A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Snow Queen Lolita dress  (Read 2280 times)
Tags for this thread: lolita  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cloudsnapper
« on: July 15, 2013 01:28:10 PM »

I'm very proud of this dress, because it's the first successful big sewing project I've done. Also, I drafted my own pattern. I made it for a lolita high tea in Atlanta this past winter where the theme was  "Forest Fairy Tales."

I drafted the bodice using these instructions: http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/constructing-the-basic-bodice-block I think they're very good instructions. I had trouble with the shoulders, but my husband may have measured my shoulder width wrong. That seems like a pretty tricky measurement to take, since it doesn't really have easy endpoints. But re-drafting wasn't too hard.

I did the skirt part from scratch, but honestly, a lolita skirt is very simple. I had a little trouble with the sleeves since most instructions for long sleeves aren't meant for that kind of gathered top. (This blog post has information about making sleeve shapes. http://www.ikatbag.com/2010/08/drafting-part-vii-adapting-basic-sleeve.html) I made a fabric draft and just pinned it where I thought it should be sewn. It ended up giving it a good sleeve shape, but they ended up a couple inches too short. The straps to gather the sleeves at the wrist took pretty much constant adjustment to stay looking good, so I don't think I'll do them that way again.
The crown, I wasn't terribly happy with it. I ended up finishing it at the hotel the night before, and the points were pretty floppy. It also wouldn't stay on at all. I know how to fix it for the future, though. I wrapped fleece and then fur around an embroidery hoop I had bent into a slight oval and glued icicle Christmas ornaments to it for the spikes.

My ankle collars, or whatever they should be called, were really easy. The curve of the fabric is pretty important, though. Make some mock-ups. I used paper towel so it would have at least a little bit of drape. Maybe I should have lined these properly, but I just used FabriTak glue around the edges to seal it. Since it was a really fluffy fur, that worked fine. (By the way, that's my hands-down favorite fabric glue. It's alcohol based, so it dries really fast. It's pretty flexible, too.) They really dressed up my simple character shoes.

The fabric I used was a pretty good light blue satin with a layer of cheap white sheer curtain fabric on top. I basted each piece of the pattern together before I cut them out. I don't know if you need to do that or not, but it made everything line up really well. I had wanted to do light blue satin with a layer of white chiffon, but chiffon is actually a lot more opaque than I had thought. The curtains ended up being so much cheaper in the end, so it worked out well.

Thanks for viewing! I had a lot of fun making this dress.
(The photos with the black background were taken at the tea party by Megan Maude. I don't know if she owns them or if Frill does.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenniferSavage
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013 08:35:25 PM »

This looks amazing! All the elements look great together, but I especially love the sleeves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
cloudsnapper
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013 05:27:20 PM »

This looks amazing! All the elements look great together, but I especially love the sleeves!
Thank you! I really like the sleeves, too. I'll have to use the style on another dress or top Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liliv-1
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013 12:00:17 PM »

I love it very much! Very nice work, you look so cute in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GingerKnitter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013 12:08:34 PM »

This is so whimsical! It's lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yizzimindi
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013 12:54:43 AM »

Lovely! I think the crown looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadameScarletPhantom
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013 12:17:31 PM »

Super cute! Be sure to add pictures when there is snow on the ground, or outside while it is snowing if you would.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudsnapper
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013 09:51:51 PM »

I would love to take pictures of it in the snow, but it rarely snows in North Alabama. Maybe I'll get lucky this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TiffanyCrow
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013 12:15:18 AM »

I think the crown is very pretty.  Smiley   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jamieyh
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013 10:56:54 PM »

Very cute. You look very young with this dress.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013 06:01:02 AM by HSG - Reason: Removed link to comply with Craftster Rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY: Perfect Pair of Cut-Off Shorts!
The Best Front Row Fashion at Paris Haute Couture Week
How to Shop at Thrift Stores
Winter High Street Lookbook
How to Make Your Own Super Bowl Team Tee
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...