A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 306,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-constructing a massive (2 or 3XL) band tee  (Read 764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweetpea6o19
« on: July 07, 2005 09:01:49 PM »

I have this massive Allman Brothers Band tee shirt that I borrowed from my dad and never gave back. I'd love to be able to wear it, but I'm swimming in it. I usually wear an extra small or small shirt and this particular shirt goes down to my knees.

I'd like to keep some of the length on it, almost like a smocked top (without the ruching). The only issue I have with it is that the sides are tye dyed. I'm worried that if I try to re-size it or change it in any way that it will screw it up. Which I'll regret for the rest of my life because this shirt is rocking.

I'm not the most talented seamstress. I've made a few skirts, but nothing this serious. Should I just take it to a tailor to make sure that it gets done correctly or try to do it on my own?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveyou330
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005 02:07:10 PM »

Alrighty. You didn't mention anything about resizing a shirt before, so I'm guessing it's you first time. First, get a shirt that fits you well, use that as a guide to making your shirt smaller. Here's a picture ( Is this what your shirt looks like)

So you just sew on the gray lines. But before you turn it inside out and start sewing, first mark the lines on the outside lightly with pencil, so you can get an idea of how it will look when your done. Then turn it inside out, sew, and cut off the excess fabric. Be very careful not to make the shirt too tight. What I do is I resize one side first, try it on and see how much more needs to be taken off. Than I resize the other side. Hope that made sense. Good luck! You can always practice on another shirt first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From the book Godless:

Just Al: I know that God is real. I feel his presence in my heart
Me: What does it feel like?
Just Al: It's hard to describe Jason. It feels good.
Me: Oh. I thought maybe it was like heartburn or something.
iloveyou330
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005 02:14:10 PM »

Oh, and this might help http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28002.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From the book Godless:

Just Al: I know that God is real. I feel his presence in my heart
Me: What does it feel like?
Just Al: It's hard to describe Jason. It feels good.
Me: Oh. I thought maybe it was like heartburn or something.
sweetpea6o19
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005 03:01:05 PM »

Alrighty. You didn't mention anything about resizing a shirt before, so I'm guessing it's you first time. First, get a shirt that fits you well, use that as a guide to making your shirt smaller. Here's a picture ( Is this what your shirt looks like)

So you just sew on the gray lines. But before you turn it inside out and start sewing, first mark the lines on the outside lightly with pencil, so you can get an idea of how it will look when your done. Then turn it inside out, sew, and cut off the excess fabric. Be very careful not to make the shirt too tight. What I do is I resize one side first, try it on and see how much more needs to be taken off. Than I resize the other side. Hope that made sense. Good luck! You can always practice on another shirt first.

That's the exact shirt I own- I'm impressed!

And thanks for the tips on re-sizing it. I tried doing it when I was younger (read: 8 or 9) and just mutilated a shirt that I loved. I'll definitely practice first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip
And the sun is still here...
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...