A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Mermaid's Ride aka Mr. Seahorse - Art Doll Swap (Mucho Photos)  (Read 7510 times)
Tags for this thread: art_doll , seahorse , featured_project , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wise One
« on: July 11, 2013 10:15:04 AM »

So I signed up for the Art Doll Swap organized by our darling Smmarrt.  I can do this, piece of cake!  I check out the various galleries for prior swaps.  No problem.  When I get my partner's questionnaire, everything changes.  PilarFarmer wants a mermaid.  I can do it.  The mermaid face comes out looking like a psychotic skunk.  Gaaah!  I cut the thing in half.  Panic sets in.  I'm waking up in the middle of the night thinking... Gaaah!  They're gonna kick me out of craftster.  Can I send half an art doll?

Plan B.  What does a mermaid ride?  A seahorse.  I can do it.  I can do it.  Like the train that could get up the mountain.  I scour the internet for a cool pattern and find one on liaspace.  Just one of the numerous choices of free seahorse patterns out there.  I print that baby out and using leftover green fabric from the fabric printing swap, I cut my seahorse out and sew right over the pattern leaving a generous space to turn it inside out.  Easy breezy.

I can't get the nose to turn inside out.  Much less the tail.  Gaaah!  Can I just stuff it with all the edges showing?  I'm really gonna get kicked out of craftster.  What the heck.  Just stuff the dern thing.  Make it work.  Why oh why did I ever join craftster?  I stuff the seahorse nose.  No problem.  I go to stuff the tail and notice how looped around it is?  This pattern is impossible.  So I take out the trusty seam ripper and rip out one side of the tail.  Notice how tiny the stitches are and how I've double stitched for stability?  Yep, that all has to be ripped out.

I stuff the tail an inch at a time and sew.  Another inch and sew.  The tail looks a little floppy so I rummage through the supplies and find a couple of pipe cleaners to stick in for sturdiness. 

It's coming along well and I'm finally thinking that I will have a suitable doll to send to PilarFarmer.  Something that I am proud to send out.  Not bad, eh?

I go back and double check Pilar's questionnaire just cause.   Shocked  She doesn't like green.  Gaaah!  At this point, I need to tell you that my husband supports me tremendously when I get to this place.  He actually sits with me and brainstorms.  He says, "Why don't you wrap it?"  I get online yet again and start googling art doll seahorses.  I come upon this artist Joy Kirkwood who has amazing dolls.  I wanna take a class with her at some point.  But that's an aside.  I need to get this doll done by the send-out deadline.  I need to focus and start wrapping.

And many hours later...

I start to relax and enjoy the creating process.  I have a presentable doll that I hope my swap partner will be happy with.  Whew.  Big sigh of relief.  Am I the only one that goes through this?

Now it's time to play.  I add all sorts of embellishments from my stash.  Between each wrap, I embroider or add a string of fuzzy yarn or stone beads.  I wrap the nose with an old broken necklace chain.  I wrap a pipe cleaner with more fabric and embroider it down the back.  I use a old washer and wrap it with fabric for the eyeball.  I find some ribbon for the seahorse wings.  When I'm finally done, my husband insists that I add a seahorse baby and a pouch as it's the male seahorses that raise the young. And I'm glad I did, cause it's one of the best elements, don't you think?  It was really hard to put this art doll in the mail.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes not so wise Smiley
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013 10:33:38 AM »

This is AH-Mazing! I love it. And the technique is soo cool as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013 10:53:24 AM »

OMG I love this to pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
mama24boyz
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013 11:04:57 AM »

This is awesome!!! I'm so glad your mermaid didn't work out!  I am so totally pinning this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
P_E_S_T
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013 11:17:38 AM »

so so so so so so beautiful !!!! Pinned and Rocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
Smmarrt

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013 11:44:44 AM »

It is beautiful and so worth all the effort you put in to it.
I doubt Craftster 'kicks' people out for doll failures. If that were the case, I'd be out on the sidewalk looking in.

Such a great project and result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Winter Ninni Swap - Sign ups 12/01 - 12/15
4 x 6 Art Swap - January 2015
Fabric Art Journal Pages - February 2015
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013 11:58:58 AM »

This is just fantastic! I love it & I'm pinning it too  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
margiej
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013 02:13:29 PM »

wonderful!  love it and your howto!  (or howdid!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013 03:57:18 PM »

This turned out AMAZING!! And to think you would have never done this if the doll had worked out in the first place. Good thing! (And I love your story of the process and how you got there  Smiley).

This ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013 04:30:43 PM »

Ahhhhh I love this so much! Wonderful. And I love that you show your process pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Blowout Last the Entire Week
How to Achieve Ombre Hair Color At-Home
A Comb That Rids Frizz
Christo Shows How to Style Curly Hair
How To Do Athena Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...