A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monkeys Monkeys MONKEYS! *updated 7/25!* *updated 8/23!*  (Read 3074 times)
Tags for this thread: sock_monkey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013 01:11:51 PM »

OK, so I've made 19 of these guys in 8 days. ACK! Here's most of my recent works. I sold some before I got them photographed but the main ones I wanted to show you were the first 3.

These were special ordered from another vendor at the farmer's market:

Superman monkey with a "W" for the boy's first name:

Batman monkey:

And a Very Hungry Caterpillar monkey. I still feel like he's missing something. Any thoughts?

I've been trying some with no buttons. The first 2 of these lack buttons like the VHC one above. You can't see it very well but the first one has felt eyes sewn in place and the second one has stitched eyes.

These 3 were really fun:

The first one there was already assembled without a face (Hooker stage) before I started these so I guess I technically made only 18 1/2 in 8 days but still, that's a lot of monkeys! And since I like the lotus on that one (made from super here mask scraps) so much, here's a close up:

I don't like his eyes very much, though. I think I need to find some small buttons or maybe just stitch bigger circles than the French knots I used. Thoughts?

And a robot monkey. Loved the evolution of this one's personality. It makes up for the other ones that are a little Meh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
jexxican

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013 01:12:49 PM »

Dolphin girl and Gigi's creations, thanks so much! I can't wait to see your monkey, Gigi. You should make your own post for it, that's special!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

mama24boyz
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013 07:49:49 PM »

I love the robot one jexxican!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
jexxican

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013 05:47:58 AM »

Thanks, mama! He was one of the first ones sold yesterday! In fact, other than the first 3 in my last picture post, I only have 2 monkeys left, being Mike the Cancer Monkey and Gangster Monkey, which I just realized the pic with Gangster Monkey isn't up there. *gasp*

There you go, you get Tooth pocket Monkey, Gangster Monkey, and what turned out to be called Pirate Monkey by the boy who took him.

I've decided this thread is going to be constantly expanding with monkeys I make this year. I'm not trying to advertise because I'm not selling them anywhere but locally on Saturdays, but they are selling really good and each one really is different so the more I sell, the more I make and the more I have to share right? Instead of creating new threads each week, I'm just going to keep updating this one. I don't care if people don't comment, I'm really more worried about just making a record for myself if that makes sense. I used to keep a list of all the things I made each month but I don't anymore and I feel like I need to catalog my doings somehow so I hope this is OK. Kind of like a C-ster Monkey Journal if that's cool. (Oh no, I'm awake too early and rambling again.)

Thanks again everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

gotgrey

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013 07:48:01 AM »

They are all so cute!  Maybe, I should check out renting a booth at our local Farmers Market, and try selling my stuffed animals there.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.  My husband's agents and boss ordered a few sock monkeys from me.  Each one had a specific theme.  My husband said the other day, that I should make some more sock monkeys to sell.  I just might do that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013 01:17:52 PM »

Do it, gotgrey. It's amazing fun to see all those kids walking away with giant grins on their faces.
I thought it would be fun to show some progress shots of how I make my monkeys. I do it all assembly line style so at any of these stages I have had up to 35 in progress all in the same stage. Crazy! Thank you cuffs for keeping it all organized.

Start with a pile of socks, cut each pair into 7 pieces, saving one of the cuffs to wrap them with:

Sew 6 of the pieces, chaining them so they all stay together, but still wrapping with the cuff at the end:

Trim and turn those 6 pieces:

Stuff 5 pieces:

Assemble! This is my least favorite stage.

And then after that I personalize them. Lately I've been making that a whole new step, personalizing a bunch at a time, putting all the pieces in a fold top bag and pinning it to the monkey's forehead. Then I stitch them all in a row. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013 01:23:22 PM »

This weeks monkeys:

Picasso monkey:

Mustache Monkey:

No buttons:

Cyclops with his bitches:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013 05:00:46 PM »

Last week's new monkeys:

Buttonless

That dark one was the first to sell last week which surprised me. And Gangster Monkey was in there before but he got an upgrade.

These 2 are fraternal twins because from the front they both look like plain socks but their backs...

are stripey!

This week's new monkeys:

buttonless

More buttonless. But the black one is my fave this week. Looky:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013 04:18:57 PM »

This week's monkeys:

no buttons! The one on the end looks evil.

This guy is inside out! One of my anxieties is sewing that I'm going to sew one piece inside out so I took that anxiety and made a whole monkey out of it. And if he's inside out you should be able to see his heart, right? Oh, maybe I should make some ribs over it. Hm... we'll see if he sells tomorrow and if not maybe I will update him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

mama24boyz
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013 04:30:24 PM »

I love the inside out one! It must have been so much easier to make not having to turn it! Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beach Bunny Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Tips To Make Your Blowout Last
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Red Ombre Look
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Cotton Candy Hair Dye
Plaited Bridesmaid Hairstyle Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...