A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Biggest challenges when crafting?  (Read 2778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Blue Sky Alpaca
« on: July 11, 2013 08:56:03 AM »

What are some of your biggest challenges or most frustrating things when you're crafting?

Mine's when I'm trying to learn something new on a video tutorial and I just can't wrap my brain around it and end up having to watch the video a million times before it clicks.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013 09:12:27 AM »

OMG-I can testify that I have two:

(BTW, I'm talking about crocheting.)

One, trying to make something that I think I know how to make and seems easy when I look at it.  But when I start it, IT WON'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!  (Ask Alwaysinmyroom about the triangular shaped shawl on her Pinterest that I tried FIVE TIMES to make her for the IYP swap!  Sad)

Two, patterns that are not written well or clearly enough.  I have had to start and frog and start and frog, etc...so many times when I try something new b/c of this.  It's VERY aggravating.

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl (my personal pinterest)
http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)
I'm on instagram:  ladybuggirlcrafts

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Live Life Like You Want To!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013 09:29:12 AM »

ha I have watched quite a few videos to try that awesome crocodile stitch you used for my lovely bag and I STILL can't seem to get it...I just need someone to show me...road trip to your house, LB&BB! Grin

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013 09:48:09 AM »

Giving myself permission to be creative just for myself, without any money-making purpose or usefulness.  I've had to get over a certain amount of crafting guilt, because there's always something else I "should" be doing, like cleaning the house.   

Disorganized and too many supplies, crowding my work space, because I have a lot of supplies for my professional work (I make costumes and props), and I went through a period of hoarding fabric, which has sort of taken over all the space.

So, guilt and disorganization are my two biggest challenges.   Tongue  Fortunately the nerd-along has helped me get over the first one, at least for the time being.  Not sure what do with the second.  Maybe I should join the destash-along....

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013 09:44:56 AM »

Mine is just finding the time to craft at the moment. I'll sit down to make something, and the next thing I know, I'm up and about having to do something else or deal with two fighting kiddies or a Mr that is feeling left out.
I can't wait til I can hole myself in a room of my own and craft til my heart is content!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013 05:10:52 AM »

My biggest frustration? My tendency to develop RSI in my wrists or shoulders when knitting or crocheting... I need to take frequent brakes and I don't like doing that, so I end up with painful joints Sad

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013 09:08:39 AM »

my biggest challenge is not having a printer! i have to hand paint everything and sometimes i wish i could print off some pictures when i am working on altered art, and i would love to do sooo many things like i want to make a book of the altered pbs from the swap soooo bad, but i cant print off any of the pics of the brushes! i have photopaper for whenever i finallyget a printer bc i want them printed on photopaper. i think it would be sooo fun to make a book of ideas and inspiration also from stuff i see, but .....probably going to be a long time bf i can get a printer , no work for hub atm. Sad
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 12:34:33 AM by artista83 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013 10:41:25 AM »

Time for sure - sometimes I would just love to spend all day just working on my creative vision - but unfortunately one has to pay the mortgage and bills, walk the dogs, do the chores, laundry, cleaning, etc.

That, and space/organization/storage - I definitely need to organize my space better, as I am not going to get more space. 

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013 12:16:01 AM »

Getting an idea in your head of a craft you just KNOW will be amazing and then trying to get the time to start with with work and three kiddos  Cheesy I am usually trying to start it at night after a full days work and three kids in bed when my brain has gone on strike lol
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014 09:40:15 PM »

Finding enough time is usually my problem, but now it's space. I wish I had more of it like back home, but I will try to live with what I got for the next 3months.

Beware the "crafter" after midnight!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 8/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 9/10
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 1/15
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...