A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mama Needs a New Pair of Shoes! (Pic heavy)  (Read 1028 times)
Tags for this thread: glitter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: July 12, 2013 05:19:37 PM »

Well, no, not really.

A couple months ago, I bought a pair of simple black flat shoes from Barefoot Shoes. They had glitter on them and they weren't sealed. I figured they would lose glitter after awhile, and I was right. They aren't anything fancy. I don't even know the brand of them. They're just plain black, ballet-type shoes, I guess. They're pretty cheaply made too. With the glitter coming off the sides like this, it almost feels like it's some kind of cardboard or something they're made out of, sandwiched in between the fabric insoles and the outer glitter.

But after seeing so many shoe-related posts here, I figured it was time to have some shoe fun of my own again.

This was a really quick project tonight. In fact, the longest part of this project was waiting for the Mod Podge and the clear coat to each dry, in between coats.

I picked up two colors of glitter (blue and purple), the Mod Podge and the clear coat at A.C. Moore this afternoon. I spent just over $19 for the supplies. When I came home from work tonight, I spread a garbage bag out on my kitchen counter and got to work. I combined fairly equal parts of the blue and purple glitter together in a bowl and mixed them.

Makin' a mess. Why didn't I keep a box to do this in? I mean, I KNEW I was going to do this project this weekend, and I went and dumped all my cardboard boxes in the garbage can outside anyway. What the hell was I thinking? It looks like the purple Teletubby barfed in my kitchen.

In working on the shoes, I wasn't overly slopping on the Mod-Podge because I wanted to maintain the black ribbon edge. I did, however, continue to go crazy with the glitter. I wanted very full coverage on the shoes. I did the front 3/4 of the shoes with the glue and glitter, and then let them dry somewhat. I needed to keep a place to hold the shoes while working on them.

I was also very careful to avoid tapping the shoes too much after the glitter was on. I figure the clear coat will help any loose stuff be secured to the shoes.

These were a $0.75 pair of shoes the last time I went to the thrift store. I decided I wanted to add some sparkle to these, and because of their price, if it didn't work out, then no big deal.

Wondering if I'm ever going to be able to clean up all the glitter, or will it become a seasoning for breakfast tomorrow.

A DIY-version of Christian Louboutin shoes, but with purple glitter outer heels instead of his trademark red heels?

I stuffed them with plastic bags to avoid overspraying the clear coat into the inside of the shoes.

I think these are going to be a lot of fun to wear. The ballet flats are actually more purple than blue, in real life. I think the camera flash is making them look more blue. I'm trying to decide if I want to add anything to the toes. There was a simple black cord bow on each shoe that I trimmed off before starting, because I hate bows. I don't know if I want to look for a funky set of buttons to glue on or just leave them plain
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013 09:52:52 AM »

I really like the purple ones you did, very smart looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
JenniferSavage
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013 03:41:43 PM »

These both look great! I especially love the glitter flats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013 07:38:25 PM »

Please let us know how they wear! They look fantastic!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Your Hair Faster
How to Rat Your Hair
How to Make Thin Hair Look Lush
Making Dreadlocks
How to Make an Avocado Mask for Dry Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...