A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ordering Yarn Online?  (Read 650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2013 10:13:54 PM »

I've heard of many people ordering their yarn online. I'm interested in doing this, the selection at craft stores isn't very big. There IS a yarn store here somewhere, I haven't been there yet but I'm planning on going sometime...

What I want to know is, what are good websites, do they give you good deals, and how do you know which yarn to pick if you can't feel it?

Thanks in advance for your help! I want better options!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013 07:57:45 AM »

Knitpicks.com has a good variety of yarn, decent quality and great prices right now with their semiannual yarn sale until the beginning of August or so. Another site is elann.com; you have to sign in but they offer great discounts on brand name middle to high quality yarn as well as good pricing on their house brand. Both these sites offer similar yarns that you'd find in your local yarn store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
GingerKnitter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013 09:46:47 PM »

I mostly shop from independent dyers on places like Etsy. I second that Knitpicks is great as well, and offers deals while unfortunately Etsy seller don't tend to do deals or coupons. I don't work with their yarns too much, but I think it's generally agreed upon that they are priced reasonably (if not cheaply) and their yarns are pretty good quality. The Loopy Ewe is also pretty awesome and also offers a reward program.

One tip though for Etsy sellers, is follow them on other things besides their shop. I know Pigeon Roof Studios has a blog and she will regularly post deals and discount codes. Because I get blog updates on my RSS feed, I regularly get notice of the deals when I wouldn't have otherwise seen it in the store description (if they even list it there). Sign up for newsletters.

I think that buying yarn is, unfortunately, like roulette. If there is a certain color you are looking for, it could be distorted by your color uncalibrated monitor or the photographers iffy photography skills. I think a big part of it is also knowing what fibers you like to work with. If you really enjoy a merino/silk blend, then get merino/silk blends (if that is what you are looking for for your project). You already know how it feels so it's safe to say that the yarn you'll receive is pretty close to what you know.

Also, most sites have a really good return policy, but it's better to get it right the first time.

But of course, nothing beats supporting your LYS. If you are on Ravelry, there is an option to put in your zip code and look for LYSs in your area.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013 09:49:16 PM by GingerKnitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: Crocheting in the Round
Crochet for Beginners: Chain Crochet Stitch
Choosing a Crochet Stitch
How to Shape the Glass
How to Dress for a Glass Blowing Class
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...