A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Farmer's Market Quilt Block  (Read 466 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: July 20, 2013 06:32:04 AM »

There really isn't a section for "quilt in progress", but every square is a completed project in and of itself, so I decided to go ahead and post it here.  Smiley  This is the first quilt I've worked on since 6th grade (2 and a half decades ago.... ).  I've wanted to quilt for EVER.  I've studied quilting.  I've gone to quilt shows.  I've designed quilts.  I once bought a quilter's ENTIRE book/magazine/pattern collection at a estate sale.  But I have never found the time to actually quilt.  I have been so inspired by everyone's quilting that I have decided to quilt a Harry Potter Craftalong Summer Semester quilt. Cheesy  This is my first quilt block.  The theme was Farmer's Market.  When I was growing up my Pawpa grew the best tasting water melons in 3 counties.  I hesitate to admit what all he traded his water melons for, but needless to say they were worth their weight in gold.  SO, In honor of him I made this quilt block.  The border is John Deere fabric, because he always drove a tractor, and it is pieced in the same way that I built my mother's first square foot garden beds 2 decades ago.  Smiley  The background fabric of the quilt block is flour sack cloth.  Smiley  The Sunbonnet Sue is wearing a dress actually cut from a pair of engineer overalls, which is what Pawpa ALWAYS wore.  Her shirt sleeve is from a men's dress shirt.  He always wore stripped men's shirts.  Her hat is cut from an actual red bandanna.  Every farmer wore one while I was growing up to keep the dust out of their face and dip in cool water on a hot day.  The one I cut this from I've been using since I was a young girl.  The red wagon she is pulling was also cut from this bandanna.  Smiley  The wagon's handle is black ribbon.  I've never sewn ribbon down.  That was fun and I'm excited about using ribbon in my future quilt squares.  I used vintage 1950's buttons for wagon wheels, and sewed them on with the white cotton thread that is used to sew shut feed sacks (yes I got it from an actual feed sack). The letters and all of the blanket stitch are sewn with embroidery thread.  I used 3 strands for the blanket stitching and 4 strands for the lettering.  In hindsight I would have liked to use feed sack thread for the lettering.  I had been afraid, at the time, that it would have been too thick.  After I was done I decided that I probably could have used it and it would have been fine.  The blackberry between the lettering is iridescent seed beads sewn down one at a time. Smiley  The different fabric pieces were cut out of fabric with an iron of fusible webbing backing, and then glued on and sewn around.  I read a lot about people using double sided fusible webbing, but this is what I had and farmer's use what they have on hand.  I feel really guilt for not turning and stitching the edges, Aunt Bendina would have a stern word for me if she were still alive, but I think I did pretty good for my first pictorial quilt block I've ever done. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013 12:37:35 PM »

It's super sweet! Yay for jumping in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
mountain_waif
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013 01:13:59 PM »

Simply perfect!  I love it.  Looking forward to seeing your next block.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013 06:13:07 PM »

Boy you sure took on a complex project for sure.  I just love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chilled Broccoli Salad Recipe
How to Make Eggs Over Easy and Sunny Side Up
BBQ Pulled Turkey Recipe
Grits Recipe
Scrambled Eggs Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...