A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
910 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help With Poppet Eye's Please  (Read 656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Annie38
« on: July 19, 2013 12:22:47 PM »

I have readied where people are using size 15 to 18 in eyes but what kind of eyes are they Glass Eyes or Plastic Safety Eyes and how do you put them in.Is there a tutorial on eyes if so can someone show me where it my be or tell me how to use the eyes Thank You
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013 02:39:28 PM »

I think a lot of people use safety eyes. To put them in you basically snip a teeny tiny hole then put the post through the fabric and push the plastic washer up the post.  There are other ways though. Here are some tutorials that are related to this:

Handmade Safety Eyes   

Changing normal safety eye into an eyeball and how to insert it

Poppet Eyelids
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annie38
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013 03:30:07 PM »

Thank You  Jungrrl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jupiternames

There is no death, there is the Force.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013 10:03:51 PM »

I was really unsure about this at first too! I knew I wanted to do safety eyes, but wasn't sure the way to make them look really good, or even what size to buy. I do like jungrrl says, but I'm going to elaborate a bit because I do a few additional things...

First, I make dots on the face where I want the eyes, measuring to be equally distant from the seam, then I make the tiniest clip possible on the dots.
Next, I load "eyeliner" (identical cut pieces of ultrasuede) onto the shank of a safety eye, if I'm doing make-up. I cut the eyeliner pieces how I want them before the next step.
Then I push the shank of the safety eye through the tiny hole in the Poppet head, which widens it to fit perfectly.
After the eye is in, I use a tip I found on an amigurumi site. I add a piece of cushy fabric to the inside. I basically cut a small hole in the cushy fabric and add it to the shank on the inside of the Poppet's head. As I understand it, this is supposed to smooth the appearance of the safety eye shank. I don't know if it's necessary, but it is easy.
Finally, I add the shank (press it on hard!).

BUT, I'm not done, because after that I stuff the head very firmly, and then thread a needle. I try to use the needle catch up the cushy fabric on the inside of the head and anchor it to the neck hole. It takes a couple of strokes. I do this totally optional step to try to sink the eyes in a little because I want my Poppets to look more realistic.

Then, as for what safety eyes to buy, I got 12mm to use on my Poppets, but 15mm for my house elves (but, for the elves I followed the eyeball tutorial that jungrrl recommended above). I liked the 12mm size especially because I didn't have any stretch to my fabric.

Here is a link to my first Poppet, where I wasn't very successful with getting any depth to the eye, but it shows the eyeliner I made, which I would be happy to explain more.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=592039&ppuser=320939#axzz2ZYWynDHZ

Really I ought to just get ambitious and whip up a Poppet head then give it some eyes for tutorial fodder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013 04:57:14 AM »

I use both safety eyes and I sketch mine eyes on some poppets as well, I suppose it depends on what kind of poppet and what look I'm going for.... the tutorials that jungrrl posted up are the same ones I learned how to do it from, aside from the poppet eyelids which took me forever to figure out (perhaps I'm just stupid?), everything else was perfectly easy to understand even with a toddler distracting you xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
Annie38
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013 10:19:29 AM »

Thank You all for the help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ends of the Earth Photography: A Photographer Follows Her Passion
This Is What Happens When You Attach Your Camera To A Kite
Photographers Capture Urban Decay
Rineke Dijkstra: When Art Reflects Art
Bob Gruen LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...