A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monkeys Monkeys MONKEYS! *updated 7/25!* *updated 8/23!*  (Read 2824 times)
Tags for this thread: sock_monkey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 12, 2013 02:20:16 PM »

I'm on a monkey kick lately. They are great for birthday presents. I learned how to make them when TitaniamHip sent me 2 in my first ever most fabulous Craftster swap. (And when I say learned I mean I say it and I wanted more so I figured it out. Like a good little Craftster, right?) Way too many pics. Deal with it, K? Because you love me?

These 3 were made for my friends' kids, all 3 had birthdays in June.

For Hay:

For Layne: (I almost put sparkly stars on the chest but decided a 3 year old doesn't need a stripper monkey)

For Dilly: No buttons because she's only 1

My neighbors had 2 birthdays, also in June:
For Isaac: buttons on buttons!

For Makayla:

I was going to use these 2 as toy drops but then some random people from church invited us o their birthdays and I was like "S***! What to do for gifts? Oh, MONKEYS!"

Look, I used a crochet hook to give him a top-knot and a beard, because these socks had been used and had patches worth covering. He also has eyebrows! EYEBROWS! On a sock monkey!

And for his friend: this one used baby knee high socks. Did you know they made knee highs for babies? Neither did I! But they do! And they make the most adorable little sock monkeys EVER! And the little kid probably doesn't even appreciate him, figures, right?

And the rest are going to the Farmer's Market with me tomorrow! Wee! I figure since it's starting on July 13th of 2013 I should have 13 monkeys, eh? Maybe it's coincidence but maybe not? Anywho, here they are all set up as I hope they will be at the market in the morning:

Super Monkey with removable mask...

... and cape

One of my faves: G thinks this one looks like Groucho Marx and is mad I haven't made a mustache for him yet. Hat courtesy of that toilet paper roll hat tute here on C-ster.

This guy is snazzy:

Why is this pic so fuzzy? What the hell? I don't care that much about this guy anyway. I could not get a personality on him! His eyes are stars, though.

Mike, the cancer monkey:

One of my faves:

Button courtesy of Zombie Queen in a MYB swap:

And I have 7 more in the works. When I make them en masse like this I do each step for each monkey all at once. Like I started with 7 pair of socks and I went through and cut each pair into the necessary 7 pieces, then I stitched each pair, then I turned each pair... Now I need to stuff them all and then I get to do the hand stitching (ugh, least favorite part), and then I get to give them personalities! That's the best part, though also the most time consuming and often the most aggravating. I'm a little OCD.

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed them. I do!

*UPDATED 7/25/13*
I'm still making them (19 in 8 days, I know some of you are getting tired of hearing it but ACK!) and I don't want to waste another post with them but I still want them to be seen. Well, most of them. I've posted more pics on page 2. Not each one gets it's own pic this time, but they are still there! Love them!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013 04:54:43 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013 02:51:05 PM »

Awesome monkeys! I love the striped ones, I've looked and looked for neat stripey socks here and have yet to find any. Yours are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013 02:58:39 PM »

Jexxi these are freaking cute!!  Love the little guy with the top hat!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JenniferSavage
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013 08:45:08 PM »

These are all amazing, but I *love* the Groucho Marx one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
madame marigold
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013 05:13:07 AM »

Omgoodness they are adorable! I think you have swayed me over to the dark sockmonkey side!

I dont know how you guys can sell them  Grin my problem would be parting with them! (My fav is the flowery long arms one as well BTW!) soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013 11:48:53 AM »

Thanks everyone! Madame, it's a lot easier parting with them when I make them knowing they will go to other people. I sold 6 of these today at the market, with "special orders" for 4 more. One lady I wouldn't let buy any because they all have buttons and she wanted it for a soon-to-be grandchild. No buttons for babies! I need to make a bunch with no buttons or accessories now I guess. Oh, darn! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

Midnight Sun

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013 07:47:57 AM »

I loveeeeeeeeee these!  You have the monkey fever  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
jexxican

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013 02:16:30 PM »

I do have the fever. I made 10 new monkeys last week! I didn't take pics of them all, though I should. There is a Superman inspired one, a Batman inspired one, and a Hungry Caterpillar one all for special orders. And I have bodies for 8 more! Eep! I won't bog down C-ster too much more with pics of all of them, but those first 3 might have to get some attention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Dolphin girl
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013 11:30:38 AM »

like the sock monkeys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigiscreations
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013 12:25:11 PM »

Great job ! Here is my first attempt at a sock monkey. My nephews love them and I was going to give them for christmas presents but never got to get them done ! I will come back and upload a picture once I am allowed !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
How to Make a “No-Cook” BLT Flatbread
Traditional Crawfish Etouffee
How to Make a Grilled Reuben Sandwich
How to Make Your Own Egg McMuffin
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...