A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Biggest challenges when crafting?  (Read 1768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Blue Sky Alpaca
« on: July 11, 2013 08:56:03 AM »

What are some of your biggest challenges or most frustrating things when you're crafting?

Mine's when I'm trying to learn something new on a video tutorial and I just can't wrap my brain around it and end up having to watch the video a million times before it clicks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013 09:12:27 AM »

OMG-I can testify that I have two:

(BTW, I'm talking about crocheting.)

One, trying to make something that I think I know how to make and seems easy when I look at it.  But when I start it, IT WON'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!  (Ask Alwaysinmyroom about the triangular shaped shawl on her Pinterest that I tried FIVE TIMES to make her for the IYP swap!  Sad)

Two, patterns that are not written well or clearly enough.  I have had to start and frog and start and frog, etc...so many times when I try something new b/c of this.  It's VERY aggravating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013 09:29:12 AM »

ha I have watched quite a few videos to try that awesome crocodile stitch you used for my lovely bag and I STILL can't seem to get it...I just need someone to show me...road trip to your house, LB&BB! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013 09:48:09 AM »

Giving myself permission to be creative just for myself, without any money-making purpose or usefulness.  I've had to get over a certain amount of crafting guilt, because there's always something else I "should" be doing, like cleaning the house.   

Disorganized and too many supplies, crowding my work space, because I have a lot of supplies for my professional work (I make costumes and props), and I went through a period of hoarding fabric, which has sort of taken over all the space.

So, guilt and disorganization are my two biggest challenges.   Tongue  Fortunately the nerd-along has helped me get over the first one, at least for the time being.  Not sure what do with the second.  Maybe I should join the destash-along....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Kerantli
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013 09:44:56 AM »

Mine is just finding the time to craft at the moment. I'll sit down to make something, and the next thing I know, I'm up and about having to do something else or deal with two fighting kiddies or a Mr that is feeling left out.
I can't wait til I can hole myself in a room of my own and craft til my heart is content!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naantje
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013 05:10:52 AM »

My biggest frustration? My tendency to develop RSI in my wrists or shoulders when knitting or crocheting... I need to take frequent brakes and I don't like doing that, so I end up with painful joints Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
artista83
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013 09:08:39 AM »

my biggest challenge is not having a printer! i have to hand paint everything and sometimes i wish i could print off some pictures when i am working on altered art, and i would love to do sooo many things like i want to make a book of the altered pbs from the swap soooo bad, but i cant print off any of the pics of the brushes! i have photopaper for whenever i finallyget a printer bc i want them printed on photopaper. i think it would be sooo fun to make a book of ideas and inspiration also from stuff i see, but .....probably going to be a long time bf i can get a printer , no work for hub atm. Sad
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 12:34:33 AM by artista83 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013 10:41:25 AM »

Time for sure - sometimes I would just love to spend all day just working on my creative vision - but unfortunately one has to pay the mortgage and bills, walk the dogs, do the chores, laundry, cleaning, etc.

That, and space/organization/storage - I definitely need to organize my space better, as I am not going to get more space. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Jenmnky
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013 12:16:01 AM »

Getting an idea in your head of a craft you just KNOW will be amazing and then trying to get the time to start with with work and three kiddos  Cheesy I am usually trying to start it at night after a full days work and three kids in bed when my brain has gone on strike lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WitchyPuOnline
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014 09:40:15 PM »

Finding enough time is usually my problem, but now it's space. I wish I had more of it like back home, but I will try to live with what I got for the next 3months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beware the "crafter" after midnight!

Swaps
OTST:Done
LV:current
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Hester Browne
Jonathan Segura: Discusses His Debut Novel Occupational Hazards
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Reveal Their Favorite Words
Peter Walsh Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Peter Walsh Talks About Enough Already
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...