A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: book club swap?  (Read 2469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 12, 2013 11:21:18 AM »

hi everyone!  my name is Jo and I am a whore for books.
(everyone: "hi, Jo!")

OK also love to craft.  and now I'm trying to think of a swap that might bring the 2 together.  perhaps there are like minded individuals out there?

I see a few different ways to accomplish this . . .

1 - a book is assigned and participants are given a month to read and craft (thinking a 3 point swap where at least a small is related to the book)

2 - which I like better - swap partners are assigned by interests and each person sends one of their favorite books and a related craft.  so, for instance, I might send a copy of the hunger games and a mockingjay shirt.

3 - maybe it is just a book club type read-along and everyone swaps related bookmarks or atc's or inches (for those ebookers).  if we make it a monthly affair we could acquire a nice collection of literary artwork?

please tell me there are other readers out there?

jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.com
BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013 01:02:41 PM »

This sounds intriguing...your choice #2 kinda makes me think of a "getting to know you swap" in that you would pick a book you like, craft for that book, and then send it to your partner...then your partner can hopefully be introduced to a new genre/book/author....that sounds cool to me...we could list fav authors/genres/etc we read as well as themes/places/genres etc we'd like to read to help with partnering etc. I mean, if someone is really into classics, they may not appreciate the zombie apocalypse, but then again, they might....I think a 3 pt swap would be great..I, myself, prefer smaller swaps.

Just food for thought...many of us probably have an ireader of sorts,Nook, Kindle, etc--just throwing that out there. 

Of course, it could be a 2 part swap, in that 1) you send your partner a book to read, or you tell  them which book you'd like them to read and they get it themselves (saves on shipping, and time)

Then, allow some time for reading, and then they craft a med 3pt for that book...of course, this leads to a very long swap so....it's probably best to craft for the book you are sending...but wow, so many possibilities.

I would be available for this swap say mid-August when the kiddos go back to school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frugal Living Swap Rd 6: Sent!
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013 02:37:53 PM »

I like number two a lot.

It sounds really fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013 07:07:57 PM »

This could get me back into reading!  I like it, and I just had to chime in, I am one of the ones without an ereader, I just love my hardcovers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
KookaburraBot
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013 07:45:54 PM »

I really like this idea! I'm a big book worm and would love to see this swap happen. I like #2 as well, although sending the book itself can be pricey due to their weight sometimes, and I just can't get into e-readers. Nothing against them, they're just not for me. Moving on, I'd definitely be in for this swap. I'll be keeping an eye out for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Personal Swaps
Feel free to stalk/ talk to me!
http://pinterest.com/kookaburrabot/
http://kookaburrabot.tumblr.com/
jo_mama
call me jo.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013 09:54:39 AM »

I'm glad to see some interest!  I have one book club, and we meet once a month.  we all bring snacks and I always try to theme my snacks to the book.  it's fun.  but I need more!

I'm gonna keep thinking to see if there's another way to do it.  I really like the read-along, because it's nice to be able to discuss the book you're reading with others. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013 03:36:43 PM »

I've been doing a lot of book-inspired crafts lately, so I'm interested!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013 07:48:01 PM »

Could do another just like the Old fashioned book lovers swap http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418876.0#axzz2MbmnPHip. That was an amazing swap! then again, it could just be that I had the most amazing partner for it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jo_mama
call me jo.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013 10:07:42 PM »

Could do another just like the Old fashioned book lovers swap http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418876.0#axzz2MbmnPHip. That was an amazing swap! then again, it could just be that I had the most amazing partner for it Cheesy

uh, yes, exactly.  where was I when this happened.  sigh.  yes - somebody organize, because I want, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eiseldora
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013 12:56:34 AM »

I suggest that you partner people based on what they like about books.

Do they love the characters and prefer to read series in order to get to know everyone?

Do they love the feel and pace of a book that sucks them in an keeps them turning the pages?

Do they love exploring a world and seeing what life was like in the past or will be like in the far future?

Do they read just to savor the words and language from the books?

If you pair people who have similar answers to these questions they have a greater likely hood of enjoying the same books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch This Instead Predators
How to Export Your Project in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Create a Custom Sequence in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Capture Footage in Premiere Pro CS5
Watch This Instead Review of The Last Airbender
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...