A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about rings  (Read 426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hotpinkaurora
« on: July 11, 2013 09:51:20 PM »

I bought an item called "Adjustable Ring Blanks Bases, Cabochon Cameo Setting Silver Flat Pad Ring Base Beaded Jewelry A6-003" purchased 10 total, I want to make resin rings. Anyways in the item description the following is listed:
Material: Surgical Stainless Steel (lead-safe metal alloy)
Nickel Free
Silver finish basemetal

I'm currently wearing one to give it a long term test; I want to sell these one day, as completed rings, but I'm trying to avoid rings that turn your finger green.

Is there a way to expedite the oxidation or whatever it is rings do when they turn skin green?

I'm new here, so Hi! And also, where do I go to edit my profile? Thanks (=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KRSTN
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013 05:49:08 PM »

Any kind of cheap metal will turn your finger green i'm pretty sure. i know there is a trick where you can coat it in clear nail polish and it will prevent it but i dont think it will last very long.

Sterling silver i think is the only silver that won't turn your finger green as far as i know, because its plated. But it really depends on the person's skin. i know my cousin can only wear sterling silver and gold because she is allergic to other metals. I also know some people who can wear cheap costume jewellery and there fingers never turn green.

That's all i know. and i'm not even sure if i'm accurate. Try talking to a jeweler. I would hope they knew more than me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013 09:36:09 PM »

I find copper and nickel turn my fingers green, I've got hella metal allergies so its 14k gold or purer or sterling silver or I cant wear it...hell I've got trouble with surgical steel and titanium sometimes too (depending ofc on what its coated in)...never had much luck with the clear nail polish though, I tend to be rough on my jewelry so I always end up wearin it off fast and endin up with green fingers or wrists or what have you xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013 12:30:16 AM »

Nope, you gotta wait and see. This also doesn't happen for everyone, and not always with the same metals. It depends on your own personal chemistry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.ets y.com >>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...