A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fibre Friday July 12 2013  (Read 876 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , handspun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: July 12, 2013 11:59:54 AM »

This week, I started plying some purplish "botany lap waste" from World of Wool, skeined/washed/finished Thunder and Lightning (155 yards worsted/aran weight, woolen draw, chain plied), and had to dive straight into spinning raw-carded alpaca I bought. It smells barny and leaves my hands dirty, but OMGSOFT.  

I wasn't expecting the batts at all, as I'd ordered both alpaca prime and seconds. I've got about half the prime washed, so now it smells of barn AND cucumber melon. And everywhere I go now, all I smell is alpaca. IT'S TAKING OVER!!!!

What are you guys working on?  Grin
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013 12:17:39 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013 12:06:42 PM »

Your yarns look lovely and OMG that alpaca sounds amazing. I'm jealous. I think that's the first time I've ever used OMG but it's totally worth it. I love it all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
nikschaf
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013 01:21:50 PM »

Mmmm...lovely photos!  That alpaca looks amazing!!  I love alpaca.

I have one yarn this week.  "Sweet corn" , 180 yards, plied with sewing thread.  All I could think while I was spinning it was, "niblets, niblets, niblets."

That yarn gave me so much trouble!  It was the very last dregs of some mystery fiber from Sheep Shed.  I dyed it with Wiltons.  I don't know what happened, but it came out of the dye bath so felted!  I couldn't spin it from rovings, even pre-drafted.  So I made it into faux rolags and spun it woolen.  It's very uneven, but very soft.  There are bits and bobs of mohair in there.  I must have left it for last to use b/c it was the least appealing bits of roving in the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013 10:18:21 PM »

Loving the alpaca locks ... I'm a real sucker for crimp!  Thunder & lightening looks mah-va-lous!!

niks ... perfect name for that skein!!!  it's almost edible!!

rovings/bits/tails/et al from SS ... I always open it up before dyeing and then again after dyeing (while it is still wet).  Got that hint from Carol Lee.  So much of what she sells has been compressed for so long, that it needs to be opened up and allow to breathe a day or so before doing anything else with it.

No photos of spinning this week.  I spent my time at the homestead of very good friends a couple of hours away.  They are completely off grid, although will generate their own power once a week for the Speed Queen washer and sometimes in the evening for a movie using a gas generator ran off one of their tractors. (in the works is a water fed generator!!)   Their small fridge/freezer is powered by propane.  No piped water into the house, although they have a couple of wonderful artisian springs on their place.  Best tasting water ever!!  It is my home away from home and a place I can truly get away from it all.

I visited other friends in the area and made a new friend who wanted to learn to spin ... even though I hadn't brought any of my spinning tools with me, I borrowed a wheel from one of my friends down there and carded fiber (ready to spin) plus hand cards & washed fiber from another friend and went about my 'DUTY' of the NW IL Fiber Enabler (although now I have to extend it to Central IL Fiber Enabler!!) It went something like this:  Ms D introduced me to Ms S.  Ms S wanted to learn to spin, so I borrowed a wheel from Ms J and fiber from Mr T and went with Ms D over to Ms S (who is also totally off grid!) & taught her how to spin ... then watched her spin up at least 50 - 80  yards of some real nice rambouliet (sp?)

My student spinning after just 20 minutes of my tutelage:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013 09:19:06 AM »

Way to go, Cyndi!!  That's great your student was up and spinning so fast!  The thought of teaching someone to spin always sounds daunting to me, but I suppose if you have a very eager learner, it helps.  That homestead sounds amazing.

Thanks for the tips about the sheep shed roving.  You know what's funny?  I've dyed Sheep Shed roving about a million times, and this was the most frustrating result I've had.  I do think in part I just naturally avoided grabbing these bits and bobs until the end.  But the other problem might have been that I have more experience than I used to, and DIDN"T open up the roving while it was wet!  The first several times I dyed fiber, I was so fascinated by the process that I couldn't resist opening up the roving while it was drying, to see if the dye had really soaked through to the center, and to see how the colors blended.  I was proud of myself this time because I DIDN"T fuss around with the roving and fluff it open while it was wet, because it was only a single color.  Whoulda thunk I would have had better results spinning it if I HAD been as curious as usual and spread apart the fiber while it was wet.  I did kind of open up the fiber before dyeing, but not at all while it was wet this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013 12:00:01 PM »

Cyndi, that homesteading experience sounds amazing! And to have all those people around with so many resources, I'm amazed she didn't learn to spin sooner!

Nik, corn! How fun!

I spun at the market today and only sold 1 skein of yarn. Pbbt. Pbbt I say! But I sold 6 monkeys so I guess they were a good addition to my booth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013 04:01:35 PM »

Hey, sales are sales!  Good job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013 09:26:06 PM »

your first picture is gorgeous, alexus!  All those yarns sound really fun too.
Niks, that so totally looks like corn. edible. perfectly edible!
MLF, How fun! I love the idea of teaching people to spin. I really hope to be able to do that one day.

... And here's the me in my Mod Hat.  I know its just about the Market, but I do need to remind you guys we aren't really supposed to talk about selling on the forums.  Smiley  ...
/end Mod Hat
Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013 10:55:15 AM »

Oh Nikschaf! LOVE the colour! Totally makes me think of corn niblets Cheesy I think I got the same mohair blend in my SS box, it was bits and chunks. I had to fluff it a LOT while it was drying after dying because it was all clumped up and even then it took over 24 hours to dry. I carded it into rolags and it worked out pretty well.

Cyndi, you've got the best fibre-loving friends EVAR! Although how they live without internet boggles my mind. I'm cool with spending a week at the cottage with filtered rain water and propane cooking, but then I spend at least 3 hours catching up online once I get home Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013 07:16:51 AM »

Very nice!  They all look clean and uplifting (except for the "doom and gloom" T&T!).

Alexus, I see you're from Kirkland Lake.  I'm in Timmins.  Do you have local access to the alpaca?  Are you familiar with Dream Acres in Matheson?  I was going to pick some of her alpaca at the Urban Market (a newer farmer's market that is open every Wednesday and Thursday downtown Timmins) but am not sure if the prices are fair.  Maybe we can discuss a bit more privately if we're not able to do so here?  Belladune, I hope this didn't cross any line.  =)

I spun some Icelandic lamb fleece last week but haven't set it yet.  I also worked on some superwash merino, with added bits of silk, seacell, bamboo, soysilk, tencel and banana.  This last one is drafting way easier than any previous project and I think I'm getting the hang of things, like being better at controlling yarn thickness and working a bit faster.  I'm hoping to have the projects ready to post for the upcoming Fiber Friday.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographers Capture Urban Decay
Rineke Dijkstra: When Art Reflects Art
Bob Gruen LIVE
How to Get the Best Shot on Your Digital Camera
Tailor & Shoemaker - The Sartorialist for AOL On
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...