There really isn't a section for "quilt in progress", but every square is a completed project in and of itself, so I decided to go ahead and post it here.
This is the first quilt I've worked on since 6th grade (2 and a half decades ago.... ). I've wanted to quilt for EVER. I've studied quilting. I've gone to quilt shows. I've designed quilts. I once bought a quilter's ENTIRE book/magazine/pattern collection at a estate sale. But I have never found the time to actually quilt. I have been so inspired by everyone's quilting that I have decided to quilt a Harry Potter Craftalong Summer Semester quilt.
This is my first quilt block. The theme was Farmer's Market. When I was growing up my Pawpa grew the best tasting water melons in 3 counties. I hesitate to admit what all he traded his water melons for, but needless to say they were worth their weight in gold. SO, In honor of him I made this quilt block. The border is John Deere fabric, because he always drove a tractor, and it is pieced in the same way that I built my mother's first square foot garden beds 2 decades ago.
The background fabric of the quilt block is flour sack cloth.
The Sunbonnet Sue is wearing a dress actually cut from a pair of engineer overalls, which is what Pawpa ALWAYS wore. Her shirt sleeve is from a men's dress shirt. He always wore stripped men's shirts. Her hat is cut from an actual red bandanna. Every farmer wore one while I was growing up to keep the dust out of their face and dip in cool water on a hot day. The one I cut this from I've been using since I was a young girl. The red wagon she is pulling was also cut from this bandanna.
The wagon's handle is black ribbon. I've never sewn ribbon down. That was fun and I'm excited about using ribbon in my future quilt squares. I used vintage 1950's buttons for wagon wheels, and sewed them on with the white cotton thread that is used to sew shut feed sacks (yes I got it from an actual feed sack). The letters and all of the blanket stitch are sewn with embroidery thread. I used 3 strands for the blanket stitching and 4 strands for the lettering. In hindsight I would have liked to use feed sack thread for the lettering. I had been afraid, at the time, that it would have been too thick. After I was done I decided that I probably could have used it and it would have been fine. The blackberry between the lettering is iridescent seed beads sewn down one at a time.
The different fabric pieces were cut out of fabric with an iron of fusible webbing backing, and then glued on and sewn around. I read a lot about people using double sided fusible webbing, but this is what I had and farmer's use what they have on hand. I feel really guilt for not turning and stitching the edges, Aunt Bendina would have a stern word for me if she were still alive, but I think I did pretty good for my first pictorial quilt block I've ever done.