A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monkeys Monkeys MONKEYS! *updated 7/25!* *updated 8/23!*  (Read 2811 times)
Tags for this thread: sock_monkey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 12, 2013 02:20:16 PM »

I'm on a monkey kick lately. They are great for birthday presents. I learned how to make them when TitaniamHip sent me 2 in my first ever most fabulous Craftster swap. (And when I say learned I mean I say it and I wanted more so I figured it out. Like a good little Craftster, right?) Way too many pics. Deal with it, K? Because you love me?

These 3 were made for my friends' kids, all 3 had birthdays in June.

For Hay:

For Layne: (I almost put sparkly stars on the chest but decided a 3 year old doesn't need a stripper monkey)

For Dilly: No buttons because she's only 1

My neighbors had 2 birthdays, also in June:
For Isaac: buttons on buttons!

For Makayla:

I was going to use these 2 as toy drops but then some random people from church invited us o their birthdays and I was like "S***! What to do for gifts? Oh, MONKEYS!"

Look, I used a crochet hook to give him a top-knot and a beard, because these socks had been used and had patches worth covering. He also has eyebrows! EYEBROWS! On a sock monkey!

And for his friend: this one used baby knee high socks. Did you know they made knee highs for babies? Neither did I! But they do! And they make the most adorable little sock monkeys EVER! And the little kid probably doesn't even appreciate him, figures, right?

And the rest are going to the Farmer's Market with me tomorrow! Wee! I figure since it's starting on July 13th of 2013 I should have 13 monkeys, eh? Maybe it's coincidence but maybe not? Anywho, here they are all set up as I hope they will be at the market in the morning:

Super Monkey with removable mask...

... and cape

One of my faves: G thinks this one looks like Groucho Marx and is mad I haven't made a mustache for him yet. Hat courtesy of that toilet paper roll hat tute here on C-ster.

This guy is snazzy:

Why is this pic so fuzzy? What the hell? I don't care that much about this guy anyway. I could not get a personality on him! His eyes are stars, though.

Mike, the cancer monkey:

One of my faves:

Button courtesy of Zombie Queen in a MYB swap:

And I have 7 more in the works. When I make them en masse like this I do each step for each monkey all at once. Like I started with 7 pair of socks and I went through and cut each pair into the necessary 7 pieces, then I stitched each pair, then I turned each pair... Now I need to stuff them all and then I get to do the hand stitching (ugh, least favorite part), and then I get to give them personalities! That's the best part, though also the most time consuming and often the most aggravating. I'm a little OCD.

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed them. I do!

*UPDATED 7/25/13*
I'm still making them (19 in 8 days, I know some of you are getting tired of hearing it but ACK!) and I don't want to waste another post with them but I still want them to be seen. Well, most of them. I've posted more pics on page 2. Not each one gets it's own pic this time, but they are still there! Love them!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013 04:54:43 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013 02:51:05 PM »

Awesome monkeys! I love the striped ones, I've looked and looked for neat stripey socks here and have yet to find any. Yours are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013 02:58:39 PM »

Jexxi these are freaking cute!!  Love the little guy with the top hat!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JenniferSavage
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013 08:45:08 PM »

These are all amazing, but I *love* the Groucho Marx one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
madame marigold
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013 05:13:07 AM »

Omgoodness they are adorable! I think you have swayed me over to the dark sockmonkey side!

I dont know how you guys can sell them  Grin my problem would be parting with them! (My fav is the flowery long arms one as well BTW!) soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013 11:48:53 AM »

Thanks everyone! Madame, it's a lot easier parting with them when I make them knowing they will go to other people. I sold 6 of these today at the market, with "special orders" for 4 more. One lady I wouldn't let buy any because they all have buttons and she wanted it for a soon-to-be grandchild. No buttons for babies! I need to make a bunch with no buttons or accessories now I guess. Oh, darn! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

Midnight Sun

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013 07:47:57 AM »

I loveeeeeeeeee these!  You have the monkey fever  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
jexxican

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013 02:16:30 PM »

I do have the fever. I made 10 new monkeys last week! I didn't take pics of them all, though I should. There is a Superman inspired one, a Batman inspired one, and a Hungry Caterpillar one all for special orders. And I have bodies for 8 more! Eep! I won't bog down C-ster too much more with pics of all of them, but those first 3 might have to get some attention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Dolphin girl
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013 11:30:38 AM »

like the sock monkeys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigiscreations
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013 12:25:11 PM »

Great job ! Here is my first attempt at a sock monkey. My nephews love them and I was going to give them for christmas presents but never got to get them done ! I will come back and upload a picture once I am allowed !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013 01:11:51 PM »

OK, so I've made 19 of these guys in 8 days. ACK! Here's most of my recent works. I sold some before I got them photographed but the main ones I wanted to show you were the first 3.

These were special ordered from another vendor at the farmer's market:

Superman monkey with a "W" for the boy's first name:

Batman monkey:

And a Very Hungry Caterpillar monkey. I still feel like he's missing something. Any thoughts?

I've been trying some with no buttons. The first 2 of these lack buttons like the VHC one above. You can't see it very well but the first one has felt eyes sewn in place and the second one has stitched eyes.

These 3 were really fun:

The first one there was already assembled without a face (Hooker stage) before I started these so I guess I technically made only 18 1/2 in 8 days but still, that's a lot of monkeys! And since I like the lotus on that one (made from super here mask scraps) so much, here's a close up:

I don't like his eyes very much, though. I think I need to find some small buttons or maybe just stitch bigger circles than the French knots I used. Thoughts?

And a robot monkey. Loved the evolution of this one's personality. It makes up for the other ones that are a little Meh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013 01:12:49 PM »

Dolphin girl and Gigi's creations, thanks so much! I can't wait to see your monkey, Gigi. You should make your own post for it, that's special!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013 07:49:49 PM »

I love the robot one jexxican!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
jexxican

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013 05:47:58 AM »

Thanks, mama! He was one of the first ones sold yesterday! In fact, other than the first 3 in my last picture post, I only have 2 monkeys left, being Mike the Cancer Monkey and Gangster Monkey, which I just realized the pic with Gangster Monkey isn't up there. *gasp*

There you go, you get Tooth pocket Monkey, Gangster Monkey, and what turned out to be called Pirate Monkey by the boy who took him.

I've decided this thread is going to be constantly expanding with monkeys I make this year. I'm not trying to advertise because I'm not selling them anywhere but locally on Saturdays, but they are selling really good and each one really is different so the more I sell, the more I make and the more I have to share right? Instead of creating new threads each week, I'm just going to keep updating this one. I don't care if people don't comment, I'm really more worried about just making a record for myself if that makes sense. I used to keep a list of all the things I made each month but I don't anymore and I feel like I need to catalog my doings somehow so I hope this is OK. Kind of like a C-ster Monkey Journal if that's cool. (Oh no, I'm awake too early and rambling again.)

Thanks again everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013 07:48:01 AM »

They are all so cute!  Maybe, I should check out renting a booth at our local Farmers Market, and try selling my stuffed animals there.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.  My husband's agents and boss ordered a few sock monkeys from me.  Each one had a specific theme.  My husband said the other day, that I should make some more sock monkeys to sell.  I just might do that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013 01:17:52 PM »

Do it, gotgrey. It's amazing fun to see all those kids walking away with giant grins on their faces.
I thought it would be fun to show some progress shots of how I make my monkeys. I do it all assembly line style so at any of these stages I have had up to 35 in progress all in the same stage. Crazy! Thank you cuffs for keeping it all organized.

Start with a pile of socks, cut each pair into 7 pieces, saving one of the cuffs to wrap them with:

Sew 6 of the pieces, chaining them so they all stay together, but still wrapping with the cuff at the end:

Trim and turn those 6 pieces:

Stuff 5 pieces:

Assemble! This is my least favorite stage.

And then after that I personalize them. Lately I've been making that a whole new step, personalizing a bunch at a time, putting all the pieces in a fold top bag and pinning it to the monkey's forehead. Then I stitch them all in a row. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013 01:23:22 PM »

This weeks monkeys:

Picasso monkey:

Mustache Monkey:

No buttons:

Cyclops with his bitches:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013 05:00:46 PM »

Last week's new monkeys:

Buttonless

That dark one was the first to sell last week which surprised me. And Gangster Monkey was in there before but he got an upgrade.

These 2 are fraternal twins because from the front they both look like plain socks but their backs...

are stripey!

This week's new monkeys:

buttonless

More buttonless. But the black one is my fave this week. Looky:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013 04:18:57 PM »

This week's monkeys:

no buttons! The one on the end looks evil.

This guy is inside out! One of my anxieties is sewing that I'm going to sew one piece inside out so I took that anxiety and made a whole monkey out of it. And if he's inside out you should be able to see his heart, right? Oh, maybe I should make some ribs over it. Hm... we'll see if he sells tomorrow and if not maybe I will update him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013 04:30:24 PM »

I love the inside out one! It must have been so much easier to make not having to turn it! Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy
Pinterest
jexxican

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013 05:09:42 PM »

Mama, not turning it actually made it a little difficult to sew it all together. Totally different coordination used for making those seams look right. And it still hasn't sold! Oh well, I love him. And the one in the first pic on the last post that I said looked evil was the first to sell last week, too! Crazy!

I wasn't going to make more this past week but decided Wednesday I should. So I made 5! No buttons at all this week, I think I'm getting lazy, even though I did get a few "new" buttons this week from stuff. Yay!

That last one I was surprised with how he came out. I tend to try to mimic the pattern of the sock in the design but that was all stripey socks and all organic design. Hm. I like him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

mrskristina
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013 03:02:06 PM »

These are wonderful! I love them. The hand stitching looks amazing and the little hat (I think on the original post) just makes my day. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Redrock13
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013 04:48:41 AM »

Love the purple and pink one..it looks like he has a secret,and he is smiling on the inside..
So great...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013 03:44:17 PM »

Hey, thanks you two!

These are the last monkeys of the season. My last day at Market was September 28. I've been busy, though, so I haven't had any uploading time.

No buttons:

Buttons:

Made with socks from the same bundle:

No buttons:

Buttons!

I recently moved so my sewing machine is not just hooked up but I've been trying to work on monkeys at least some each week so I'm not overwhelmed next summer. So far I've been buying socks and cutting them. That's all I can do until my machine is up and running. I have well over 40 pair of socks cut up and waiting right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

DreamWeaverDIY
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013 09:53:22 AM »

I love the gentleman monkey :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014 07:14:58 PM »

Thanks, dream weaver. I've started a thread for this year's monkeys, rather than just keep updating this one. I've got some good ones. I'm excited to see who they all go to! It makes it worth it when someone falls in love with a certain monkey I've made. I've had people tell me it was like the monkey was designed just for them! That makes me happy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014 07:15:37 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Book Published
4 Young Adult Books For Your Summer Reading List
Nancy Ohlin Shares the Inspiration Behind Her Novels
Behind the Scenes: Endless Knight Cover Shoot
Discover 5 Ways to Improve Your Memory
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...