A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clay Cthulhu's and Dragons NEW PICTURES  (Read 1070 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2013 03:08:14 AM »

I feel kinda stupid, posting my amateur attempts at making clay figures, but I figured I'd share because I barely ever post on craftster. I recently got an amazing camera, so, there's no reason not to take pictures now! I was browsing DeviantArt and found a girl who makes these AMAZING clay dragons. When she lists them in her Etsy, they are all gone in MINUTES, no joke. So. I got a hankering to start making my own clay things. I tried making dragons like hers, failed epicly, then I noticed she had a tutorial on youtube. The only thing I really took from that was making tinfoil armatures. I also didn't want to make dragons, because (1) I suck at making wings, as you'll see and (2) I felt like I'd be stealing her thing, even though I made a completely different style than hers. Plus, for some reason I really wanted to make Cthulhu's, and, well, I'd like to continue making those and hopefully selling them in my own Etsy shop because I enjoy making them and in my opinion, they turn out better. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to advertise... If they ever do end up in my Etsy, it'll be quite a while because I don't have the money to buy shipping supplies anyways.) Anyways, sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I don't like to just drop a bunch of pictures and not say anything about them. Here you go: (Sorry for the large photos)

My first Cthulhu. Ain't he cute?

This is one of my first dragons. Yeah, I don't like him either.

Another first one. Meh.

Another adorable Cthulhu!

I decided to jump on the tentacle bandwagon, since I'm already making Cthulhus.

Creepy evil Cthulhu holding a "soul".

Sleepy Cthulhu.

Bronze Cthulhu pendant.

I spent a lot of time on this Griffins feathers, but his head still really bothers me...

Dragon. His little spike broke off on this side...

I made the mistake of trying to paint his wings white...

Crappy. Pony. Do not like the pony.

Anyways. What do you think for a beginner? C&C welcome!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013 10:32:46 PM by TkRainy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

xstitchcrazy
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013 03:39:01 AM »

These are adorable, keep up the good work and you will be awesome in no time!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebecnik
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013 06:48:53 AM »

I think if you're this good as a beginner, you're going to be incredible after very little practice. I think you do very well with proportions and finish in particular. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutemonster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013 08:05:03 PM »

They're so cute! I love the little green one with his radioactive looking eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013 10:32:17 PM »

Thank you! I feel like I have improved simply because I started to spend a longer time on each piece instead of trying to do something good in a matter of minutes. Here are a few more pictures of recent work:

This is the Cheshire cat from Madness Returns that I've made for my friend. I added a jump ring to one of his ears for his earring after I took pictures.

This Toothless isn't finished yet but he's close! I baked his wings before adding them to the body and I still need to bake the whole thing, then paint his eyes. This will be for my BF but I'm going to make a couple more for friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NerdEcrafter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013 05:31:49 AM »

That's a lot of improvement already! It's all about patience. If you rush, you will have a hard time. I learned that when you make something for the first few times, take your time, then your hands get better and you can move a bit quicker ^_^
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014 12:08:58 PM by cackle - Reason: Quoted pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

A TRUE LOVE Story Never Ends

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014 10:42:39 PM »

I know these is an older post, but I really like them! I like toothless too. Smiley Great job. My kid would love them all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Will swap for Dinosaurs*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sidewalk Chalk with Brendan Fraser
DIY Seashell Candles
Tie Dying Basics
Easy DIY Fabric iPhone Covers
How to Make a DIY Beach Cover-Up
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...