A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carpenters Wheel Blankie  (Read 5512 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013 10:15:46 PM »

Looks great!  Thank you for posting the pattern and the history of the design.  How did you do the granny squares that were made up of two differently-colored triangles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
horsygirl321
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013 01:55:49 PM »

I love this! Igoing to have to save that chart.  Cheesy Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        You like my designs? Wow, thanks!
      You can check out the patterns here:         
           http://oregonstream.etsy.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taramor
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013 02:19:41 PM »

It is a great blanket. And all the symbolic meaning makes it special! And thank you for the chart - I have saved that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizzy.cos
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013 02:03:15 AM »

Love that! really clever idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xyphir
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013 03:14:20 PM »

Granny squares with two colors aren't as hard as they seem - did a couple to practice, first.
I use a magic circle, though it would also work with the traditional chain two.
1) Make your circle and first two brides/shells. I tend to go bride, chain two. Leave a biggish loop so that you can join the thread. DO NOT CUT THE THREAD (Guess what my first mistake was! Lol)
2) Pick up your second color and chain three from the middle of the magic circle. Take out your hook from the chains you are working and stick it through the biggish loop you left from the first color. Bring the final hoop of the new color through the biggish hoop of the old color and pull the old color stitch tightish. Finish making the bride. 3) Make next bride and join to the first bride. with a slip stitch - DO NOT CUT THREAD.
You will now have your first round. ie Four brides, two in each color.
4) Using that same second color, slip-stitch in to the centre of where you do the corners for the corner you just finished. For me, I just slip one to get to the middle as my corners have two chains. I know some people put three chains, so wherever the 'middle' of the corner is (or is that the corner of the corner?? Lol) You would have had to turn the square so you now have the 'back' facing you.
5) Chain three and complete the bride (only one bride in this corner)
6) Carry on around the square to the opposite corner. Leave a biggish loop on the working thread and take hook out.
7) Pick up original thread and chain three. Slip the hoop of the previous color over the chain and finish the bride.

I kinda made up how to change the colors. I saw some tutorials on youtube, but didn't like how they did it, so kinda made it up. The trick seems to be doing those first three chains for the bride and then slipping that last stitch over so that it acts and looks just like you haven't stopped.

Also, I join as I go, so for my final round, sometimes I have to leave the dangler for quite a while, while I worked/joined. If making the triangle-squares to a pattern, make sure you check which way the durn triangle is meant to go before joining - I wouldn't know ANYTHING about having to undo a row a couple of hundred times because I put it on backwards...

Definitely reccomend practicing for a bit. Depending on how you like your crochet to look, this continuous method means that the 'back' and 'front' aren't as obvious on the colored squares, but on the plain squares there is still a definite front and back. If I were more of a perfectionist, I would do all the squares to look the same front and back ie make a 'colored' square out of just one color... but yeah, that's just pedantic and pandering to my OCD!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013 06:21:02 PM »

This is absolutely stunning!  Nice work  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cirque Du Soleil Show Dralion Performers
Art Showcase: Messerschmitt ME 109 G
Building a German U-Boat
Art Showcase: Spitfire Mk IX
Art Showcase: Avro Arrow Mailbox
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...