A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When I am Sad Girl and Her Pal  (Read 3225 times)
Tags for this thread: creepy_cute , creepy , sad , emo , goth , cartoon_character , amigurumi , doll , zombie , bunny  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cranberrry2001
« on: July 14, 2013 07:59:16 AM »

In May a friend of mine sent a request for a 12 inch tall doll to resemble the main character from the short called "When I am Sad" by Aglaia Mortcheva.

My friend mentioned he requested the doll for a friend who watched this video religiously when she is down and depressed to help her feel better. The doll was made to remind her that people have her back. How cool of a gesture is that?! Good friends are awesome Smiley I love being part of stories like this too Wink.

This being a very different character I was excited to get to it! I first sketched the pair of them to be sure I had them to scale and went to the yarn and fabric stash to see what I could come up with.

I had to order yarn for her skin color which put the project on hold for a beat - giving me time to think on how I wanted to execute everything from her eyes, to her shape, placement of her arms and how I would go about adding her hair. I decided since the illustration of Sad Girl is 2 dimensional I would keep a raggedy anne "flat" look to her as you'll notice more predominantly on the lower portion of her body.

Once the yarn arrived I worked diligently on her head... I had made about half of her head and would pull it out realizing the shape just was not quite right. Increasing is sort of touchy when you aren't just going for a spherical look I found Smiley Wink here I was desiring more of an oval shape so I worked it up and then pulled it out a total of 7 times I think it was (?) each time telling myself that though I'm ripping it out... this is progress..Smiley the shape would not have been right... anyone who knows amigurumi though realizes it take time to single crochet! Chalk it up to lessons learned I suppose Wink

I finished with her head I went onto the body - this part came with more ease... 3 times was the the luck number here . Arms and legs worked up quickly and I really thought she looked complete without her dress.

After checking with my friend what their preference was though I decided to add it. I attached the lace edging and sewed the sides before drawing with permanent sharpie all the flowers Smiley.

This was a fun project though at times I was discouraged, thinking I might now get it done by the deadline of mid July (I started in the last few days of June) they were done in time for them to still be sitting on our bookshelf at the moment. Smiley I did work up the fanged bunny rabbit too and plan to final ize that pattern before too long. I'm at a loss for what to call him though... Fanged Zombie Bunny? Hrm, Hrm Smiley.

I hope you enjoyed the pics! Smiley It was an interesting ride - very glad I did it Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013 10:32:55 AM by cranberrry2001 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandobug
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013 09:47:20 AM »

This turned out awesome! And I totally feel your frustration with frogging and redoing to get the perfect shape.  I'm currently working on a doll project for a friend of mine and I keep doing the same thing so I feel the pain  Shocked  Like you said, just gotta remember even frogging is making progress.  It was well worth it because your doll looks just like the picture!  I love spooky Tim Burton-y art!  Now I'm off to watch the video outta curiosity.  Again, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013 10:11:53 AM »

Really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
cranberrry2001
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013 10:23:00 AM »

Mandobug - thank you so much for your comment! Smiley  I thought the doll had  Tim Burton-y feel to her too Smiley slightly edgy. When you watch the video you'll notice too a bit of gloom and darkness Smiley lol My friend mentioned he requested the doll for a friend who watched this video religiously when she is down and depressed to help her feel better. The doll was made to remind her that people have her back. How cool of a gesture is that?! Good friends are awesome Smiley.

Best of luck with your doll miss! Cheesy I think of Dori from Finding Nemo... ♪♫ Just keep swimming, just keep swimming♪♫ when  I would rather pull my hair out than pull my work out Wink lol Cheesy

Really cute!

Thank you RhymsawOrange as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllaRain
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013 10:25:55 AM »

This is very impressive. It looks just like the picture and I think you really captured the sadness, in a very cute sort of way Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
cranberrry2001
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013 11:13:57 AM »

thank you EllaRain! Cheesy I really appreciate your comment! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JenniferSavage
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013 12:36:02 PM »

She turned out perfectly! She looks exactly like the character!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
cranberrry2001
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013 01:04:24 PM »

Mybabyisacommunist thank you so much! Cheesy

You all are so encouraging! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013 12:12:39 PM »

I think you captured the video character perfectly.  I love the expression on her face.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
cranberrry2001
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013 07:24:20 PM »

Thank you SiFi Mom! Cheesy

I gave the set to my friend tonight and he said they looked even better in person! *beams* Maybe this means I need to brush up on my photo taking skills?? Wink lol I dunno. But his comment made me more happy than sad and my mister said I did a really good job on them - all the accolades - I didn't know what to do with myself lol Smiley so I went back to working on a blanket to calm myself down Wink lol I'm so easily amused Cheesy I'm making progress on blanket too! Cheesy http://lostsentiments.blogspot.com/2013/07/status-of-harlequin-pattern-blanket.html gah! hope I'm not oversharing! Cheesy I have such adventures with a bit of yarn and and idea Cheesy

Thanks again everyone! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetCraftster

My cute pet bunny! :)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013 02:24:19 PM »

Wow! Looks exactly like her!!! I understand about undoing things you crocheted and redoing them. Its quite a pain isn't it? A couple weeks ago I designed a crochet dragon and I had to undo and redo things quite a bit. I'm very happy with the results though, I'm going to be posting a topic about it on Crafster today! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013 04:09:25 PM »

Hey there! Thank you so much for understanding my plight of the frogging things.. Smiley (since it makes that ribbit, ribbit sound Smiley when you pull it out Wink ) but if we're going to bother spending our time on something that lasts its totally important that it be how we like it Cheesy Looking forward to seeing your dragon! Cheesy

Hook on my friend! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetCraftster

My cute pet bunny! :)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013 04:44:45 PM »

Thanks I already posted a topic for it. Hooking is my favorite hobby!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spikefan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013 01:14:37 PM »

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013 07:33:13 PM »

Thank you spikefan! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snailscale
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013 11:14:36 PM »

This is so adorable and well-made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013 05:49:52 PM »

Thank you so much for your comment snailscale! I appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...