A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinterest: good marketing idea or best to avoid?  (Read 753 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2013 07:41:23 PM »

Hi, all,

I'm gearing up to start selling some of my jewelry designs on Etsy, and I've been wondering whether to create a Pinterest board of my work to spark interest and sales, or whether that's just inviting copyright/ design theft. Does anyone have any thoughts/ experiences from the trenches?

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013 05:14:57 AM »

Are your pieces copyrighted and registered with the Library of Congress? If so, then just put some sort of image in each photo with the copyright symbol and the date.

Will that stop anybody? Probably not. It's up to you to defend your copyright in court.

People go to Etsy every day to get ideas and copy designs. That's a fact of life in this business. And you'll never know it's being done until you actually see your work being copied. That's when you defend your copyright.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013 03:36:01 AM by Chris in VT - Reason: My computer can't spell! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013 07:47:32 AM »

If you put something up on the internet machine, it can be copied, period. Don't want it copied? Hide it in your closet and don't show it to anyone.

But registering a copyright and winning in court (that is, if you want the bother and expense of court in the first place) are two different things. You may find that your work isn't as "unique" as you think it is. I think I've seen everything that jewelry can be. You can't show me anything that hasn't been done before in concept or technique. If you have a pretty unusual or elaborate style or it involves actual art (like, you create your own characters or wood scrollwork or incorporate drawing/painting) you could have a case and a reason to protect your style. Otherwise, finding similar work online would be far too easy no matter how pretty your beading is and you would have more work proving your rights than you now expect.

The better way is to buckle down, market and sell your work to an extent where folks know they can get a quality product and good service from you. That takes a lot of work, but the result would be you win on profits and your copycats have to live on crumbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadsbycelleste
Everyone is creative, you just have to find your motivation!

Oh! A new craft?! Can I try?? Pleeeaaaseee!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013 02:37:25 PM »

I'm still pretty new to the crafting business side of things even though I've been making things for 12+ years. I use Pinterest for my personal pinning and reminders for ideas and projects I want to try, but I also use it to "advertise" my business and projects. I use the quotations as I don't blatantly have a board called "MY STORE ITEMS - CHECK IT OUT!" or anything like that. I pin items I've made onto my "Things from Artfire" board and some images from my personal blog on boards like "Crafts to try" or maybe item specific like "Clutches" or "Halloween". I feel it has brought traffic to my blog, but can't tell on my Artfire site just yet if it's affected traffic.

Anything I pin however is up for grabs in the sense that I don't mind what I make inspiring other people to try and make their own things. I feel confident enough in what I do that if it's something I'm trying to sell, I'll be able to garner enough true interest for someone to purchase it one day. Part of my goal is to sell my wares and make some extra money on the side, but the other part is to intentionally help inspire others to try the things I have, so it's not such a concern for me if others try what I have, as long as they're not making the EXACT same thing I am, but that seems like it'd be hard to do with most of what I make and try to sell.

However, Pinterest appears to now have an option of creating/using a personal or a business account!

https://en.help.pinterest.com/entries/22396858-What-s-a-business-account-

Seems like a good thing for our type! Wink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013 02:40:36 PM by beadsbycelleste » THIS ROCKS   Logged

salinasiu
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013 12:37:37 PM »

If you want people to know what your product is, recognize your brand and want to buy it, you can't be worried about this.

If your business can be so easily copied, then it's not a very strong business idea and that's a whole different topic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Filet Crochet
How to Crochet a Bracelet
How to Make a Panda Mask
How to Make a Lion Mask
How to Make a Turkey Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...