of roving! That would be sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013 12:46:21 PM »

I was anxiously waiting for this thread to start cuz I have been spinning away. I've only had my wheel for a couple I weeks but I'm hooked on making art yarn. Here is some merino spin with fake pearls on a string. Not sure what one would do with it but I saw a tut on YouTube and had to try.

And this one has been my favorite so far. It's merino core/plyed on mohair with silk noiles.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013 12:55:24 PM by najaorama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
jexxican

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013 01:21:33 PM »

So fun, naja! The first one totally looks like a beginner yarn, but that's a good thing! Love it! And that second one looks so fun! Good jab.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

dreadlocklove
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013 03:53:47 PM »

Those are beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
GingerKnitter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013 10:32:24 PM »

Dreadlocklove - I love the avocado salad on the left. I personally think the dark one complements the fiber very well. Plus I adore the thick portions because I love knitter garments with a bit of texture.

So I haven't been around for very long. Do you always ply with a commercial yarn? Do you prefer this over two plies of the same fiber? I've never plied like that beyond using thread to make a boucle yarn or a corespun, so I'm curious.

And the tussah silk is wonderful! Love the natural coloring!

And don't be sad about spinning through the stash. It gives you incentive to go out and buy more!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013 10:33:24 PM by GingerKnitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GingerKnitter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013 10:35:39 PM »

Najaorama - I love the  merino core/plied on mohair with silk noils. I especially love the contrast between the white and blue, and how it has that stripey barber pole effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013 06:44:39 AM »

Beautiful yarns ladies!
Dreadlocklove, isn't silk to die for?  such a dream to spin. As to setting it, you can soak it, but steaming it is WAY more fun to watch.  Take 2 wooden spoons and hold your hank over a pot of rapidly boiling water.  You can actually see the twist moving and setting. so cool.
Naja, very lovely, I do love the second one quite a bit!

I've been doing a bit of spinning. but no pics that I've uploaded yet. perhaps I'll get to it sunday Smiley Going golfing today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013 08:43:36 PM »

Spinning again at the market! Still not getting rid of any of my yarn, but I have made progress on that yarn I'm going to make the scarf for for that one guy. I have 2 jumbo bobbins full of 2 ply yarn and woah, I still have tons of rolags left! I should have made it 3 ply but too late now.

Before I go any further I need to know, should I just crochet it right off of the bobbin or should I set the twist first, thereby giving it one last hot bath before I go into working it up? He did say he didn't want it washed anymore and he wants it really dirty and raw... I don't know!
Also, which pattern should I use? I was thinking cables and found this one on Ravelry but while searching I also found this basket weave pattern. Anyone have thoughts? Help me out, ladies! I don't make decisions! He is very  much an old hippy guy who works in the oil field, used to live in like Ireland or something, and likes guy stuff, like fishing. He left the pattern up to me, he just knows he wants it tight and raw. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013 08:44:20 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

GingerKnitter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013 08:53:51 PM »

What about soaking in just plain water? To set the twist, but not thoroughly clean it out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pete Cerqua Talks About 90-Second Fitness Solution
Jim Benton Talks About Franny K. Stein Series
Meet Author Gustavo Arellano
David McCullough Wishes He Had This Talent
Frank Lipman Talks About Spent
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...